Being nicer in debate

I have pledged to myself to try and be more civil and level headed in Debates on this forum. No matter how upset I might get. Not sure how well I have been doing at it.

However it seems since I started I have been getting about 4 times as much Pos rep as I did before :)

We need more Civil Debate. This country has so many problems to solve, and we will never solve them with out civil discussions.

People will generally give as good as they get. If you speak and engage people with respect, do not insult or attack, you will receive the same treatment in return. There are the occasional few idiots who just cant keep their mouths in check or feel their opinions are the only ones that are right.

Everyone can see who you are by your words and the way you present yourself. If you are an asshole here you are most likely an asshole in real life. The truth of you is in every word. Its good to know you have realized that CM

Unfortunately this place is not far from the madding crowd, it is the madding crowd.

Disagree. When losers start losing, they start with the personal attacks. Attack them or not, they WILL attack you.

You can blame conhog if you want but the fact is, he didn't invent jack. Was happening WAY before him and the left seems to consider it an order of battle. Was about 2003 last time I got a legitimate argument out of a lefty.

This again. It helps your assertion if only you evaluate "legitimacy", Gunny. But since you seem to want to debate....pick a topic.

Health care? Hunger? Education? Immigration? The economy? Something else?

What would you like to discuss/debate?

Twice this past weekend I was shocked and surprised when posters I really thought had no care for my feelings told me they would alter their conduct to avoid injuring me. People can surprise you.

That said, more judicious use of the iggy button seems in order for some of us, including me.

Does ignoring a problem really work for you?

I've found that I learn a LOT more by giving everyone their say,

and just disappearing if they're fuktards.

While I'm off, researching whatever, and learning a bunch of extraneous facts,

they're Stuck Like Chuck, eh? ;)

Last edited:
I've never used ignore. Partially because it just doesn't occur to me to go to the effort when I can just scroll past the usual suspects. Maybe I should....but I probably won't.

Same here. It's just easier to scroll down.

Twice this past weekend I was shocked and surprised when posters I really thought had no care for my feelings told me they would alter their conduct to avoid injuring me. People can surprise you.

That said, more judicious use of the iggy button seems in order for some of us, including me.

That's what I try and tell some people, but they don't listen to me. So from that I draw the conclusion that they like it.

Seems a few can't even be nice in a thread about being nice.

That's sad.....

Yes, it does. I haven't got the hold on my temper I'd like. Sometimes I just need a break, other times it's best for all concerned if I use the iggy button permanently. I know all the anglo saxen swear words there are, but demonstrating that facility to the readers at large seems to me to serve no purpose.

Shorter answer: there are some POVs I cannot abide. Can Not.

I have pledged to myself to try and be more civil and level headed in Debates on this forum. No matter how upset I might get. Not sure how well I have been doing at it.

However it seems since I started I have been getting about 4 times as much Pos rep as I did before :)

We need more Civil Debate. This country has so many problems to solve, and we will never solve them with out civil discussions.

read this thread again: http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/133730-question-for-the-general-welfare-crowd.html you did pretty well. one thing, when your being nice(r)...please do not include post replies or group hugs to or with the nitiwts.

you and I had a pretty good thread discussion, even as I battled the loser without involving you at all.

I have done this repeatedly on USMB but far too many people are stuck on stupid and personalities or fucking silly and hilarious agendas to even notice when threads are going well between two individuals or a small group.

So Charles, you wonder why debate gets stifled? When we include the trolls in a one on one discussion, they win. They win because you admit you walk away wanting better.

I really do know how to play this game, but I have shown you here how to play it well. You did pretty damn good, but you allowed the troll into the discussion between us.

D
:cool:

oh yeah, I will and have engaged people who some trollish assholes here think are trolls.

