belief

Ummm... what? So let me get this straight.

I die. Unsaved. I THEN have the opportunity to accept or reject Christ. AFTER I'm dead?

How exactly does that work? And where are you getting that from?

Exactly. There are several references to this, but 1 Peter 3:18-22 and 1 Peter 4:6 are two of my favorites.

this scripture refers to the time christ died he went to the believers who died before his coming with the announcement of thier salvation. it doesn't mean a second chance for the ones who rejected him while living.

That is your interpretation-- that is certainly not what it says. The first reference speaks of the unjust and disobedient ("unsaved"). The second makes no reference to the status of those dead to whom the gospel is preached-- though a person could reasonably believe that, if these dead need the gospel preached to them, these could include those who were not faithful in life or had no opportunity to accept Christ for whatever reason here.

Exactly. There are several references to this, but 1 Peter 3:18-22 and 1 Peter 4:6 are two of my favorites.

this scripture refers to the time christ died he went to the believers who died before his coming with the announcement of thier salvation. it doesn't mean a second chance for the ones who rejected him while living.

That is your interpretation-- that is certainly not what it says. The first reference speaks of the unjust and disobedient ("unsaved"). The second makes no reference to the status of those dead to whom the gospel is preached-- though a person could reasonably believe that, if these dead need the gospel preached to them, these could include those who were not faithful in life or had no opportunity to accept Christ for whatever reason here.

look at matthew 27:52,53

look at matthew 27:52,53

And?

you're tryin' too hard, tb

Perhaps I am. :) I'm just not content with the filtered crap most pastors throw out-- I like to think about what the words say, not what the church says the words should say or how the words fit what I already believe.

And the words seem to say that God is consistently a good guy and that death isn't necessarily the end.

That's all.

1 peter 3:18 speaks of jesus suffering for the sins of the unjust, that what he died on the cross for it doesn't say anything about him suffering for the dead to be saved after their dead. 4:6 speaks of the faithful who died before christ camew and suffered our sin on the cross.

Forum List

Back