Belief-O-Matic!

Originally posted by Moi
I came out to be Universal Unitarianism...whatever that means.

He-he, me too, with Liberal Quaker and Neo-Pagan a close 2nd and 3rd.

I think that's the last time I let the internet tell me my religion
:p:

HEY fun site I'm a NEW THOUGHT never heard of it but I was hoping for something a bit stranger

ty for the link!

How did the Belief-O-Matic do?

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. New Age (92%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
4. Liberal Quakers (85%)
5. Mahayana Buddhism (81%)

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
How did the Belief-O-Matic do?

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. New Age (92%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
4. Liberal Quakers (85%)
5. Mahayana Buddhism (81%)

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (91%)
3. Neo-Pagan (88%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (81%)
5. Secular Humanism (81%)

Originally posted by Moi
I came out to be Universal Unitarianism...whatever that means.

• Belief in Deity
Very diverse beliefs--Unitarian/Universalists welcome all deity beliefs as well as nontheistic beliefs. Some congregations are formed for those who share a common belief, e.g. Christianity.

• Incarnations
Very diverse beliefs, including belief in no incarnations, or that all are the embodiment of God. Some believe Christ is God's Son, or not Son but "Wayshower."

• Origin of Universe and Life
Diverse beliefs, but most believe in the Bible as symbolic and that natural processes account for origins.

• After Death
Diverse beliefs, but most believe that heaven and hell are not places but are symbolic. Some believe heaven and hell are states of consciousness either in life or continuing after death; some believe in reincarnation; some believe that afterlife is nonexistent or not known or not important, as actions in life are all that matter.

• Why Evil?
Most do not believe that humanity inherited original sin from Adam and Eve or that Satan actually exists. Most believe that God is good and made people inherently good but also with free will and an imperfect nature that leads some to immoral behavior. Diverse beliefs. Some believe wrong is committed when people distance themselves from God. Some believe in “karma,” that what goes around comes around. Some believe wrongdoing is a matter of human nature, psychology, sociology, etc.

• Salvation
Some believe in salvation through faith in God and Jesus Christ, along with doing good works and doing no harm to others. Many believe all will be saved, as God is good and forgiving. Some believe in reincarnation and the necessity to eliminate personal greed or to learn all of life’s lessons before achieving enlightenment or salvation. For some, the concepts of salvation or enlightenment are irrelevant or disbelieved.

• Undeserving Suffering
Diverse beliefs. Most Unitarians do not believe that Satan causes suffering. Some believe suffering is part of God’s plan, will, or design, even if we don’t immediately understand it. Some don’t believe in any spiritual reasons for suffering, and most take a humanistic approach to helping those in need.

• Contemporary Issues
The Unitarian Universalist Association’s stance is to protect the personal right to choose abortion. Other contemporary views include working for equality for homosexuals, gender equality, a secular approach to divorce and remarriage, working to end poverty, promoting peace and nonviolence, and environmental protection.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
SIKHISM for me! Hey NewGuy, what the hell does that mean?:D
Truly I have no clue!

:cof:

Believe it or not, me either!
http://www.sikhs.org/
Sikhism
A progressive religion well ahead of its time when it was founded over 500 years ago, The Sikh religion today has a following of over 20 million people worldwide and is ranked as the worlds 5th largest religion. Sikhism preaches a message of devotion and remembrance of God at all times, truthful living, equality of mankind and denounces superstitions and blind rituals. Sikhism is open to all through the teachings of its 10 Gurus enshrined in the Sikh Holy Book and Living Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

If you go to this page, you begin to appear more middle eastern, though!

:D :p:

Originally posted by dilloduck
Hey new guy honestly check this baby out---I'm curious--

From a bird's eye view, it seemed to put me in the ballpark, but it only deals with the common definitions for each group, not necessarily the true beliefs, nor the agreed upon beliefs of each group.

As it says:
The top score on the list below represents the faith that Belief-O-Matic, in its less than infinite wisdom, thinks most closely matches your beliefs. However, even a score of 100% does not mean that your views are all shared by this faith, or vice versa.

Here is what I got although I have differences with each category I placed in:

1. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (100%)
2. Seventh Day Adventist (100%)
3. Orthodox Quaker (85%)
4. Eastern Orthodox (79%)
5. Roman Catholic (79%)
6. Orthodox Judaism (64%)
7. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (63%)
8. Jehovah's Witness (63%)
9. Islam (61%)
10. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (60%)
11. Hinduism (53%)
12. Jainism (48%)
13. Bahá'í Faith (45%)
14. Liberal Quakers (40%)
15. Mahayana Buddhism (37%)
16. Theravada Buddhism (37%)
17. Sikhism (36%)
18. Unitarian Universalism (34%)
19. Reform Judaism (33%)
20. Nontheist (32%)
21. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (28%)
22. Scientology (24%)
23. Neo-Pagan (23%)
24. New Age (21%)
25. Secular Humanism (21%)
26. Taoism (19%)
27. New Thought (17%)

About my #1 ranking:

Also sometimes referred to as traditionalist, orthodox, fundamentalist, or evangelical. This is an umbrella term for Protestant denominations, or churches within denominations, which are Bible-centered, viewing the Holy Bible as the final and only authority, the inerrant Word of God, interpreted literally as law. There are more than 2,000 Protestant denominations offering a wide range of beliefs, from extremely liberal to mainline to ultra-conservative, and those that include characteristics on both ends. Examples include some churches within Pentecostal, Southern Baptist, fundamentalist, evangelical, Lutheran, etc. Anglican/Episcopalian is often regarded as a "bridge" denomination between Roman Catholic and Protestant.

