Bells Palsy!

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Anybody ever hear of it? or have it? Woke up the other morning with the whole left side of my face paralaysed.. Look like botox gone wrong. or a stroke patient.. can't close my eye it's dry and miserable. It's caused from an inflammation of the 7th cranial nerve and should clear up overtime. Meanwhile I need a lopsided smilie! :eusa_angel:

Anybody ever hear of it? or have it? Woke up the other morning with the whole left side of my face paralaysed.. Look like botox gone wrong. or a stroke patient.. can't close my eye it's dry and miserable. It's caused from an inflammation of the 7th cranial nerve and should clear up overtime. Meanwhile I need a lopsided smilie! :eusa_angel:

Thank God that's all it is. A lot of people panic when they wake up with it. It usually doesn't last too long.

You might have Lyme disease. You should go see a doctor.

http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/lyme-disease-topic-overview

If Lyme disease goes untreated, you can have more serious symptoms over time. These include:

* Swelling and joint pain (like arthritis).
* Tingling and numbness in your hands, feet, and back.
* A lack of energy that does not get better.
* Trouble focusing your thoughts.
* Poor memory.
* Weakness or paralysis in your face muscles.

http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/paralysis

Last edited:

Yes, two teachers I work with have had it. It DOES go away, but yes, you will look like a stroke victim for a few weeks.

Hope you feel better!

This girl I went to high school with had that happened, it slowly went away but she looked like she had just gone to the dentist for most of our sophomore year.
Man I hate that feeling when they only numb half your face. Hope it comes back fast Willow!

Yes, a guy I used to work with had it and it was the strangest thing. When he smiled, it looked like a sneer. It did go away after awhile.

I'll bet that was scarey for you. Thank goodness it wasn't a stroke though, huh?

Yes! Thank God it wasn't a stroke, and ya know what??? it taught me to have empathy with stroke patients..

Thanks!

You might have Lyme disease. You should go see a doctor.

Lyme Disease Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment on WebMD.com

If Lyme disease goes untreated, you can have more serious symptoms over time. These include:

* Swelling and joint pain (like arthritis).
* Tingling and numbness in your hands, feet, and back.
* A lack of energy that does not get better.
* Trouble focusing your thoughts.
* Poor memory.
* Weakness or paralysis in your face muscles.

Paralysis

How Is Bell's Palsy Diagnosed?

There is no test that can absolutely show that you have Bell's palsy. Doctors refer to the diagnosis of Bell's palsy as a "diagnosis of exclusion," meaning that Bell's palsy is usually diagnosed after other conditions have been ruled out. Your doctor will do a complete and careful physical examination.
Diagnosis & Treatment of Bell's Palsy

It could be from a herpes virus, but you should get a blood test to rule out Lyme, because if it IS caused by Lyme disease and you do not get treated with antibiotics, your symptoms could progress.

Early localized Lyme disease usually occurs 3 days to about a month after being bitten. If Lyme disease is not detected and treated properly during the early localized stage, the infection may progress to the second or third stages of Lyme disease and involve the skin, joints, nervous system, and heart.

but did you ask the doctor why it happens at night? i dont know anyone who has not "woke up with it"

come on post a pic...we can do an album....as your face gets better....

i wont even comment on that fact that it was the "left" side of your face...lol...

Yes! Thank God it wasn't a stroke, and ya know what??? it taught me to have empathy with stroke patients..

Thanks!

now there is a fine damned example of conservative compassion ...it took bells to teach you to have empathy with stroke patients......do i even have to point out how stupid that comment sounds....do you have empathy others that dont share your numberous mental conditions?

val stop scaring her...its friggin bells....she has the same symptom they all do...

*wiping a bit of drool from her left side*

:lol: Scared of taking a blood test? Scared of an antibiotic?

It's a well known fact that Bells Palsy can occur because of untreated Lyme disease. Why not get a test to rule it out and save yourself from progressive joint disease or heart disease? Now THAT is something to be afraid of!

Why would Willow ask if he didn't want an answer? You just wanna see Willow progressively looking more like BatBoy, dontcha? :razz: :eusa_drool:

Last edited:

Thanks!

Whoa, you needed to experience Bells Palsy before you could empathize with stroke victims? I hope you are better able to empathize with people in the future. You never know, you might end up being a liberal!:eek:

but did you ask the doctor why it happens at night? i dont know anyone who has not "woke up with it"

come on post a pic...we can do an album....as your face gets better....

i wont even comment on that fact that it was the "left" side of your face...lol...

agree--post a pic --I think you're faking it. :lol:

Thanks!

now there is a fine damned example of conservative compassion ...it took bells to teach you to have empathy with stroke patients......do i even have to point out how stupid that comment sounds....do you have empathy others that dont share your numberous mental conditions?

well, I didn't mean it to sound that bad,, I mean it's just clearer to see that now,, you never know til you walk in the other guys shoes..don't hurt me,, I'm sick.:lol::lol:

Thanks!

well, I didn't mean it to sound that bad,, I mean it's just clearer to see that now,, you never know til you walk in the other guys shoes..don't hurt me,, I'm sick.:lol::lol:

SEEE ?? both sides of you face are laughing !!

I can empathize with people, not because I've walked in their shoes, but because they're human beings and they're suffering. That's all it takes for me. But, then again, I'm a bleeding heart liberal. How weak...

I can empathize with people, not because I've walked in their shoes, but because they're human beings and they're suffering. That's all it takes for me. But, then again, I'm a bleeding heart liberal. How weak...

oh I know,, you liberals are all just so much closer to heaven than we Republicans.. all sanctimonious and pure as the driven snow..

Thanks!

I can empathize with ya Willow. I had surgery that left one side of my face with nerve damage. For about a year it looked like I was winking at someone most of the time. One eyelid closed half as fast as the other one if at all.

oh I know,, you liberals are all just so much closer to heaven than we Republicans.. all sanctimonious and pure as the driven snow..

Maybe not closer to heaven, just closer to the human heart.

I've known several people who have had Bells Palsy. One of them was in high school. She was teased and ostracized by her fellow Christian classmates. She ended up quiting church and hanging out with the hippy kids who didn't judge her based on her looks. A few months later her face was back to normal, but she no longer cared about the popular kids. She remained with us hippy kids the until she graduatred and became life long friends with us. She's now a political activist film maker who documents the unethical practices of international corporations in developing countries.

Forum List

Back