Benazir Bhutto Shot Dead!

akiboy

Mar 28, 2006
Mumbai
Former PM of Pakistan Mrs Benzair Bhutto was killed in a suicide attack on her rally in Rawalpindi today. Apparently she was shot on her head and neck. There was also an explosion which killed 20 people and injured many others. Reports are still coming in as to who the attackers were. She was confirmed dead in Rawalpindi general hospital

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/27/AR2007122700136.html?hpid=topnews

Pakistan is in a goddamn mess! The only decent ruler Pakistan ever had and the bastards had to kill her!

Is this really a surprise to anyone? Bhutto was marked for death the minute she stepped foot again on Pakistani soil. It was just a matter of time.

Pakistan is the most dangerous country on the planet. It is far more dangerous than Iraq, Afghanistan, or Iran because it combines political chaos, Islamic radicalism, and nuclear weapons.

Exactly O.D. And it won't be long when Musharraf is toppled in an Islamic coup. And then we have Mullahs with nukes running the damn country! Benazir wasen't pals with the Al Qaeda/Taliban either. They hated her guts and the fact that she was Western educated also made her a target. She encouraged Muslim women's development program in Pakistan. And this was enough for Taliba/Al Qaeda to mark her down. Personally , I feel this attack was carried out by certain elements within the Pakistani intelligence (ISI). Musharraf couldnt be behind this as he dsen;t have the balls to carry out an assassination. He "might" be in control of the army but the real players in Pakistan are the intelligence agency (ISI). Also , the Pakistani nuclear stockpile is under the Pakistani strategic command and fortunately for the U.S and India this group is loyal to the President. But , IF Musharraf is toppled in a coup we can only imagine in whose hands the nuclear stockpile will fall into!

It's almost enough to make a Ron Paul supporter out of me. Get the hell out of the middle east. The world will be a better place once they've all killed each other off.

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan — The Pakistani opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was assassinated near the capital, Islamabad, on Thursday. Witnesses said Ms. Bhutto, who was appearing at a political campaign rally, was fired upon at close range by a gunman, and then struck by shrapnel from a blast that the government said was caused by a suicide bomber.

Ms. Bhutto, 54, was shot in the neck or head, according to differing accounts, as she stood in the open sunroof of a car and waved to crowds. Seconds later a suicide attacker detonated his bomb, damaging one of the cars in her motorcade, killing more than 20 people and wounding 50, the Interior Ministry said.

News of her death sent angry protesters swarming the emergency ward of the nearby hospital, where doctors declared Ms. Bhutto dead at 6:16 p.m. Supporters later jostled to carry her bare wooden coffin as it began its journey to her hometown of Larkana, in southern Pakistan, for burial. In Karachi and other cities, frenzied crowds vented their rage, blocking the streets, burning tires, throwing stones.

The death of Ms. Bhutto, leader of Pakistan’slargest political party, throws Pakistan’s politics into disarray less than two weeks before parliamentary elections scheduled for Jan. 8 and just weeks after a state of emergency was lifted. There was immediate speculation that elections would be postponed and another state of emergency declared.

more ... http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/w...9ad915339681c9&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Nothing like stacking the odds in one's favor to win an election.

Nothing like stacking the odds in one's favor to win an election.

I agree...even though Bush and Musharref have both come out and claimed it was Islamic extremists, I think that Musharref and the military had just as big a reason for wanting her gone.

I know, I don't know why anyone's talking about Islamic terrorists on this one. Seems clear that even if it was, the "layers of police protection" that Musharraf was supposed to be making sure she had, had a real funny way of breaking down suddenly.

I think it's a huge loss.

I know, I don't know why anyone's talking about Islamic terrorists on this one. Seems clear that even if it was, the "layers of police protection" that Musharraf was supposed to be making sure she had, had a real funny way of breaking down suddenly.

I think it's a huge loss.

I'm probably in the minority here, I don't think Musharaff had zip to do with. The threat is within the government, but not Musharaf. Just my take.

I don't think Musharaff had anything to do with it, per se. But I also think he intentionally didn't get her the security she deserved.

I had huge respect for her. Her loss creates a really dangerous situation there.

I don't think Musharaff had anything to do with it, per se. But I also think he intentionally didn't get her the security she deserved.

I had huge respect for her. Her loss creates a really dangerous situation there.

did musharaff have an obligation to provide her security.....

My guess is that the same people who have tried to kill Musharaff in the past suceeded in killing Bhutto. Both Mushasaff and Bhutto were lined up against extremists. Further, Bhutto's run for election represented a return to democracy, something that Islamic extremists despise. As a woman, Bhutto was symbolic of those opposed to the Islamic fundamentalist culture of female subjugation.

Forum List

Back