Ben Stein: Charlie Rangel Still a Hero to Me

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Ben Stein: Charlie Rangel Still a Hero to Me

Says Korean War Exemplar Was Censured for Almost Nothing

By now everyone who follows politics knows that Charles Rangel, the 20-term representative to Congress from New York's Harlem district, has been found guilty of ethics violations by the House ethics panel.

He apparently failed to report rental income from a dwelling in the Caribbean, used his office stationery for fund raising for a school named after him, and used a rent stabilized apartment for a political office.

For this, the punishment is publicly shaming by being censured.

Now, just to me (whom you all know as a lifelong Republican), Rangel's misdeeds seem like extremely trivial matters. The IRS has not prosecuted him for tax evasion. When you are a busy man, small tax issues can get lost in the shuffle.

The other two matters just seem like total and utter nothings.

But what I really want to say about Charles Rangel is that this man is a genuine American hero.

More at the link

As long as a similar standard is applied for all future Senators and Congressmen regardless of political party...it is fair

As long as a similar standard is applied for all future Senators and Congressmen regardless of political party...it is fair

I would prefer they all faced the same standard as applied to the rest of the American people. You would be in prison. I would be in prison. Charlie should be in prison. Any other fucking dishonest bastard who doesn't pay their taxes should be in prison. Seems reasonable. No special treatment - there are no 'special' people.

I would prefer they all faced the same standard as applied to the rest of the American people. You would be in prison. I would be in prison. Charlie should be in prison. Any other fucking dishonest bastard who doesn't pay their taxes should be in prison. Seems reasonable. No special treatment - there are no 'special' people.

You really think that you'd "go to prison" for failing to disclose rental income? At most you'd be fined, or just owe the back taxes.

No one would "go to prison" for it.

You really think that you'd "go to prison" for failing to disclose rental income? At most you'd be fined, or just owe the back taxes.

OK. So, he should face the same. Yes?

OK. So, he should face the same. Yes?

Of course.

The difference is that if you had the same tax problems, they wouldn't be talked about on TV news, like Rangel's were. You'd pay your fine, and be done with it.

Rangel on the other hand, will have an albatross around his neck from this.

He'll still get re-elected though.

Stein's piece this morning was actually kind of moving.

I think Rangel was a cheat and a manipulator. But even so, it's difficult to deny the point Stein was making. Rangel did some impressive service for his country in Korea.

If that kind of thing doesn't make you stop and think for a while, then you need to stop and think for a while.

I think Rangel was a cheat and a manipulator. But even so, it's difficult to deny the point Stein was making. Rangel did some impressive service for his country in Korea.

If that kind of thing doesn't make you stop and think for a while, then you need to stop and think for a while.

Wow.

For the first time, since 2007 (when I joined the Hannity Boards) I think I agree with you.

Wow.

For the first time, since 2007 (when I joined the Hannity Boards) I think I agree with you.

It hurts, doesn't it?

:cool:

Forum List

Back