Beginning of the end for Japan

Hey, if you can't understand the difference between the present and speculation about the future, that's your problem.

I suppose it is. But, in reality almost all threads here deal with the future, based on present facts.

And those present facts show a huge danger for the future of Japan.

Learn to express yourself more accurately.

I think I have expressed myself well enough. I also believe you understand my stance, and yet do not want to accept it.

Your prerogative, however, I will continue to base my beliefs on the evidence. It has served me well so far.

Mark

Hey, if you can't understand the difference between the present and speculation about the future, that's your problem.

I suppose it is. But, in reality almost all threads here deal with the future, based on present facts.

I think I have expressed myself well enough.

You are wrong.

You are wrong.

Suit yourself.

Mark

You are wrong.

Suit yourself.

Your shortcoming.

You are wrong.

Suit yourself.

Your shortcoming.

Look, I am trying to be diplomatic here. If you really believe my position to be false, you should be able to provide me with proof.

Mark

I wish the Japanese well. Especially after that tsunami that took out the Fukushima power plant and caused a unforeseen meltdown. Hiroshima and Nagasaki, small potatoes. people are living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. How long is it going to take before people can live in the prefecture that Fukushima is in again? How many thousand years?

Last edited:
How long is it going to take before people can live in the prefecture that Fukushima is in again? How many thousand years?

Fukushima is a prefecture, and people live there right now.

The third largest economy in the world is still a "powerhouse," you nitwit.

If an economy is built like a house of straw, it isn't a "powerhouse". The only thing stopping Japan from falling to junk bond status is the fear of damaging the world economy.

But even that fear won't hold off reality forever.

This reduction in rating was just another sign showing us the certainty of Japans future.

Mark

40 years ago Japan was set for world dominance and buying out the Americans. Now people look at them as a society of geriatrics living in a house of cards defended by rhetorical Samurai living in self denial. However the worm can turn and Japan is too ancient and powerful a civilisation to write off so easily.

The demographic issue is key in my view. They chose robots over babies basically while resisting the immigration that has resolved other cultures labour shortages.

But another generation is rising. The threat of china will be a spur to growth and the childless will die out to be replaced by more motivated family men. Just hope this happens before it is too late

I wish the Japanese well. Especially after that tsunami that took out the Fukushima power plant and caused a unforeseen meltdown. Hiroshima and Nagasaki, small potatoes. people are living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. How long is it going to take before people can live in the prefecture that Fukushima is in again? How many thousand years?

I agree. Fuchishima is far worse then people realize. It surpassed Chernobyl in the damage done according to some experts and the half of it has yet to be told, I believe. Very tragic.

Why the Fukushima disaster is worse than Chernobyl - Asia - World - The Independent

Economic cost
Fukushima: Japan has estimated it will cost as much as £188bn to rebuild following the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis.
Chernobyl There are a number of estimates of the economic impact, but thetotal cost is thought to be about £144bn.

Safety
Fukushima: workers are allowed to operate in the crippled plant up to a dose of 250mSv (millisieverts).
Chernobyl: People exposed to 350mSv were relocated. In most countries the maximum annual dosage for a worker is 20mSv. The allowed dose for someone living close to a nuclear plant is 1mSv a year.

Death toll
Fukushima: Two workers died inside the plant. Some scientists predict that one million lives will be lost to cancer.
Chernobyl: It is difficult to say how many people died on the day of the disaster because of state security, but Greenpeace estimates that 200,000 have died from radiation-linked cancers in the 25 years since the accident.

Exclusion zone
Fukushima: Tokyo initially ordered a 20km radius exclusion zone around the plant
Chernobyl: The initial radius of the Chernobyl zone was set at 30km – 25 years later it is still largely in place.

Compensation
Fukushima: Tepco's share price has collapsed since the disaster largely because of the amount it will need to pay out, about £10,000 a person
Chernobyl: Not a lot. It has been reported that Armenian victims of the disaster were offered about £6 each in 1986

Aid
Fukushima: The UN's Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs reported bilateral aid worth $95m
Chernobyl: 12 years after the disaster, the then Ukrainian president, Leonid Kuchma, complained that his country was still waiting for international help.

Well if one were to consider the recent past of surviving a total war, which incudes two Cities destroyed by nuclear weapons, and the rest firebombed to pieces.... I would bet on there being a Japan tomorrow...

Forum List

Back