Beginner Guitar Player

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
Well sort of

I was doing pretty well teaching myself guitar last year but I had an accident and completely tore my pectoral major tendon from the bone

I had trouble holding a guitar after the injury and finally found a surgeon who would fix it That was about 6 months ago now I'm ready to start again

I just picked up my electric guitar and realized how far back I've slid (very depressing)

But my NY resolution is to practice until my fingers bleed to make up for lost time

We just moved into our new house and I finally finished setting up my study I have my music corner all set up and ready to go

I don't usually broadcast much personal stuff but I want to be held accountable for my resolution

qJJpjipr5tVogpe7_LWg27qWxRADKHqccqEyF3P8-vYYiOvaLR7RlzlTJsShce7JZZ7hnpMWdhgTrsv6KtexjSpWhIOxZCpIMGBHCZgiU4H7BlcIULjD8ENSAIoypNoPkE67JkLRFMXcjgC3vAQtHZPjuJew_Han7SfTZ3_2cpBQI-kJuT55q3y8_L-GUxvmZC9VkGWs3xhuBhQA46_NahwA1VPoljHmUuRtKRPG9TNXP54lZKME2bnRBVMe4X9a6pzJ2ySQ8AnmXXmc_KKF7c3ULToS4PX6-zn_YW_UTvm3RigRESnr167Xc6aZQoBifh-jJP-3L0CL6IIf-338quDi45129BvKiwHzEnmoxh9nRCZNly7t67Rix7PsrlZG8lhbWszPb3rUMpnLwK15kKSH207KCICvnisLCK877SxIV2g3CeDNscFhtbC2W8lUmDnodVlFUTpqahtQB0h7YQfGUh2fcawDIDnTMCX9NV0xbXmQ0f6p0kMqvST7A4MFnKgOSSpZeokMsQVMiu2Qm9XCgzNr0x-Wc0UtlTrDcdMHxpJIEKPWzrGBg_SprmqfSSoP=w1680-h945-no

I am going to suggest getting a piano keyboard also. The piano is so linear, it is easier to study theory and that theory is easily applied to stringed instrument once you learn where the notes are on the fretboard. Another thing is your guitar setup. It makes a huge difference in the playability of a stringed instrument.

Snouter wrote: Another thing is your guitar setup. It makes a huge difference in the playability of a stringed instrument.

This is very true...

... set yer action (string height off the fret) as low as you can get it...

... w/o getting 'fret buzz'...

... makes it easier to play.

Scales, scales, and more scales. Learn your scales (not sure what type of music you're into), but one of the first I tell people to learn is the A-minor pentatonic in all 5 position.

Play slowly, don't try and go fast until you're actually able to. I suggest getting a metronome and practicing to it. Play it until you can play along to it very well, then raise the BPMs.

Chords are important to know as well.

Honestly if you go on youtube you'l see a some great advice...and a lot of crap advice.

You just haven't hit that point yet where there's no turning back. There's a certain level where once players hit they never put it down, or even think about it....and TONS of people put it down before that point.

Have fun and good luck!

edit: I love the advice on playing with low action-newbies never bother to adjust their action at all. Make sure to have a technician at a music/guitar shop to adjust it though if you don't know how to (I'm assuming you don't).

Also play with the TIPS of your fingers-NOT the entire flat side. This might be a little more difficult to do at first-but over time your accuracy and speed will GREATLY improve.

Scales, are you sight reading? Might want to pick up an acoustic as well.

Forum List

Back