Behold - The Protest!

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
I’ve been thinking about how civil rights protests are often discussed. It seems to me that the first thing that happens is an attempt to discredit the protester himself. As if finding something negative about the individual means that he isn’t worthy of making any kind of a statement. I disagree with that. We would all be hard pressed to find a “perfect” individual on this planet to whom everyone would willingly listen.

By taking the focus off of the reason for the protest and placing it on the protester, I think we take our eye off the ball, so to speak. We act as though, if the protester were a better person, we would be more open to his message and look more closely at his cause. But I don’t think that’s true.

Because you have broken the law, does that mean you can no longer protest something you consider an injustice to certain segments of society? Because you are famous and wealthy, does that mean you can no longer protest what you consider the mistreatment of people in the community you came from? Does it mean you can never reach back and help?

Civil rights protestors have always come under scrutiny. They dug up dirt on MLK, Malcolm X, Jesse Jackson, everyone who got in the face of wrong and tried to make it right.

How can those of us on the outside looking in tell young, black NFL players they are wrong? How can we tell them that what they say happens doesn’t really happen at all? Or if it does, it’s not as often or as bad as they say it is. Celebrity Debbie Allen was snubbed by a white salesperson in a jewelry store. Vanessa Williams was mistaken for a server at a reception after she sang for President Ford. Olympic gold medalist Al Joyner was pulled over and handcuffed twice by police looking for a hit and run driver. NFL player Michael Bennett was thrown to the floor by police who put a gun to his head. Professor Gates was arrested at his own home. The list goes on.

And just because some of the NFL players have themselves broken the law, I do not think we should ignore their protests for equal treatment under that law. I can't imagine any of them saying to Colin Kaepernick, "Would love to join you man, but I've been arrested. You're on your own." They joined him knowing the firestorm that would come and the scrutiny they would endure. Yet they joined him.

But like Jesus once said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

You mean like how the pro-white protesters in Charlottesville who committed no crimes have been demonized by the media and street violence against them justified by politicians?

I.......

Civil rights protestors have always come under scrutiny. They dug up dirt on MLK, Malcolm X, Jesse Jackson, everyone who got in the face of wrong and tried to make it right.

How can those of us on the outside looking in tell young, black NFL players they are wrong? How can we tell them that what they say happens doesn’t really happen at all? Or if it does, it’s not as often or as bad as they say it is. Celebrity Debbie Allen was snubbed by a white salesperson in a jewelry store. Vanessa Williams was mistaken for a server at a reception after she sang for President Ford. Olympic gold medalist Al Joyner was pulled over and handcuffed twice by police looking for a hit and run driver. NFL player Michael Bennett was thrown to the floor by police who put a gun to his head. Professor Gates was arrested at his own home. The list goes on........

The list of shamelessly disingenuous references goes on...

I’ve been thinking about how civil rights protests are often discussed. It seems to me that the first thing that happens is an attempt to discredit the protester himself. As if finding something negative about the individual means that he isn’t worthy of making any kind of a statement. I disagree with that. We would all be hard pressed to find a “perfect” individual on this planet to whom everyone would willingly listen.

By taking the focus off of the reason for the protest and placing it on the protester, I think we take our eye off the ball, so to speak. We act as though, if the protester were a better person, we would be more open to his message and look more closely at his cause. But I don’t think that’s true.

Because you have broken the law, does that mean you can no longer protest something you consider an injustice to certain segments of society? Because you are famous and wealthy, does that mean you can no longer protest what you consider the mistreatment of people in the community you came from? Does it mean you can never reach back and help?

How can those of us on the outside looking in tell young, black NFL players they are wrong? How can we tell them that what they say happens doesn’t really happen at all? Or if it does, it’s not as often or as bad as they say it is. Celebrity Debbie Allen was snubbed by a white salesperson in a jewelry store. Vanessa Williams was mistaken for a server at a reception after she sang for President Ford. Olympic gold medalist Al Joyner was pulled over and handcuffed twice by police looking for a hit and run driver. NFL player Michael Bennett was thrown to the floor by police who put a gun to his head. Professor Gates was arrested at his own home. The list goes on.