• Belief in Deity
Most Conservative Protestants believe God is incorporeal, omnipresent spirit--a Trinity of the Father (God), the Son (Christ), and the Holy Spirit that comprises one God Almighty.

• Incarnations
Jesus Christ is God's only incarnation. He is the Son of God and God, both fully divine and fully human, part of the Trinity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, which comprises one God Almighty.

• Origin of Universe and Life
The biblical book of Genesis is inerrant. God created the universe and all life forms from nothing in less than 7 days, less than 10,000 years ago--not as revealed by modern science. Many resolve the conflict between scientific evidence and the book of Genesis with the contention that God created the appearance of evolution (perhaps as a test of faith), or that scientific evidence is faulty.

• After Death
Saved souls experience the bliss of heaven and unsaved souls the torture of hell. On Judgment Day, Jesus Christ will resurrect the dead, reunite body and soul, and judge each for eternity in heaven, or on a restored, paradisiacal earth, or in hell. Some believe the souls of the dead will remain "asleep" until the resurrection and final judgment.

• Why Evil?
The original sin of Adam and Eve caused all to inherit sinfulness. Some Conservative Protestants believe that only relatively few people will be saved. The work and influence of Satan prevail among the unsaved and/or those who lack complete faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

• Salvation
Salvation is granted by the grace of God alone, through faith in Jesus Christ alone as Lord and Savior--not through "works" such as moral behavior, good deeds, and generally not through sacraments. Some believe that once saved, or born again, always saved. Many Conservative Protestants regard baptism, when performed, as a practice for adult believers, rather than infants/children, as it is not considered a sacrament for salvation but an act of commitment to the fellowship. However, some churches do regard certain sacraments as very important components on the path to salvation (e.g. Evangelical Lutheran Church of America), including infant baptism, regarding baptism as a miracle from God that creates faith in the heart. Some Protestants regard baptism as a washing away of sin, which may be repeated. Among most, confession/repentance is considered personal, between the individual and God, unless a public sin is involved, and confession to a pastor, when offered, is optional. Some use exorcism to remove indwelling evil spirits. Pentecostalists believe that speaking in tongues is a gift from God as evidence of having been born again, and some regard it as the only evidence of having been born again. Preaching the gospel, the Word of God, is often regarded as a means for building faith in Christ.

• Undeserved Suffering
Some suffering is caused by the inheritance of mortality originating from Adam and Eve's disobedience to God, which includes vulnerability to illness and disease. Also, Satan rules the earth, causing pain and suffering. Many believe that suffering is God's design to test, teach, or strengthen belief in Him; the greater the suffering of innocent believers, the greater will be their reward after life.

• Contemporary Issues
Abortion is considered murder. Positions among denominations on divorce vary from unacceptability of divorce and remarriage to acceptance of divorce in certain situations and remarriage.

More on Conservative Protestants
# Protestant Section: http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10031.html

Very cool... I know that a 20 question quiz on the internet isn't going to match people up completely, but I figured it would be fun, at least!

NewGuy, I got 100% on Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant also. However, I do take the stance that God created the universe through the Big Bang - though I think that theologically speaking, it's not extremely important what people believe about how God created the universe, but that they recognize that God is the creator.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Very cool... I know that a 20 question quiz on the internet isn't going to match people up completely, but I figured it would be fun, at least!

NewGuy, I got 100% on Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant also. However, I do take the stance that God created the universe through the Big Bang - though I think that theologically speaking, it's not extremely important what people believe about how God created the universe, but that they recognize that God is the creator.

Hey, we can argue the finer points once we get there and realize we didn't know much of anything anyway! :D

:beer:

I think this quote is applicable in this thread :)

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
I think this quote is applicable in this thread :)

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

Agreed.
Drives me crazy when someone tries to force their religion on someone else or fault someone because of their religion.

I know some whacko fucking Mormons, though. But I just fault them not their religion though I don't agree with many of their tenets.

I have a story about mormons coming to my door - (and dk just audibly moaned lol)

I dont ever turn anyone away from my door that comes about religion. I invite them in then show them my reverend credentials. Some pretty interesting conversations ensue

My wife had some Mormons come to the door a while ago (WA has a high Mormon population). She asked them a couple of questions about how their faith conflicts with the Bible, which they claim to uphold. One girl actually said, "Hmm, I never thought about that." The other girl changed the subject! :)

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (97%)
3. Nontheist (86%)
4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (83%)

Considering my answers (mostly no's, disagree's, and not applicable's), I don't think this questionaire gives a very accurate result. I would have imagined my results would have been closer too:

1. Nontheist (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (97%)

and a distant third

3. Unitarian Universalism (23%)

Christian Protestantism wouldn't even have shown up.

I like how scientology is on there. Why don't they have the Branch Davidians too?

Forum List

Back