Ben Carson

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
As a liberal, it scares me that I'm starting to agree with guys like Herman Cain and Ben Carson. Of course I know they have forgotten where they came from and how hard it was and how not everyone is as smart as they are, but they also make a great point when they tell black people it can be done in America, even if you are black. I'm sure Ben's message of personal responsibility doesn't take into account all the roadblocks black people face but maybe its time to stop making excuses and fix your own situation from within. Stop asking or waiting for whitey to do right. Assume they won't and you have to do it yourself.

Even as a liberal white, it is hard to feel sorry for a single black poor mother on welfare when it was her decision to get prego. When her kids turn out to be the future criminals in America, it isn't white people's fault she had those kids. Stop having those kids.

I notice black people who live in Metro Detroit do better than blacks in Detroit. Maybe blacks should move out of Detroit? I know half of them did during the Bush Great Recession so I guess that's a step in the right direction.

What about black attitudes? Angry about the past, pissed at cops, can't speak english, are ghetto, not generally polite or friendly. I'm not talking about all blacks but too many blacks have bad attitudes. Stop being angry. Get over it. If you don't like how life is in the black community, leave. But don't bring the ghetto out with you. Seems you can take the blacks out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of them. Ben Carson came from Detroit. That should be black people's role model.

I'm still not a conservative. I think we still need to help black society along, but I'm also starting to agree with cons that enough is enough. There is so much black society could do on their own that they aren't. How about telling the cops when a murderer murders someone in your neighborhood?

So much of black societies problem is poor black kids having kids. This has to stop. Can't end the poverty this way.

So how would YOU stop it?
A mad push to get every young girl who's single but sexually active implanted with iud's. Take them out when you are ready to start a family. This should be given to all young women free in obamacare regardless of color. The church doesn't want this because more bodies in the pews. The rich don't want this because this is their labor force.

Iud's are 90% effective over ten years, pills and rubbers are not.

Have you heard the oceans will be overfished by 2050? We need to stop breeding so much. Humans are a parasite on this planet.

PS. Why can I never get a black person to discuss this? Or agree. Any blacks agree with Ben carson? I'm not saying vote GOP but the GOP isn't 100% wrong here. Why the crickets? Anyone?

A mad push to get every young girl who's single but sexually active implanted with iud's. Take them out when you are ready to start a family. This should be given to all young women free in obamacare regardless of color. The church doesn't want this because more bodies in the pews. The rich don't want this because this is their labor force.

Iud's are 90% effective over ten years, pills and rubbers are not.

Would you be willing to enforce this by law?

You forget that, beginning in 1965, the federal government started rewarding pregnant girls with their own apartments and spending money. The only requirement was that they were not living with the fathers. After 50 years, are you do-gooders having second thoughts? Sorry, it's too late.

You forget that, beginning in 1965, the federal government started rewarding pregnant girls with their own apartments and spending money. The only requirement was that they were not living with the fathers. After 50 years, are you do-gooders having second thoughts? Sorry, it's too late.

True.

Ben Carson made his debut as secretary of Housing and Urban Development Monday by telling agency employees about the virtues of the “can-do” American society. Carson said this value system was best exemplified by slaves, whom he characterized as immigrants who came to the United States with very little and worked very hard.

“That’s what America is about,” Carson said. “A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less. But they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.”

Have you heard the oceans will be overfished by 2050? We need to stop breeding so much. Humans are a parasite on this planet.

PS. Why can I never get a black person to discuss this? Or agree. Any blacks agree with Ben carson? I'm not saying vote GOP but the GOP isn't 100% wrong here. Why the crickets? Anyone?

There will still be lots of fish in the sea in 2050. There is no such thing as overpopulation. As to why no person black or white wants to talk to you, that should be obvious.

Hey black people. I have a question for you. Is it ok Ben Carson said this?

Carson: 'There were other immigrants who came in the bottom of slave ships, who worked even longer, even harder, for less'

So what he is saying is that some white immigrants came to this country and worked harder longer and for less than slaves did. Does anyone agree?

And does Ben get away with such stupidity because he's black? Conservatives will say we are attacking Ben Carson but don't comments like this deserve ridicule?

Stop giving more handouts for the more kids you have.
If you can't support yourself and one child then don't have anymore, that seems simple to this old white privileged man that never had kids cause I couldn't support them properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carson: 'There were other immigrants who came in the bottom of slave ships, who worked even longer, even harder, for less'

So what he is saying is that some white immigrants came to this country and worked harder longer and for less than slaves did. Does anyone agree?

And does Ben get away with such stupidity because he's black? Conservatives will say we are attacking Ben Carson but don't comments like this deserve ridicule?

His statement says the opposite of what you say it says.

He is stating that the BLACKS who came as slaves, worked longer, harder and for less.

In Africa, Black Lives Have Never Mattered

Slavery saved them from savagery.

