Belief Systems Left and Right . . .

Why do so many Right Wingers actively seek to conflate faith and politics, two subjects along with money ought to be avoided in polite conversation. Why do Right Wingers want to wrap themselves in the two most potent symbols in our culture; the flag and the Bible?

Surely it makes their political/Ecclesiastal world more comfortable, but not unassailable. Faith is not a matter for compromise. No one of faith would broach compromising their belief in God. Similarly, they feel that their political ideology is inviolate, pure, absolutely correct and anyone opposing it is a heretic.

I am a man of faith. I have been a Christian all 61 years of my life. When I became politically aware back in the late 1960s, I took a Lineral stance and I have not backed away from it. But I do not for one second want my fath to inform my politics. I do not, for one second, think that it is right, appropriate or American to call my politics my faith or my faith politics.

I think the reason so many on my side of the aisle look askance at 'Chritianity' is due to the dogmatic and twisted interpretations so many 'Christians' use when defending indefensible political positions. Creation vs. evolution, marriage equality, racial relations and, the big one, reproductive freedom. These issues, these wedge issues, these cultural issues are, in the absence of a polarizing president, what divide this culture the most.

When a baker discriminates against a customer not because the customer is completing himself in an unseemly manner, but because the baker thinks the customer's lifestyle is icky, 'Christians' twist a beautiful, loving faith based on forgiveness and empathy ito something unrecognizable as Christianity.

When 'Christians' take it upon themselves to harass a frightened young woman who has made the most emotionally excruciating decision of her young life, one must ask what ever happened to the Golden Rule?

So the righteousness of a narrow interpretation of faith collides with the righteousness of those who harbor political paranoia, we get to the point of why and how the Left feels justified in dismissing 'Christianity'. By the way, if you want a paradigm for what happens when faith meets politics, look no further than the Taliban. Fundamentalism attracts strange bedfellows.

I read you as a double line, middle of the road fence walker. Either one stands in solidarity against ideological evil, or one is complicit with said evil, regardless of self-moderation or faith. One cannot claim to have faith and respect for the ancient foundations of moral fact, while still claiming to be possessed of a mind open to and embracing contemporary cultural darkness. Doesn't work that way. You wish to have the best of both worlds. Trust me, that desire is a sinking ship.
What is "ideological evil"? What are the aspects of "contemporary cultural darkness"?

Is it tolerance? Is it equality? Is it reproductive freedom?

You use those hyperbolic terms as a saber to hack at those who hold different opinions than yours. Please specify. Otherwise we cannot truly dialogue.

You conflate the fundamental differences between right and wrong as hyperbolic, and fall back to a commonly held position, contemporarily, of moral relativism and an obdurate insistence on recursively debating what is always right, always wrong, which if engaged and practiced as a life philosophy, procrastinates endlessly the moral responsibility of having to make and live by a final distinction between the two.

Tolerance of what? Wrong is always wrong. Belief that a mind open to accepting moral darkness in the forms of debauchery and sadism is somehow evolved or intellectually expanded, confers guilt by the association of acceptance. Imagine you come upon a man who is sexually assaulting a woman. Would your personal moral code of open mindedness allow you to forgive yourself for siding with the rapist after ignoring his crime? What about a young child whose parents decide he should be a she, to the tune of hormone therapy and surgery? Say you are a school guidance counselor or some kind of health professional—perhaps a psychologist—who knows both professionally and in your heart of hearts that in this particular child's case the process could kill him. Would your open mindedness prevent you from interfering with the process before it is carried out on the child, or would you use it as a moral anesthetic—an excuse to do nothing?

Equality with whom? Do you associate equality first with indelible physical traits such as race or skin tone or hair color? Or with personal merit? Do you believe a man or woman who has through military service and higher education and long years of hard work deserve to have more—by the personal merit of hard work—than the fast food worker who works just as hard but without the aforementioned hard earned boons? Or should the government take from the first American worker and give to the second in order to balance things out, economically, for everyone?

Reproductive freedom is a fundamentally amoral myth. It began with ideas in the heads of philosophers who thought that abortion could maybe make a great population control tool. Along the way, some malevolent fellows welded their population control idea to the ideology of radical feminism and antipositivist sociology, et voilà, the crusade for cultural and sexual revolution was born. There's nothing moral about it. But once again, the open minded philosophy you stand upon insists or triggers within you the need stand there and think endlessly about the fundamental right or wrong of abortion, rather than taking a real stance or having to bear the moral burden of facing and living with the decision whether or not it is one or the other.

Fence sitting, or walking down the moral center of the road might seem like a smart way to avoid having to embrace the grinding reality and difference between the moral facts of right and wrong, but it is a trap. No amount of open mindedness can change the eternal definitions and differences between ancient right and wrong, they're the only unchanging constants we human mortals have.
Onward, 'Christian' soldier!

Holding one's moral code is admirable. Imposing one's moral code is despicable..

