Belgium Euthanizes Deaf Twins Going Blind

what is wrong with letting someone die who truly wants to die? the argument about state's interest is complete nonsense, imo.

Doesn't the scenario creep you out? No other civilized society in history has arranged for the execution of disabled people who "want to die".. How much time did they give them to change their minds. Did authorities offer any counseling?

what is wrong with letting someone die who truly wants to die? the argument about state's interest is complete nonsense, imo.

Doesn't the scenario creep you out? No other civilized society in history has arranged for the execution of disabled people who "want to die".. How much time did they give them to change their minds. Did authorities offer any counseling?

They both saw a psychiatrist.

Again if people want to die ... it's their decision ....I would not do it only because I would be too afraid of the consequences in the after life.

You cannot break the law of life and get away with it.

1. no, doesn't creep me out.

2. assuming your claim is true, what is your point? that because it wasn't done before, means we can't do so now? that is a weak argument.

3. see japanese history for ending your own life.

Very interesting story.

To answer your question -- No! I would beg to be euthanized rather than to live that way.

I believe very strongly in the right to euthanasia. I have for many years supported the Hemlock Society and I consider Dr. Jack Kevorkian to be one of the few real heroes of our time. In my opinion it's time to die when there is nothing left to live for and the only question I have about that is the best way to do it.

If I had nothing left to live for and the choice were available to me I would put my financial affairs in order, pay in advance for respectful disposal of my corpse, and ask to be gradually set adrift in an increasingly potent narcotic stupor until totally unconscious and then terminated. A painless, intensely pleasurable exit.

I've read that suicide prevention is a priority concern in most American prisons, which I regard as insidiously cruel. Offenders facing long prison terms should be granted the option of euthanasia rather than being forced to endure what probably is sheer psychological torture.

I wonder if access to euthanasia might serve as a deterrent to many homicides, inasmuch as many homicides are outer-directed suicides (and many suicides are inner-directed homicides).

And while on this subject it occurs to me that the rate of suicide among our active military personnel is absolutely stunning! I heard that more of our troops commit suicide than are killed in actual combat. Can this be true? I was in the military in the mid-1950s and I can't recall ever hearing about a single suicide.

This is an amazing statistic: Military suicides rise to a record 349, topping number of troops killed in combat - The Washington Post

Something is very, very wrong and this situation needs to be closely examined.

I have never thought of this aspect before but it does bear some consideration.
If it was such torture why do inmates on death row petition for clemency?
Some do. Not all. A better question is why is suicide prevention a high priority in most prisons?

Last edited:

They both saw a psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist who was employed by the people who were willing to execute them? I wonder if he/she knew sign language or they just winged it. Anybody who thinks that it's a good idea for a government bureaucracy to execute people who claim they want to die is crazy.

I did some looking around for more information on this topic in Belgium because I am barely informed on the entire matter. Just some readings from people who are closer to this situation.

To learn more about the practice of euthanasia in Belgium, it is helpful to read the recent article by Peter Saunders, the campaign director for the Care NOT Killing Alliance in the UK analyses experience of euthanasia in Belgium over the past 10 years.

You should also read an interesting article by American bioethicist, Wesley Smith, entitled Belgium euthanasia: Off the Moral Cliff.

Alex Schadenberg wrote an interesting article in 2011 concerning the euthanasia trends in Belgium that was titled: Euthanasia is out-of-control in Belgium.

The Daily Mail article concludes by stating that in 2011 there were 1133 reported cases of euthanasia in Belgium.

It is important to note that in Belgium studies indicate that up to 47% of all euthanasia deaths go unreported.

Belgian twins euthanized out of fear of blindness, what may be next in Belgium | NRL News Today

Promoting palliative care, Opposing euthanasia and assisted suicide - Care Not Killing - Care NOT Killing - Promoting care, Opposing euthanasia - Care Not Killing

I can see a whole new industry now.

Cue ad, "Life just doesn't seem worth living anymore?
Call 1-888-555 DEAD NOW! to arrange for your psychological evaluation to
determine if your circumstances qualify you to end your suffering permanently
by our team of doctors. It's easy, its painless and its PERMANENT.
DON'T DELAY!"

DON'T DELAY!"

Especially if someone sees a profit to be made. Anything is ripe for abuse.

DON'T DELAY!"

Especially if someone sees a profit to be made. Anything is ripe for abuse.

I saw Soylent Green when I was about 10.
Scared the crap outta me and thats what I think of whenever euthanasia comes up.
The ending of the old man's life.:sad:

If they are at the end of the rope..... go ahead.... if its too horrible... :( I understand that... still... I want assurance that it's not going to be even worse in the beyond :(

I am not going to do it.

NO ............that's the only thing we are not allowed to do..to take our own lives.... I don't know....it all depends ...yes but..... I prefer to go to the bitter end..... and be dead in a normal way and have released and Liberation......... I am scared that after.... its going to be worse....

Too scary ...so no.

Years ago a much older friend of mine, actually he was like a second father, had developed an illness and it took a great toll on him. I would visit him and offer to take him to the beach, he loved the sea, I called him Captain Lou and I sailed around Manhattan Island in his cabin cruiser. He was a tough bastard, gruff, and a salt of the earth kind of guy. This prick even tried to make some moves on a girl I was going out with.

As time passed the illness got better, but, his mental health never did. He shot himself and died. I still respect him and his decision.

Forum List

Back