Being Catholic means you have answers to all the big questions...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
...so I could never be one of those poets or science fiction writers who pine away, miserable because I don't know the meaning of life, or thinking life is ultimately pointless and bleak.

Now, I can still be miserable if I want, when I realize that God has not arranged the universe so that I always get exactly what I want.

But I'm comfortable, and have enough to eat. Really, that's all Jesus promised when he said God would take care of us.

When I grew up, almost everyone I knew was Catholic. I went to a Catholic high school, but most my public school friends were also Catholic. So being Catholic was like being normal when I grew up.

One day, a boy came up to me, and out of the blue said, "I don't believe in God, do you?"

I said nothing to the boy.

I was so shocked by his statement, because it had literally never occurred to me that God was something you could NOT believe in.

So I said nothing, and he walked away.

There's really no point to my tale except to say, I think Catholicism takes the edge off.

I went to a private school where most of the kids were NOT Catholic, and the kids were very nasty, both to each other and to the teachers.

But I never had any of these problems in Catholic school. There were a few bullies, but mostly I had no problem with people.

I went to Catholic law school, and the people were very nice.

But I've heard that most law schools are awful places, and people do not enjoy going to them.

Forum List

Back