Ben Franklin

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
Ben Franklin was the 10th son out of 17 children, i just heard on the History channel!

Jimminee Christmas Almighty!!!!

Women are just NOT given enough credit for the founding of America, I say!!!!

CAN you ladies imagine being pregnant 17 times and going through 17 labor and deliveries and rearing all those kids, alone?

Man oh man, some kind of structure certainly had to be developed by the mom to have some means of sanity or control?

even my Italian grandmother was 1 of 12 children!!!

Is the birth control pill the sin that the Catholic church says it is, or immoral in any way in your opinion, or a blessing?

Would we be in a world where women were strapped at home, still not really a part of the workforce in this country of ours, if the BC pill and other bc forms had not been created?

Or, what?

Talk it up

Large numbers of children were common, most of them never made it out of childhood.

People in general only lived to their 40s in that period, Ben was an exception living into his 80s.

Ben Franklin was the 10th son out of 17 children, i just heard on the History channel!

CAN you ladies imagine being pregnant 17 times and going through 17 labor and deliveries and rearing all those kids, alone?

Man oh man, some kind of structure certainly had to be developed by the mom to have some means of sanity or control?

Is the birth control pill the sin that the Catholic church says it is, or immoral in any way in your opinion, or a blessing?

Would we be in a world where women were strapped at home, still not really a part of the workforce in this country of ours, if the BC pill and other bc forms had not been created?

Or, what?

Talk it up

Like the kids, there weren't diversions. If women didn't die, there was lots to do. ;)

I can't recall, at the moment, the religious affiliation of the family, but I do know one currently who has had 17 children -- all home births. Every 12 to 13 months like clockwork. They don't believe in medical intervention. Was a big deal to have the public health nurse certify the documentation for the birth certificates, but they did understand the necessity of that. Can't possibly apply for public assistance with a birth certificate ya know.

Oh, and the oldest daughter, who worked for us through the City's summer youth program for a couple of years, "helped" take care of the younger children. Wonder how they're managing now, since she died a couple of years ago from ovarian cancer.

Or, what?

Talk it up

Like the kids, there weren't diversions. If women didn't die, there was lots to do. ;)

i just can NOT imagine how organized one must have had to be to feed and clean a platoon or brigade!!!!

Yes, childbirth was the number one cause of death for women back then.... :(

Large numbers of children were common, most of them never made it out of childhood.

People in general only lived to their 40s in that period, Ben was an exception living into his 80s.
Well, this pretty much covered My answer. In an age where children rarely lived to puberty, it was not uncommon to have a lot of children.

What I find interesting is that these kids were raised without government welfare!

Ha!

Or, what?

Talk it up
My Uterus would have fallen out after the 7th one.

In stumbling through a bit of my family tree, it also became apparent that when a child died very early on, they would often rename the next child to be born(usually boys) the same name as the one who had died previously. Very interesting.

In stumbling through a bit of my family tree, it also became apparent that when a child died very early on, they would often rename the next child to be born(usually boys) the same name as the one who had died previously. Very interesting.

That's either "sick" or very unimaginative.

Would women be 50% of the workforce of the economy today if the BC pill had not been created and then legalized? You realize the bc pill was initially ILLEGAL in this great country of ours....

But what I am wondering is: Would American have grown as rich as it did, and as quickly as it did, if women had been left at home with 17 kids?

Are women in the workforce the real reason for our country's gains?

Are our children hurting any from this....?

I think it was just practical.

It seemed to be done with family names, ones they wanted to continue down the line, you kow?

But then again, if you were having kids and having to bury some of them, you might not be really imaginative either.

Would women be 50% of the workforce of the economy today if the BC pill had not been created and then legalized? You realize the bc pill was initially ILLEGAL in this great country of ours....

But what I am wondering is: Would American have grown as rich as it did, and as quickly as it did, if women had been left at home with 17 kids?

Look around and you can't help but see the answer.

Look around and you can't help but see the answer.

I suppose I have lived a charmed life, to a degree....

All of the children that have surrounded Matthew and I, of neighbors and friends and family have all been pretty good kids and other than reading in the newspapers or seeing on the boob tube:), the craziness of kids out "there", we have not been affected by it, in our own immediate circle...(Matt and I were never able to have any kids of our own..:(, so we really don't have all of the insight that others may have on this topic).

care

I suppose I have lived a charmed life, to a degree....

All of the children that have surrounded Matthew and I, of neighbors and friends and family have all been pretty good kids and other than reading in the newspapers or seeing on the boob tube:), the craziness of kids out "there", we have not been affected by it, in our own immediate circle...(Matt and I were never able to have any kids of our own..:(, so we really don't have all of the insight that others may have on this topic).

care

You see some of it in the news - examples of kids desperately searching for a sense of belonging/some sort of "family" structure. Many kids join gangs for that very reason.

I think it was just practical.

It seemed to be done with family names, ones they wanted to continue down the line, you kow?

But then again, if you were having kids and having to bury some of them, you might not be really imaginative either.

I see.... So William Jones II isn't really William Jones II if he's dead. William Jones III is the real William Jones II. Got it.

I see.... So William Jones II isn't really William Jones II if he's dead. William Jones III is the real William Jones II. Got it.

I think you're making it more complicated than it really is.

And as I recall, it wasn't necessarily names with a I, II, or III, etc. behind them. Just common names like "John", "Charles" and so on.

I think you're making it more complicated than it really is.

And as I recall, it wasn't necessarily names with a I, II, or III, etc. behind them. Just common names like "John", "Charles" and so on.

I enjoy making things complicated. It just wouldn't do for granddaddy not to have a namesake walkin' around.... even if graddaddy was dead.... :lol:

so, as women, do you think we are better off with Birth Control, with some sort of control over when our children are born or not born?

And isn't the same result from birth control pills, less children being BORN, the same end result as abortion...less children being born?

Is sex A-ok whenever one wants with whoever one wants, in a commitment or not in a commitment, as long as they do NOT get pregnant? If this is the case, did this attitude extend from having birth control pills and other methods of protection?

I don't know if any of you have watched those different shows on tv that take one thing, like a tire iron or something silly like that, and then traces backwards in time and history to where, if something had not been invented some 3000 years ago, the tire iron would never have been invented or created?

I suppose I am trying to look back, on the pill and wondering what it would have been like without it and whether we truly would have been better off or not?

so, as women, do you think we are better off with Birth Control, with some sort of control over when our children are born or not born?

And isn't the same result from birth control pills, less children being BORN, the same end result as abortion...less children being born?

Is sex A-ok whenever one wants with whoever one wants, in a commitment or not in a commitment, as long as they do NOT get pregnant? If this is the case, did this attitude extend from having birth control pills and other methods of protection?

I don't know if any of you have watched those different shows on tv that take one thing, like a tire iron or something silly like that, and then traces backwards in time and history to where, if something had not been invented some 3000 years ago, the tire iron would never have been invented or created?

I suppose I am trying to look back, on the pill and wondering what it would have been like without it and whether we truly would have been better off or not?

Google was invented just for situations such as this.....

Forum List

Back