Your moral code seems to hold homosexuality as debauchery. People who are homosexuals are no less depraved than heterosexuals. There are those, both homosexual and heterosexual, who are promiscuous, predatory and dangerous in their sexual behavior. But many more have committed relationships and healthy sex lives within those relationships. Isn't it only fair to regard those with those committed relationships as acceptable and those who are predatory as dangerous? What possible harm has every befallen society by those who are not dangerous predators? What harm does a sane homosexual pose to you personally?
What is "healthy" never involves the abuse of body parts that were designed for other functions. I would be the first to agree that fornication, adultery, incest, rape, child abuse and sexual debauchery is not limited to sodomites. The question becomes, who openly supports such things among heterosexuals as wholesome, healthy, and godly entertainment, for governmental protection?

However, the "gay" agenda is to normalize exactly what they do by suggesting that heterosexuals are no different. HOWEVER, it is possible to be a man married to a woman never to engage in any of the above activities --- not so much with the actively homosexual couple... In fact, they become the byproduct of such a "lifestyle".

We're seeing the beginnings of pedophilia being normalized and made socially acceptable. The LGBpbiWTF agenda is already being pushed in public schools, at young children, for no other purpose than to groom them to accept all manner of sexual abuse, exploitation, and perversion. As much as those responsible deny it, I think it is quite obvious that this is being done by, for and on behalf of pedophiles.
:th_believecrap:
nothing new there, they've been persecuting and victimizing the innocent since their 4th century self entitlement was granted to them by their made up political document disguised as a religion, christian bible.
Ah yes, Caligula's generation should be venerated as pro gay and worthy of applause...

We're seeing the beginnings of pedophilia being normalized and made socially acceptable. The LGBpbiWTF agenda is already being pushed in public schools, at young children, for no other purpose than to groom them to accept all manner of sexual abuse, exploitation, and perversion. As much as those responsible deny it, I think it is quite obvious that this is being done by, for and on behalf of pedophiles.
nothing new there, they've been persecuting and victimizing the innocent since their 4th century self entitlement was granted to them by their made up political document disguised as a religion, christian bible.
Ah yes, Caligula's generation should be venerated as pro gay and worthy of applause...

Caligula was Roman emperor from AD 37 to AD 41.

those who were persecuted during that time if that is what you are implying were living in the spirit of the early 1st century events of the religion of Antiquity they were willing to die for and had no knowledge of your 4th century christian bible -

whoever they were collectively that spent an entire 4th century collating the 4th century christian bible is who you are referring to and in the end produced what was described by them as - the State Church of the Roman Empire. so nipper it is you who is venerating those that have distorted the 1st for their and your political self interest and not ... the True Religion of Antiquity.

In the early 1960s the birth control pill was introduced. That ignited a backlash against the sexual repression of the day. Holding a steadfast, ridged and repressive moral code over a society in a constant state of flux serves only to harm individuals, oppress the innocent and irritate society.
Sexual repression? Or was the respect and dignity given to the power of sex stripped away, in favor of fun and recreation? You make my point. If we are not going to respect sex as a power of creation of new life, but reduce it to just another thing that makes us "feel good" then why not allow everyone to do whatever makes them feel good? I mean, that is the main purpose of sex, correct? To feel good! In other words, when feeling good is the main purpose of sex, that opens the door to everyone (not just heterosexuals) and everything.

I am saying society had a choice: To view sex with respect for its power of creating new life (and new life thrives best with a mother and father in a committed relationship); or, to say, "Sex is best viewed as a free-for-all" and everything from masturbation to bestiality is fair game because it hurts no one. (Let's stipulate that we all still view pedophilia as off limits.) Society chose free for all. And, having chosen, cannot limit it to an "elite" (heterosexual) set of people.

Individually, people can choose how they will view sex.
Your argument is sex is supposed to be for procreation,and recreational sex is bad?

Good luck with that!

In the early 1960s the birth control pill was introduced. That ignited a backlash against the sexual repression of the day. Holding a steadfast, ridged and repressive moral code over a society in a constant state of flux serves only to harm individuals, oppress the innocent and irritate society.
Sexual repression? Or was the respect and dignity given to the power of sex stripped away, in favor of fun and recreation? You make my point. If we are not going to respect sex as a power of creation of new life, but reduce it to just another thing that makes us "feel good" then why not allow everyone to do whatever makes them feel good? I mean, that is the main purpose of sex, correct? To feel good! In other words, when feeling good is the main purpose of sex, that opens the door to everyone (not just heterosexuals) and everything.

I am saying society had a choice: To view sex with respect for its power of creating new life (and new life thrives best with a mother and father in a committed relationship); or, to say, "Sex is best viewed as a free-for-all" and everything from masturbation to bestiality is fair game because it hurts no one. (Let's stipulate that we all still view pedophilia as off limits.) Society chose free for all. And, having chosen, cannot limit it to an "elite" (heterosexual) set of people.

Individually, people can choose how they will view sex.
Your argument is sex is supposed to be for procreation,and recreational sex is bad?

