Being nicer in debate

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
I have pledged to myself to try and be more civil and level headed in Debates on this forum. No matter how upset I might get. Not sure how well I have been doing at it.

However it seems since I started I have been getting about 4 times as much Pos rep as I did before :)

We need more Civil Debate. This country has so many problems to solve, and we will never solve them with out civil discussions.

I have pledged to myself to try and be more civil and level headed in Debates on this forum. No matter how upset I might get. Not sure how well I have been doing at it.

However it seems since I started I have been getting about 4 times as much Pos rep as I did before :)

We need more Civil Debate. This country has so many problems to solve, and we will never solve them with out civil discussions.

Cool. :thup:

I try to keep my clown-with-a-bullhorn behavior in the FZ. Keyword: try.

I've noticed you joined the club Charles. Our numbers are growing.

Its soooooo hard at first to not respond to insults with insults but after a while it gets to be fun. I'm having a much more enjoyable time on the forums since restoring my personal honor in my interactions with anonymous people I dont know in real life (no offence to those I do know for real)

I wish you the best of luck!

I know how hard it can be....

I made the same vow 3 or 4 weeks ago and so far I have stuck to it (mostly)

I vow to you that I will try to help you in your vow by NEVER being uncivil on any issue with you!

so....
that's 2 of us....

conhog joined me in the vow but I'm not sure how he is doing....
?

he has been mostly civil with me (he slipped once and I ignored it)
(he slipped a second time and I reminded him of the vow....but I NEVER barked back!)
overall though he has been pretty civil to me and I appreciate that and respect him for it!

maybe we can start a movement that will actually get things done!

if enough people get fed up with the barking and bickering and roll up their sleaves maybe we can fix most of the mess!

best of luck , my friend...!

Just do what I do. Post useless dribble, mixed with a few random images from Google and make fun of yourself a lot. Works for me! :D

Last edited:

I vow to you that I will try to help you in your vow by NEVER being uncivil on any issue with you!

so....
that's 2 of us....

?

(he slipped a second time and I reminded him of the vow....but I NEVER barked back!)
overall though he has been pretty civil to me and I appreciate that and respect him for it!

if enough people get fed up with the barking and bickering and roll up their sleaves maybe we can fix most of the mess!

I'm trying, but have been facing a personal barrage of hatred lately. i am ashamed to admit that I have been taking the bait they have been throwing out.

Overall though outside of the FZ I think I'm doing pretty good except for with this one group of people. Unfortunately it is the "cool" group and so they have a several friends who join in. edited. -EZIt's quite disappointing but I'm at least partially to blame.

so....
that's 2 of us....

?

I'm trying, but have been facing a personal barrage of hatred lately. i am ashamed to admit that I have been taking the bait they have been throwing out.

I just remind myself, if I dismiss their name calling and hate, and talk back to them with Respect it will only Highlight how petty and childish they are being.

so....
that's 2 of us....

?

I just remind myself, if I dismiss their name calling and hate, and talk back to them with Respect it will only Highlight how petty and childish they are being.

Good advice Charles, unfortunately they found my button, and know that is pisses me off to no end, of course that was stupidity on my own part for letting them know how much it bothered me in the first place.

I welcome each of you to remind me of my goal.

I'm All OVER The Place,

but I've always tried to be respectful,

unless you're one of the folks that I just Do Not LIKEEE,

and THAT freaks me out.

It's like a chemical reaction of the worst sort,

so I'm trying to avoid getting personally invested in whatever WORDS I post...

We'll see how this goes... :rofl:

For the most part this is 100% true. Many (never all, but many) will actually start to match your tone if you treat them with respect and ignore their bait.

And of course there are people I have very respectful debates with on here but with little jabs and inside jokes running through them for fun rather than spite. It looks worse than it is, honest. :lol:

There are a few people who will only go to the gutter though. They can't function on any other level. I gave up trying with that kind. I ignore them most of the time, but give in to the temptation to use them as chew toys on occasion. :redface:

The Flame Zone doesn't count, that's not supposed to be civil. But I still have limits on how far I'll go.

Good luck, seriously. It's not always easy but it's always worth at least trying.

Good advice Charles, unfortunately they found my button, and know that is pisses me off to no end, of course that was stupidity on my own part for letting them know how much it bothered me in the first place.

I welcome each of you to remind me of my goal.

You've been really good with me, and I do appreciate it!

and I really respect you for it!

I have moved to you my list of "posters who deserve christmas cards!"

:razz:

The Trolls don't count imo.

You know the ones I'm talking about.

The copy/paste gang, the linking to racist website peeps, the ones who post David Duke for President vids, yada yada.

I've tried to get dialogue going on here about a Third Party, yet it turns to crap after about 7 posts, so I just give up.

Let's see what happens!
:eusa_pray:

People will generally give as good as they get. If you speak and engage people with respect, do not insult or attack, you will receive the same treatment in return. There are the occasional few idiots who just cant keep their mouths in check or feel their opinions are the only ones that are right.

Everyone can see who you are by your words and the way you present yourself. If you are an asshole here you are most likely an asshole in real life. The truth of you is in every word. Its good to know you have realized that CM

Unfortunately this place is not far from the madding crowd, it is the madding crowd.

Just for the record, I have no problem if anyone flames me anywhere on the board. It adds an edge to debate, so long as you can be creative, stay on topic, and make the points while calling me names. I'm not one of these panzies on here running around and getting bent out of shape over it, sending whiny PMs or neggas if someone calls me a libturd douchebag or bumble-bee ass or whatever. So don't feel obligated to be nice to me; it's just the interwebz. FYI. :thup:

The Trolls don't count imo.

You know the ones I'm talking about.

The copy/paste gang, the linking to racist website peeps, the ones who post David Duke for President vids, yada yada.

I've tried to get dialogue going on here about a Third Party, yet it turns to crap after about 7 posts, so I just give up.

Let's see what happens!
:eusa_pray:

Question, do you consider posters like Yukon, Rdean,CurvedLight, etc etc exempt? For me they certainly are.

Twice this past weekend I was shocked and surprised when posters I really thought had no care for my feelings told me they would alter their conduct to avoid injuring me. People can surprise you.

That said, more judicious use of the iggy button seems in order for some of us, including me.

I've never used ignore. Partially because it just doesn't occur to me to go to the effort when I can just scroll past the usual suspects. Maybe I should....but I probably won't.

Forum List

Back