I think you engage everyone on their level.

trying to get everyone to rise to a level is futile, because ... if I have to explain you have no clue about human nature where crowds or groups are present.

read this thread again: http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/133730-question-for-the-general-welfare-crowd.html you did pretty well. one thing, when your being nice(r)...please do not include post replies or group hugs to or with the nitiwts.

you and I had a pretty good thread discussion, even as I battled the loser without involving you at all.

I have done this repeatedly on USMB but far too many people are stuck on stupid and personalities or fucking silly and hilarious agendas to even notice when threads are going well between two individuals or a small group.

So Charles, you wonder why debate gets stifled? When we include the trolls in a one on one discussion, they win. They win because you admit you walk away wanting better.

I really do know how to play this game, but I have shown you here how to play it well. You did pretty damn good, but you allowed the troll into the discussion between us.

D
:cool:

Dante, I suspect you are bright and have something worth hearing to say. I wonder if I'll ever get to prove this theory?

Oh for the love of God, this is a thread about being nice, could you possibly try doing so in this one thread at least?

Geez, one poster calling other posters assholes and another calling other posters stupid in a thread that is supposed to be about civility.

PATHETIC effort ladies.

The Trolls don't count imo.

You know the ones I'm talking about.

The copy/paste gang, the linking to racist website peeps, the ones who post David Duke for President vids, yada yada.

I've tried to get dialogue going on here about a Third Party, yet it turns to crap after about 7 posts, so I just give up.

Let's see what happens!
:eusa_pray:

Question, do you consider posters like Yukon, Rdean,CurvedLight, etc etc exempt? For me they certainly are.
They don't debate, they troll.

I treat it like if I was somewhere discussing politics with someone in the "real world"- you like to go back and forth, but once they start getting belligerant or cussing at you, or calling you names, then it's time to walk away. It's what I do in real life, and what I do on here. (Though I don't think I've ever been called a c*nt in real life, but have on here several times)

The sign of low class is someone that calls others fuckwits, twats, and c*nts when you're trying to talk about an issue., wouldn't you agree?

The Trolls don't count imo.

You know the ones I'm talking about.

The copy/paste gang, the linking to racist website peeps, the ones who post David Duke for President vids, yada yada.

I've tried to get dialogue going on here about a Third Party, yet it turns to crap after about 7 posts, so I just give up.

Let's see what happens!
:eusa_pray:

Question, do you consider posters like Yukon, Rdean,CurvedLight, etc etc exempt? For me they certainly are.
They don't debate, they troll.

I treat it like if I was somewhere discussing politics with someone in the "real world"- you like to go back and forth, but once they start getting belligerant or cussing at you, or calling you names, then it's time to walk away. It's what I do in real life, and what I do on here. (Though I don't think I've ever been called a c*nt in real life, but have on here several times)

The sign of low class is someone that calls others fuckwits, twats, and c*nts when you're trying to talk about an issue., wouldn't you agree?

It is low class, but it's not the ONLY low class thing done on here, so in SOME ways are they any worse than others?

People will generally give as good as they get. If you speak and engage people with respect, do not insult or attack, you will receive the same treatment in return. There are the occasional few idiots who just cant keep their mouths in check or feel their opinions are the only ones that are right.

Everyone can see who you are by your words and the way you present yourself. If you are an asshole here you are most likely an asshole in real life. The truth of you is in every word. Its good to know you have realized that CM

Unfortunately this place is not far from the madding crowd, it is the madding crowd.

Disagree. When losers start losing, they start with the personal attacks. Attack them or not, they WILL attack you.

You can blame conhog if you want but the fact is, he didn't invent jack. Was happening WAY before him and the left seems to consider it an order of battle. Was about 2003 last time I got a legitimate argument out of a lefty.

I agree with you Gunny, that is why i said some people just cant keep their mouths in check and their opinions are the only ones that are right. ;)

And here i was trying to say it nicely about the looser being looser and showing their true colors of who they are in real life.

And Gunny, what are you talking about conhog for? :lol:

Forum List

Back