Beijing air quality worst ever recorded

I think it's reasonable to ask, when we're turning ourselves into pretzels on multiple levels trying to eliminate our greenhouse gas emissions, how we're going to get the Chinese to do the same. That's a burgeoning economy with room for massive growth, and they're not likely to follow our direction.

Unless there's evidence that we emit enough of these gases to turn the tide all by ourselves (and maybe that's the case), that seems like a fair question.

China would be the GOP's dream for america. Next to no environmental laws, workers in slave labor camps working for .35 cents an hour, no benefits, next to no safety standards,...it's a fascists utopia!

Yup. Just like America in the late 19th century, which is where they want to return us to.

Been there. It's true. I came home sick from breathing all the junk in the air. Part of it is that they still burn a lot of coal there because they have vast reserves of coal and it is economical to do so. But it affects the rest of the world, when the only one who gets the finger pointed for pollution is the US.

Well, when I lived in England they had the same problem, they began using processed coal to reduce the sulfur in the air and made smokeless zones. I guess the Chinese don't have time to control their emmisions. It's cheaper to let the people die than go crazy and control the poisons like Americans do. Then there's the fact that China has nearly deforested their country too.

There are laws in China regulating emissions. They are just not always followed to the letter, particularly out in the hinterlands.

I found this interesting in that connection-
"And, unfortunately, that isn't their only drawback. Mining and refining rare earths makes an environmental mess, leading most countries to neglect their own reserves, even as demand soars. China has been the main exception since the early 1990s, dominating global trade with its willingness to intensively mine rare earths — and to deal with their acidic, radioactive byproducts. That's why the U.S., despite large deposits of its own, still gets 92 percent of its rare earths from China."
What are rare earth metals? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Forum List

Back