Benjamin Franklin

lawbuff

Sep 9, 2009
He was one of my favorite Founding Father's and his birthday was today, Jan. 17, O.S.

Benjamin Franklin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He signed the Declaration of Independence, the Olive Branch Petition and the U.S. Constitution. Last time I was in Philly, the Constitution Center there had an exhibit about him with some of his papers.

His grave is in Christ Church burial ground in Philadelphia, about 3 blocks north of Independence Hall. There are also 4 other signers of the Declaration buried there. I have visited Philly a few times and have seen all thier gravesites.

Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790) - Find A Grave Memorial

A man of many talents and interests, most notable for inventing the lightning rod and discovering that lightning was actually electricity.

PBS had a special on him a few years ago, it was excellent.

Constitutional quiz! How does the Constitution itself mention a Deity in "any" way?

Franklin was a fascinating person and a man of many talents and interests. Don't forget his publishing legacy! I'm not sure he was my favorite Founder in terms of his political ideas, but he sure is one of the most interesting and perhaps influential in his attitude toward life. Happy Birthday, Ben! :clap2:

Franklin was a fascinating person and a man of many talents and interests. Don't forget his publishing legacy! I'm not sure he was my favorite Founder in terms of his political ideas, but he sure is one of the most interesting and perhaps influential in his attitude toward life. Happy Birthday, Ben! :clap2:

Excellent.

I love historic date posts.

From my list for this date:

1773 James Cook, on the Resolution, becomes the first to cross the Antarctic Circle (66 degees, 33’ S). …at about 14 past 11 o’clock we crossed the Antarctic Circle for at noon we were by observation four miles and a half south of it and are undoubtedly the first and only ship that ever crossed that line.( He had forgotten that the Adventure was with him.)
1917 Purchase of Virgin Islands, from Denmark, ratified (see 8/4) $25 million
1945 Raoul Wallenberg disappeared after the fall of Budapest to the Red Army, and has never been seen again. He was responsible for saving the lives of tens of thousands of Jews and other persecuted people in Hungary. See 7/17
1806 James Madison Randolph, the grandson of Thomas Jefferson, became the first child born in the White House.
1979 Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi flees Iran.
1961 U.S .President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers a televised farewell address to the nation three days before leaving office, in which he warns against the accumulation of power by the "military-industrial complex."
1929 Popeye in Thimble Theatre. Created by Elzie Crisler Segar, and first appeared in the daily King Features comic strip.

Hi GC. He and Thomas Jefferson are in my top 5 favorite FF's, Madison is there also. There were just so many brilliant minds back then.

On my last visit to DC I made it a point to drive down to Montpelier to tour his home. It was under renovation at that time to when Madison lived there, but you could still tour it. He and Dolly are buried on the grounds.

BF was a polymath for his time, just as Jefferson was. BF has no home standing in America, as I am sure you know as being familiar with the Philly area, a shame.

ben-franklin-loved-a-good-zombie.jpg

If not for his age, Franklin would have been our first president. He was an international superstar of his day

Hi GC. He and Thomas Jefferson are in my top 5 favorite FF's, Madison is there also. There were just so many brilliant minds back then.

On my last visit to DC I made it a point to drive down to Montpelier to tour his home. It was under renovation at that time to when Madison lived there, but you could still tour it. He and Dolly are buried on the grounds.

BF was a polymath for his time, just as Jefferson was. BF has no home standing in America, as I am sure you know as being familiar with the Philly area, a shame.

It is a shame. But he left a lasting legacy all the same. I wish there were people in positions of power today who, agree or disagree with their politics, were as hands-on and intellectually curious as BF.

Forum List

Back