How does being an immigrant who comes to America because he or she WANTS TO, goes through the LEGAL immigration process, becomes a citizen, and with that citizenship, acquires the right to vote, and not be restricted by laws limiting where he or she can go, is paid, even though he or she may earn minimum wage, and is free to go home at the end of a days work, and if he doesn't like it here can go back where he came from, compare to a slave who arrives in America in captivity, is considered "property", much like a chicken or a mule, is sold to the highest bidder, is put to work and owns nothing, and cannot just leave and go back home?

I don't think anyone believes that Carson is dumb enough to really mean that the two are even remotely similar......but, that's what he said, so perception is reality, and in politics the public generally takes what you say literally. Carson is not an experienced politician, so he is bound to learn some things the hard way.

Last edited:

How does being an immigrant who comes to America because he or she WANTS TO, goes through the LEGAL immigration process, becomes a citizen, and with that citizenship, acquires the right to vote, and not be restricted by laws limiting where he or she can go, is paid, even though he or she may earn minimum wage, and is free to go home at the end of a days work, and if he doesn't like it here can go back where he came from, compare to a slave who arrives in America in captivity, is considered "property", much like a chicken or a mule, is sold to the highest bidder, is put to work and owns nothing, and cannot just leave and go back home?

It compares as one of the best examples of being an immigrant to one of the worst examples of being an immigrant.

This might be of interest to anyone not a brain dead partisan. From that right wing rag, the Washington Post.

Analysis | Slaves as immigrants, from Ben Carson and the academy

"It turns out, though, that slavery as immigration is a not uncommon characterization in academic discussions. To be sure, usually “immigrant” has the connotation of voluntary immigration; but there are also similarities between slaves and immigrants that scholars point out, often by using the term “immigrant” to refer to those who have come here from foreign countries, freely or not. Just a few examples:

[Lolita K. Buckner Inniss, “Tricky Magic: Blacks as Immigrants and the Paradox of Foreignness," 49 Depaul L. Rev. 85 (1999):]

A. Slavery as Immigration

Immigration has been defined as the moving across national frontiers, as opposed to moving within borders. Immigration has also been defined as a history of alienation and its consequences — “broken homes, interruptions of a familiar life, separation from known surroundings, the becoming a foreigner and ceasing to belong.” These definitions have traditionally been applied to entrants from Europe and later, Asia. Blacks were often either explicitly or implicitly excluded from definitions of immigration, dismissed as being merely “imported slaves” whose movement lacked the complexity of later immigration to the Americas, or deemed unwilling victims of conquerors. Notwithstanding these pronouncements, black arrivals to the Americas had all the attributes of immigrants. In fact, they created the immigrant paradigm: arrivals with alien languages, cultures and customs, who enter at the bottom-most social and economic levels and labor tirelessly.

[Rhonda V. Magee, “Slavery as Immigration?," 44 U.S.F. L. Rev. 273 (2009):]

I have wondered whether a first generation “chattel slave” was also, in some sense, an immigrant? That is, might the involuntarily enslaved African, forcibly brought to the United States for condemnation to a life in chattel slavery, be more accurately considered a certain type of immigrant? And, if so, what are the implications of those revelations for understanding the origins and operations of U.S. immigration law? If transatlantic slavery was, in part, the earliest system for immigration in the United States, what legacies of that system should scholars of immigration law recognize, and what are the implications of that history for immigration law and policy today? That is to say, from the standpoint of immigration law, might the chattel slavery system be more accurately considered a compound institution system comprised of not only labor and sociocultural structures, but also a state-sponsored, pernicious system of immigration?

[Geoffrey Heeren, “Illegal Aid: Legal Assistance to Immigrants in the United States," 33 Cardozo L. Rev. 619 (2011):]

Slavery grew in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries as a more economical alternative to an earlier class of immigrant labor: white indentured servants imported from Britain. Arguably, slavery presents the best example of a hierarchical framework for immigrant rights: slaves were (involuntary) immigrants whose movement was strictly regulated according to their origin (African or domestic), legal status (slave, freedman, free born black), and each state’s laws on the subject.

[Martin W. Burke, “Reexamining Immigration: Is It a Local or National Issue?," 84 Denv. U. L. Rev. 1075:]

Black Americans are not usually mentioned in a discussion about immigrants. However, it must be remembered that African slaves were an immigrant population that was forcefully brought to our shores and not allowed to assimilate into mainstream society.

It’s pretty likely that these authors would disagree with Carson on much, and might well use their slaves-as-immigrants arguments for reasons very different from Carson’s. But they share the basic point that those who arrived in slave ships had something (though of course not everything) in common with other new arrivals. Carson’s point is that one of the things they shared in common was a need and a desire to build a better life for their children and grandchildren (a desire that might have been more acute than it was for non-immigrants). It’s hardly a deep point, I think, but not one that seems to me to merit condemnation, especially as part of off-the-cuff remarks that weren’t intended to constitute deep analysis. (Indeed, as the article I quoted notes, many in the audience seemed to take the remarks as unobjectionable.)"

