Below the Beltway

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Looks like it worked.

Vice President Huckabee

Former Gov. Mike Huckabee is doing his best to make sure that Sen. John McCain will win the Republican nomination with about a third of the vote in the South.

Former Gov. Mitt Romney's campaign, which looks like it could achieve the unthinkable -- winning California -- is apoplectic about Huckabee's election-day machinations in West Virginia. Romney campaign chief Beth Myers accused McCain of "cutting a backroom deal" in the West Virginia caucus, conspiring to swing his delegates to Huckabee to ensure that Romney lost the state.

The GOP race is looking more and more like an open wound. Bob Dole can write to Rush Limbaugh all he wants, but that is not about to put the Humpty Dumpty of the Reagan coalition back together again. Neither is a McCain/Huckabee ticket.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=14&entry_id=24008

I really don't think McCain will select Huckabee to be his running mate. He's a Washington politician who is using Huckabee for his own political gain. If Huckabee thinks he can call in his marker for the V.P. spot after McCain's nomination is sewed up, he's going to be one disappointed fellow. I would certainly delight in that. :razz:

I think Joe Lieberman or Lindsay Graham will more likely be the people McCain turns to. Both would appeal to specific groups of voters, and Graham would certainly appeal to conservatives.

I really don't think McCain will select Huckabee to be his running mate. He's a Washington politician who is using Huckabee for his own political gain. If Huckabee thinks he can call in his marker for the V.P. spot after McCain's nomination is sewed up, he's going to be one disappointed fellow. I would certainly delight in that. :razz:

I think Joe Lieberman or Lindsay Graham will more likely be the people McCain turns to. Both would appeal to specific groups of voters, and Graham would certainly appeal to conservatives.

McCain has no need for Huckabee anymore since Romney bowed out today.

Lieberman as our vice prez? Nice guy, but we've come to this? :sad:

Maybe Lieberman will switch his political affiliation to Republican if selected by McCain. He went from loyal and faithful Democrat to Independent, so it would just be another step in the process. I myself would prefer someone else (although I like Lieberman), but politics makes strange bedfellows, as the saying goes. Abe Lincoln chose Andrew Johnson, a Democrat, to be on his ticket, so I guess it would not be a history-setting event if McCain choose Lieberman to run with him.

Maybe Lieberman will switch his political affiliation to Republican if selected by McCain. He went from loyal and faithful Democrat to Independent, so it would just be another step in the process. I myself would prefer someone else (although I like Lieberman), but politics makes strange bedfellows, as the saying goes. Abe Lincoln chose Andrew Johnson, a Democrat, to be on his ticket, so I guess it would not be a history-setting event if McCain choose Lieberman to run with him.
Governor Charlie Crist is a likely choice for his veep. After all, Charlie practically handed him Florida on a silver platter...which propelled him to the nomination.

Agree. If it turns out that McCain picks someone for VP who helped him win the nomination, then Crist would be a more appealing candidate than Huckabee. I just don't see McCain selecting Huckabee, although there's little doubt that Huckabee is publicly campaigning for the job.

Agree. If it turns out that McCain picks someone for VP who helped him win the nomination, then Crist would be a more appealing candidate than Huckabee. I just don't see McCain selecting Huckabee, although there's little doubt that Huckabee is publicly campaigning for the job.

I don't see it either. Huckabee is not worth the moderate and independent votes McCain would lose choosing an evangelical that can't keep his politics separate from his personal beliefs.

I was glad to see McCain was pretty straightforward at the Right Wingnut celebration, Romney concession speech was enough to make you throw up.

I was glad to see McCain was pretty straightforward at the Right Wingnut celebration, Romney concession speech was enough to make you throw up.

Well, not really. But leave it to you left wingnuts to put a negative spin on his doing something for the good of the whole rather than serving only his own ego.

It ought to frighten the Hell out of you. If McCain conslidates the conservative and moderate bases, you lose. Period. Six of the last seven presidential elections bears that out.

Well, not really. But leave it to you left wingnuts to put a negative spin on his doing something for the good of the whole rather than serving only his own ego.

It ought to frighten the Hell out of you. If McCain conslidates the conservative and moderate bases, you lose. Period. Six of the last seven presidential elections bears that out.

The only problem though, is that McCain doesn't represent conservatives. Many will sit the election out, write-in someone else like RP, or just go 3rd party.

Would YOU compromise your beliefs to vote for a liberal masquerading as a conservative? Look at what McCain has done over the years.

I'm personally going to be involved in doing everything I can to make sure conservatives wake up to him. You want to see the GOP destroy itself? McCain's the man for the job.

Forum List

Back