Being Light Skinned Is Really Hard.

I had a very interesting encounter today. I was sitting in the Malcolm X Lounge, a study room at the University of Texas that’s dedicated to African-American studies, but open to anyone. I was on a couch and had my feet up on a small table. When a girl came and sat down on the couch to my left, I jokingly made a big deal about moving my legs. She responded with, “Stop being so lazy, light-skin.”
I really wasn’t offended by the light-skin reference, but I was totally caught off guard by the way she used the term. See light-skinnededness (no that’s not a real word) has been the target of black humor for a while now, but usually people just say, “Stop being so light-skinned.”
A lot of y’all are probably wondering what that even means so I’ll break it down for you (sorry black people, bear with me here- I know ya’ll already know this stuff). It actually means somewhat different things if it’s being used to describe a guy or a girl, although there are some commonalities.
Guy acting light-skinned means:
  1. Showing and expressing emotions too freely,
  2. Being too “friendly”,
  3. Doing anything that could be seen as gay or feminine,
  4. Acting like Drake and/or listening to too much Drake,
  5. And just generally being “soft”
Next time tell the bitch to shut her lip or you'll bitch-slap her ugly black ass into tomorrow. Throw in a couple of "niggah please!!!!"'s for good measure.

She might like that authentically African-American response.

Sorry to hear about the abuse you have suffered but your experiences have nothing to do with being authentically African American in any way.

I had a very interesting encounter today. I was sitting in the Malcolm X Lounge, a study room at the University of Texas that’s dedicated to African-American studies, but open to anyone. I was on a couch and had my feet up on a small table. When a girl came and sat down on the couch to my left, I jokingly made a big deal about moving my legs. She responded with, “Stop being so lazy, light-skin.”
I really wasn’t offended by the light-skin reference, but I was totally caught off guard by the way she used the term. See light-skinnededness (no that’s not a real word) has been the target of black humor for a while now, but usually people just say, “Stop being so light-skinned.”
A lot of y’all are probably wondering what that even means so I’ll break it down for you (sorry black people, bear with me here- I know ya’ll already know this stuff). It actually means somewhat different things if it’s being used to describe a guy or a girl, although there are some commonalities.
  2. Being too “friendly”,
Next time tell the bitch to shut her lip or you'll bitch-slap her ugly black ass into tomorrow. Throw in a couple of "niggah please!!!!"'s for good measure.

Sorry to hear about the abuse you have suffered but your experiences have nothing to do with being authentically African American in any way.
There are only a handful of people who are truly African - American. Too bad you're not one of them. :D

2. Being too “friendly”,

2. Being too “friendly”,

Interesting. Sounds like something that you WISH that you could say to someone that you may know or know of.
I was being facetious of course.

Of course you were :dance:

2. Being too “friendly”,

2. Being too “friendly”,

Interesting. Sounds like something that you WISH that you could say to someone that you may know or know of.

Of course.

Not my fault you can't recognize sarcasm when it is presented to you in such an obvious manner.

2. Being too “friendly”,

2. Being too “friendly”,

Of course.

Not my fault you can't recognize sarcasm when it is presented to you in such an obvious manner.
  2. Being too “friendly”,

2. Being too “friendly”,

Of course.

What I recognize is the difference between sarcasm and a thinly veiled comment, depending on who it comes from.....carry on.

Lighter is better, always has been. Shit, I don't even like white chicks with a deep tan! :D

Forum List

Back