And just because some of the NFL players have themselves broken the law, I do not think we should ignore their protests for equal treatment under that law. I can't imagine any of them saying to Colin Kaepernick, "Would love to join you man, but I've been arrested. You're on your own." They joined him knowing the firestorm that would come and the scrutiny they would endure. Yet they joined him.

Naww... We just want to be convinced that those protesting are capable of expressing their grievance. And all too often -- the majority can not do that. Otherwise, it's a social event, street theater or place to pick up chicks.
All the 60s leaders you mentioned pass the test. NOT ONE articulate leader comes to mind for BLM..

As far as the NFL goes. We KNOW they have no credibility assessing the state of "law enforcement" in this country. Might as well go solicit opinion at a prison.. They truly need to fix their own house first. It's not a fluke of statistics. It's an actual predilection to violate the law.

You want to use your celebrity status for amplification of political speech? --- you need to NOT be a hypocrite.
The NFL is NOT a "public protest" site. It's a freaking workplace and they know it.

You mean like how the pro-white protesters in Charlottesville who committed no crimes have been demonized by the media and street violence against them justified by politicians?
Unless you know all of their names and histories, you can't really say that the pro-white protesters have never committed any crimes. Maybe they didn't that particular day. I'm not even sure about that. Seems like the guy who drove his car into a crowd was pretty criminal.

Don't know what anyone can do about the media or the politicians. They will say what they will say. We just have to decide what to believe, what is actual fact and what is opinion.

Unless you know all of their names and histories, you can't really say that the pro-white protesters have never committed any crimes. Maybe they didn't that particular day. I'm not even sure about that. Seems like the guy who drove his car into a crowd was pretty criminal.

Don't know what anyone can do about the media or the politicians. They will say what they will say. We just have to decide what to believe, what is actual fact and what is opinion.

How would you feel if after a BLM protest, a prominent Congressman tweeted that "when a movement is built on hatred of others different than you, it justifies violence"..? I'm willing to entertain the idea that BLM is not necessarily a hate group but the media doesn't even give the Charlottesville pro-white protesters the benefit of the doubt. Certainly a large percentage of the counter-protesters that day were looking to start fights but the media had a meltdown when Trump acknowledged that simple fact. Plus they treat Antifa with kid gloves even though they are a movement explicitly dedicated to violent intimidation tactics.

How would you feel if after a BLM protest, a prominent Congressman tweeted that "when a movement is built on hatred of others different than you, it justifies violence"..? I'm willing to entertain the idea that BLM is not necessarily a hate group but the media doesn't even give the Charlottesville pro-white protesters the benefit of the doubt. Certainly a large percentage of the counter-protesters that day were looking to start fights but the media had a meltdown when Trump acknowledged that simple fact. Plus they treat Antifa with kid gloves even though they are a movement explicitly dedicated to violent intimidation tactics.

And so what exactly were the whites protesting for?

Naww... We just want to be convinced that those protesting are capable of expressing their grievance. And all too often -- the majority can not do that. Otherwise, it's a social event, street theater or place to pick up chicks.
All the 60s leaders you mentioned pass the test. NOT ONE articulate leader comes to mind for BLM..

As far as the NFL goes. We KNOW they have no credibility assessing the state of "law enforcement" in this country. Might as well go solicit opinion at a prison.. They truly need to fix their own house first. It's not a fluke of statistics. It's an actual predilection to violate the law.

You want to use your celebrity status for amplification of political speech? --- you need to NOT be a hypocrite.
The NFL is NOT a "public protest" site. It's a freaking workplace and they know it.

They have the right to protest where they want to protest. Strikes have been held in workplaces.

