Benghazi Panel Focuses On State Department Problems

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Benghazi Panel Focuses on State Department Problems Avoiding Partisanship

The hearing focused on to what extent the State Department implemented recommendations from its own Accountability Review Board and the Independent Panel on Best Practices to improve embassy security after Benghazi.

The State Department's assistant secretary for diplomatic security, Gregory Starr, reported that the department had fully implemented 22 of the ARB's 29 recommendations and was in the process of implementing the rest.

Of the 40 recommendations from the independent best practices panel, the State Department has implemented or is implementing 38 of them. But Starr did face criticism for the department's decision not to accept the independent panel's top suggestion: creating a higher-level under secretary to oversee diplomatic security.

Trey Gowdy engaged in some of the most aggressive questioning toward the end, hammering Starr on why the State Department had not implemented recommendations that were made in repeated reports by its review board. But his focus was as much on the department's bureaucracy over the last two decades as it was on the failures of the current administration.

Benghazi Panel Succeeds In Avoiding Partisan Spectacle So Far - Yahoo News

As I watched this hearing, I was pleased to see this was not a "gotcha" opportunity for either side. I did not hear "Obama" or "Clinton" in any questions or answers. Elijah Cummings and Trey Gowdy both appeared to be on the same page, that is, to find ways to ensure this kind of thing (Benghazi) would not happen again.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back