It compares as one of the best examples of being an immigrant to one of the worst examples of being an immigrant.

This might be of interest to anyone not a brain dead partisan. From that right wing rag, the Washington Post.

"It turns out, though, that slavery as immigration is a not uncommon characterization in academic discussions. To be sure, usually “immigrant” has the connotation of voluntary immigration; but there are also similarities between slaves and immigrants that scholars point out, often by using the term “immigrant” to refer to those who have come here from foreign countries, freely or not. Just a few examples:

[Lolita K. Buckner Inniss, “Tricky Magic: Blacks as Immigrants and the Paradox of Foreignness," 49 Depaul L. Rev. 85 (1999):]

Immigration has been defined as the moving across national frontiers, as opposed to moving within borders. Immigration has also been defined as a history of alienation and its consequences — “broken homes, interruptions of a familiar life, separation from known surroundings, the becoming a foreigner and ceasing to belong.” These definitions have traditionally been applied to entrants from Europe and later, Asia. Blacks were often either explicitly or implicitly excluded from definitions of immigration, dismissed as being merely “imported slaves” whose movement lacked the complexity of later immigration to the Americas, or deemed unwilling victims of conquerors. Notwithstanding these pronouncements, black arrivals to the Americas had all the attributes of immigrants. In fact, they created the immigrant paradigm: arrivals with alien languages, cultures and customs, who enter at the bottom-most social and economic levels and labor tirelessly.

I have wondered whether a first generation “chattel slave” was also, in some sense, an immigrant? That is, might the involuntarily enslaved African, forcibly brought to the United States for condemnation to a life in chattel slavery, be more accurately considered a certain type of immigrant? And, if so, what are the implications of those revelations for understanding the origins and operations of U.S. immigration law? If transatlantic slavery was, in part, the earliest system for immigration in the United States, what legacies of that system should scholars of immigration law recognize, and what are the implications of that history for immigration law and policy today? That is to say, from the standpoint of immigration law, might the chattel slavery system be more accurately considered a compound institution system comprised of not only labor and sociocultural structures, but also a state-sponsored, pernicious system of immigration?

[Geoffrey Heeren, “Illegal Aid: Legal Assistance to Immigrants in the United States," 33 Cardozo L. Rev. 619 (2011):]

Slavery grew in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries as a more economical alternative to an earlier class of immigrant labor: white indentured servants imported from Britain. Arguably, slavery presents the best example of a hierarchical framework for immigrant rights: slaves were (involuntary) immigrants whose movement was strictly regulated according to their origin (African or domestic), legal status (slave, freedman, free born black), and each state’s laws on the subject.

[Martin W. Burke, “Reexamining Immigration: Is It a Local or National Issue?," 84 Denv. U. L. Rev. 1075:]

Black Americans are not usually mentioned in a discussion about immigrants. However, it must be remembered that African slaves were an immigrant population that was forcefully brought to our shores and not allowed to assimilate into mainstream society.

It’s pretty likely that these authors would disagree with Carson on much, and might well use their slaves-as-immigrants arguments for reasons very different from Carson’s. But they share the basic point that those who arrived in slave ships had something (though of course not everything) in common with other new arrivals. Carson’s point is that one of the things they shared in common was a need and a desire to build a better life for their children and grandchildren (a desire that might have been more acute than it was for non-immigrants). It’s hardly a deep point, I think, but not one that seems to me to merit condemnation, especially as part of off-the-cuff remarks that weren’t intended to constitute deep analysis. (Indeed, as the article I quoted notes, many in the audience seemed to take the remarks as unobjectionable.)"
My ancestors were enslaved by the Turks. Whatever atrocities occured im sort of glad it all played out the way it did because it led to me being here and now

My grandfather came to America a free white man but his great great grandfather may have had a shitty life. How does that affect me here and now.

Ben carson came from nothing and my brother is a VP and his father came from nothing.

Ultimately this isn't a big deal but Carson is a useful idiot

My ancestors were enslaved by the Turks. Whatever atrocities occured im sort of glad it all played out the way it did because it led to me being here and now

My grandfather came to America a free white man but his great great grandfather may have had a shitty life. How does that affect me here and now.

Ben carson came from nothing and my brother is a VP and his father came from nothing.

Ultimately this isn't a big deal but Carson is a useful idiot

Carson was a real player in the GOP primaries and has went from that to a position of real influence in Trump's administration. As is common in politics. (see sec of state hillary)

That you feel a need to dismiss him, reflects strangely and poorly on YOU, not him, and certainly not Trump.

Samuel L, Jackson considers Carson to be a TOM

all criticism of Carson stops there

carson = tom

always has been for racist *******

Forum List

Back