They have expressed their grievance. What we we need to be convinced of is that you can understand it without doing what you are now.

they are protesting FOR criminals and criminality--you can DEFINITELY say that is wrong --unless you think being a criminal is good for the community....???
MBown
ASterling
KScott
ASmith
EGarner
FGray
ALL CRIMINALS

They have the right to protest where they want to protest. Strikes have been held in workplaces.

They have expressed their grievance. What we we need to be convinced of is that you can understand it without doing what you are now.
and in some of those places the workers were LEGALLY replaced [fired ]

Sounds good. But it's not reality. A protest without SPEECH and organization is actually useless. And there are limits and rules for organizing protests even in the PUBLIC space.

A "strike" is a WORK-RELATED protest and is a special case. If you have no connection for your cause to your workplace -- it's probably NOT the right venue for your outrage.

When you choose the National Anthem and Flag moment for your "protest" --- and you don't explain EXACTLY what you are protesting --- don't blame the NATION and it's people for GUESSING what your protest is about.

That's what I mean when I say it's pretty useless and counterproductive to have a protest without SPEECH and organization. Don't expect folks to "read your minds" when your pissing on the whole country..

When you choose the National Anthem and Flag moment for your "protest" --- and you don't explain EXACTLY what you are protesting --- don't blame the NATION and it's people for GUESSING what your protest is about.

That's what I mean when I say it's pretty useless and counterproductive to have a protest without SPEECH and organization. Don't expect folks to "read your minds" when your pissing on the whole country..

It's been explained. Those like you just didn't listen so instead you get misinformed by Trump. From the very beginning Kaepernick and Reid stated they were protesting against police killing unarmed backs and racial injustice. That is what the other players are protesting as well. But those who don't want to believe racism exists or want to look for anything other than racism for a reason, well, they probably didn't pay attention.

Sounds good. But it's not reality. A protest without SPEECH and organization is actually useless. And there are limits and rules for organizing protests even in the PUBLIC space.

A "strike" is a WORK-RELATED protest and is a special case. If you have no connection for your cause to your workplace -- it's probably NOT the right venue for your outrage.

What you said would make sense if, number one there had never been a message or explanation and number 2 you are allowed to protest anywhere you want as long as it's peaceful. The constitution does not say you can't hold a protest at a worksite.

It's been explained. Those like you just didn't listen so instead you get misinformed by Trump. From the very beginning Kaepernick and Reid stated they were protesting against police killing unarmed backs and racial injustice. That is what the other players are protesting as well. But those who don't want to believe racism exists or want to look for anything other than racism for a reason, well, they probably didn't pay attention.
So you admit the protesters are ignorant morons.

And so what exactly were the whites protesting for?

they were protesting against the removal of a historical monument that's been in place for almost a century, and against the radical left anti-white social justice movement that the statue removal advocates are pandering to.

That's not clear at all. Hasn't been EXPRESSED. Many report it to be a sympathy protest for the NFL treatment of Kaepernick himself. WE DON'T KNOW. And Kaepernick ruined his cred by doing press ops in a Fidel Castro tee shirt. Which just fans the speculation about it being an anti-American gesture.

When you take that road --- SPEAK... Don't resort to theatrics.

What you said would make sense if, number one there had never been a message or explanation and number 2 you are allowed to protest anywhere you want as long as it's peaceful. The constitution does not say you can't hold a protest at a worksite.

Free speech is not anarchy.. Workplace rules are supported in Civil Law. Munis may RESTRICT the time and place of protests and request adherence to restrictions. Even require permits and bonding.

As an individual in a public space, you have more leniency. But in a PRIVATE space, like a sports event or a workplace -- you're protection is balanced against the VENUE and the ownership of such..

they are protesting FOR criminals and criminality--you can DEFINITELY say that is wrong --unless you think being a criminal is good for the community....???
MBown
ASterling
KScott
ASmith
EGarner
FGray
ALL CRIMINALS

These guys were not criminals.

Forum List

Back