Being a conservative does NOT require the following...

Hahaha. Fox thinks her trolling is "appropriate". Her every sentence is a dig to liberals. Any support for the President expressed by any poster to her is "making Obama a God". That's ridiculous.

I long for the days when conservatives, democrats, republicans and liberals could discuss the important issues of our day. I do remember such times. Not at USMB, but in my lifetime.

It's impossible to discuss issues with Fox because she is too busy digging at liberals.

Last edited:
Being a conservative used to mean what libertarian now means. Small government, personal responsibility and the right to privacy.

Now it's God, guns and greed, and hate.

Your last post above mine is kinda 2 sided for you is it not? You just said the very things you decried.

Anyways I'm a conservative republican and I don't believe in god (nor do I critique those that do), I don't own any guns, and I'm far from greedy.

Your post fails to do anything but generalize one segment of people. No surprise its people you disagree with.

You mean people need to have open minds? That's crazy:p

I believe most conservatives do have open minds which does not mean an empty mind or lacking conviction or certainty or cognizance. Of course we conservatives have our share of clueless wingnuts who spout mostly nonsense and don't have a clue why they are conservative. But I think their numbers are pretty small when compared to the very large and diverse group of citizens who tilt right of center in varying degrees on most things.

Exactly the same could be said of those of us on the left.

Being a conservative used to mean what libertarian now means. Small government, personal responsibility and the right to privacy.

Now it's God, guns and greed, and hate.

Your last post above mine is kinda 2 sided for you is it not? You just said the very things you decried.

Anyways I'm a conservative republican and I don't believe in god (nor do I critique those that do), I don't own any guns, and I'm far from greedy.

Your post fails to do anything but generalize one segment of people. No surprise its people you disagree with.

LOL. And I am a liberal, own multiple guns, don't have a real opinion on the existance, or non-existance, of a Diety, and am quite satisfied with the pay that my trade has brought me.

Generalizations tend to polarize and blur the reality that is being considered. Thereby diminishing the chance of any real solutions being considered by either side.

Sorry but those are mainstays of the current republican party.

It what has helped them build the base they now have.

That and cheating in elections is the only way they could have won all three braches in the last decade

Do you consider taking something that does not belong to you, 'theft'?

You mean people need to have open minds? That's crazy:p

I believe most conservatives do have open minds which does not mean an empty mind or lacking conviction or certainty or cognizance. Of course we conservatives have our share of clueless wingnuts who spout mostly nonsense and don't have a clue why they are conservative. But I think their numbers are pretty small when compared to the very large and diverse group of citizens who tilt right of center in varying degrees on most things.

Exactly the same could be said of those of us on the left.

Certainly it could. I have a number of friends far left of me who I admire a great deal and who I listen to when they speak because they generally have a pretty solid basis for what they are talking about. There are a number of liberal 'media' types that I read regularly and find to be thoughtful and consisent in being rational. Among those were William Raspberry who I miss terribly since his demise a few years ago, Camille Paglia, Michael Kinsley, et al. Even Maureen Dowd, the left's version of Ann Coulter, has her moments as does Ann for those who can read her with an open mind.

There are a number of leftists here at USMB for whom I hold a lot of respect and even affection because they are capable of articulating their opinions without being insulting to those who hold different opinions.

And then there are those who enter every thread with some kind of nonsense about "greedy" or "hateful" or "evil" Republicans or Conservatives, who send me insulting PMs, and who rarely miss a chance to take a personal shot at somebody. Those I not only do not respect but think the board would be improved if they would just go find some board of like minded souls and leave the rest of us alone.

Edit: I hasten to add that 'conservatives' who are similarly clueless also do not improve the board experience for the rest of us.

I do NOT want the thoughtful, thinking, liberals to go away. If they did, who would I argue with on those few issues that all of us conservatives agree on? :)

Seriously, while of course I think modern American conservatism to be superior to ANY other ideology, I would not want no liberal input at all. It is far too easy to become complacent and stop thinking and stop paying attention to the consequences of error and mistakes if there is nobody watching for that or challenging the conventional wisdom.

Last edited:
If you were respectful to those who hold views to the left of yours you would say so. Instead all we hear are complaints about EVERYTHING that is wrong with our country is the fault of liberals.

That's wrong. As American citizens we co-create the situation we have in our country now. Once upon a time, we worked together as citizens. Not any more.

It's wrong to continually play the blame game. It's not only wrong, but it's also boring as hell.

If you want respect, give it. Don't expect it just because you're the priveleged majority. Don't expect people to play "nicey nicey" when their butts are on the line.

Try turning you nose level instead of up in the air, Fox.

Last edited:
Personally demeaning your political opposition

Calling those you don't agree with unamerican

Questioning someone's patriotism

Agreeing with every position of every GOP pundit or candidate

Being unwilling to settle for less than you ideal candidate

Answering every ridiculous racism charge

Excusing every position of any given GOP candidate

Being a Christian

Standing firm on Every position no matter how minuscule

Listing demands of other conservatives

Being perfect in your reflection of conservative positions

Most of all we need to stop the nonsense of telling each other that they are not, or hate, America. It's single handidly the dumbest thing I've seen regularly on here besides my spelling. Saying it in a joking manner is one thing but I see many of you attempting to use it as a weapon. It diminishes your position in any debate and makes you look small. The right nor the left holds a monopoly on patriotism.

You'd never do that, would you?

I'm certainly not faultless but to my memory I've never questioned anyone's patriotism or claimed they hated America. Nor do I think I've ever demanded another conservative agree with any position but rather be open minded to ideas.

I was having fun....since this OP is sort of a list of demands for what other conservatives shouldn't do.

I'm certainly not faultless but to my memory I've never questioned anyone's patriotism or claimed they hated America. Nor do I think I've ever demanded another conservative agree with any position but rather be open minded to ideas.

I was having fun....since this OP is sort of a list of demands for what other conservatives shouldn't do.

Conservatives often question liberals patriotism and claim we hate America.

Oh I see. Well it was created out of frustration at always being told what I should or shouldn't think. It's basically a nod to the things we don't have to do just to fit into some neat little box.
Then there is the whole insultfest commentary.

Just my random thoughts at 2 am or what ever ridiculous time it was.

Conservatives often question liberals patriotism and claim we hate America.

I see it on both sides. I don't partake however.

Forum List

Back