Good luck with that!
Clearly the reason intercourse exists is for procreation, right?

You aren’t disputing that, right?

You misunderstand. Re-read my posts. I said if society is going to treat sex as recreational, then society cannot say "But for heterosexual sex only."

those who were persecuted during that time if that is what you are implying were living in the spirit of the early 1st century events of the religion of Antiquity they were willing to die for and had no knowledge of your 4th century christian bible -

whoever they were collectively that spent an entire 4th century collating the 4th century christian bible is who you are referring to and in the end produced what was described by them as - the State Church of the Roman Empire. so nipper it is you who is venerating those that have distorted the 1st for their and your political self interest and not ... the True Religion of Antiquity.
Total nonsense. They has the Old Testament if nothing else, and it is most likely copies of this existed in ALL the great libraries of that time. The Book of Isaiah (for one) collaborates the Messianic events that would transpire in the New Testament and its revelation of the Jesus.

Last edited:

Total nonsense. They has the Old Testament if nothing else, and it is most likely copies of this existed in ALL the great libraries of that time. The Book of Isaiah (for one) collaborates the Messianic events that would transpire in the New Testament and its revelation of the Jesus.

whoever they were collectively that spent an entire 4th century collating the 4th century christian bible is who you are referring to and in the end produced what was described by them as - the State Church of the Roman Empire.

- spent an entire 4th century collating the 4th century christian bible ...

Christianity in the 4th century was dominated in its early stage by Constantine the Great and the First Council of Nicaea of 325, which was the beginning of the period of the First seven Ecumenical Councils (325–787), and in its late stage by the Edict of Thessalonica of 380, which made Nicene Christianity the state church of the Roman Empire.

why then, nipper did it take them an entire century to finish your 4th century christian bible ... The State Church of The Roman Empire.

images

* maybe Joseph Goebbels can fill you in on the details ...

at any rate how do you reconcile christianity with the religion of Antiquity - The Triumph of Good vs Evil - as prescribed by the Almighty, included in your document.

whoever they were collectively that spent an entire 4th century collating the 4th century christian bible is who you are referring to and in the end produced what was described by them as - the State Church of the Roman Empire.

Christianity in the 4th century was dominated in its early stage by Constantine the Great and the First Council of Nicaea of 325, which was the beginning of the period of the First seven Ecumenical Councils (325–787), and in its late stage by the Edict of Thessalonica of 380, which made Nicene Christianity the state church of the Roman Empire.

why then, nipper did it take them an entire century to finish your 4th century christian bible ... The State Church of The Roman Empire.

images

at any rate how do you reconcile Christianity with the religion of Antiquity - The Triumph of Good vs Evil - as prescribed by the Almighty, included in your document.
Where is good winning over evil? Good triumphs over evil presently through the salvation of lost souls. Other than that we need to wait for the return of the Messiah and HIS Millennial Kingdom. However, this will only occur once the 7 year time of Jacob's Trouble arrives and ends. So for those left behind things will get far worse. That time is yet to come but with the growing multitude of earthquakes, floods, storms, and growing tension everywhere, over and over are likely signs of HIS nearing return.

Such things have always occurred, yet between governments labeling good bad and evil good and the seeming endless heightening of tragic events, and people scoffing that Christ will never return (if indeed He was ever here --- listening to those even on this website), I see that the birthing pains are seemingly beginning.

Last edited:

images

at any rate how do you reconcile Christianity with the religion of Antiquity - The Triumph of Good vs Evil - as prescribed by the Almighty, included in your document.
Where is good winning over evil? Good triumphs over evil presently through the salvation of lost souls. Other than that we need to wait for the return of the Messiah and HIS Millennial Kingdom. However, this will only occur once the 7 year time of Jacob's Trouble arrives and ends. So for those left behind things will get far worse. That time is yet to come but with the growing multitude of earthquakes, floods, storms, and growing tension everywhere, over and over are likely signs of HIS nearing return.

Such things have always occurred, yet between governments labeling good bad and evil good and the seeming endless heightening of tragic events, and people scoffing that Christ will never return (if indeed He was ever here --- listening to those even on this website), I see that the birthing pains are seemingly beginning.

Where is good winning over evil ...

currently that is a sapling among the sequoya and certainly not found in the christian congregations as a reflection of their history from the 4th century.

Good triumphs over evil presently through the salvation of lost souls ...

the Religion of Antiquity is to be fulfilled before a persons death for the individual, the collective judgement will occur when one side or the other triumphs in victory.

but with the growing multitude of earthquakes, floods, storms, and growing tension everywhere, over and over are likely signs of HIS nearing return ...

your book is fundamentally flawed by its lack of acknowledgement of the possibility for the desired Triumph by those still alive and the return of the Almighty to share in their victory.

jesus may return as all others that succeeded in the Triumph of Good per the desired concluding Triumph for the final Judgement however there can not be a christ as it is not possible by the Religion of Antiquity as prescribed by the Almighty theirself.

Forum List

Back