Begin the Soylent Green Machines: UK population must fall to 30m, says Porritt

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Last Day Watchers » Blog Archive » UK population must fall to 30m, says Porritt

JONATHON PORRITT, one of Gordon Brown’s leading green advisers, is to warn that Britain must drastically reduce its population if it is to build a sustainable society.

Porritt’s call will come at this week’s annual conference of the Optimum Population Trust (OPT), of which he is patron.

The trust will release research suggesting UK population must be cut to 30m if the country wants to feed itself sustainably.

Porritt said: “Population growth, plus economic growth, is putting the world under terrible pressure.

“Each person in Britain has far more impact on the environment than those in developing countries so cutting our population is one way to reduce that impact.”

Rapley, who formerly ran the British Antarctic Survey, said humanity was emitting the equivalent of 50 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year.

“We have to cut this by 80%, and population growth is going to make that much harder,” he said.

Such views on population have split the green movement. George Monbiot, a prominent writer on green issues, has criticised population campaigners, arguing that “relentless” economic growth is a greater threat.

Britain’s population is expected to grow from 61m now to 71m by 2031. Some politicians support a reduction.

What the fuck. :eusa_eh:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

JONATHON PORRITT, one of Gordon Brown’s leading green advisers, is to warn that Britain must drastically reduce its population if it is to build a sustainable society.

Porritt’s call will come at this week’s annual conference of the Optimum Population Trust (OPT), of which he is patron.

The trust will release research suggesting UK population must be cut to 30m if the country wants to feed itself sustainably.

Porritt said: “Population growth, plus economic growth, is putting the world under terrible pressure.

“Each person in Britain has far more impact on the environment than those in developing countries so cutting our population is one way to reduce that impact.”

Rapley, who formerly ran the British Antarctic Survey, said humanity was emitting the equivalent of 50 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere each year.

“We have to cut this by 80%, and population growth is going to make that much harder,” he said.

Such views on population have split the green movement. George Monbiot, a prominent writer on green issues, has criticised population campaigners, arguing that “relentless” economic growth is a greater threat.

Britain’s population is expected to grow from 61m now to 71m by 2031. Some politicians support a reduction.

Thoughts?

Yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwn

For someone who knows fuck all about the UK, why do you worry about it so much?

Death panels should take care of that.Don't they have those there?

Actually no. Not playing into the delusional myths of Sarah Palin for a moment, Britain has become very much like the Big Brother imagined in 1984 as I have shown throughout several threads.

Governor Santini is brought to you today by Soylent Red, and Soylent Yellow. And, new, delicious, Soylent Green: The "miracle food" of high energy plankton, gathered from the oceans of the world. Due to its enormous popularity, Soylent Green is in short supply, so remember—Tuesday is Soylent Green day...

soylent_green07.jpg

Death panels should take care of that.Don't they have those there?

Why look to the UK, check out the background of President Obama's hand picked Science Advisor:

"Obama's Science Czar Wrote Book Advocating Forced Abortions, Sterilizing Americans By Poisoning Our Drinking Water "
Ehrlich, Paul R., Anne H. Ehrlich and John P. Holdren; Ecoscience:*... - White House

"He is also one of the main engineers of the Eugenics operation going on right now. A book he authored in 1977 advocates for extreme totalitarian measures to control the population. In this book he wrote that: Women could be forced to abort their pregnancies, whether they wanted to or not. The population at large could be sterilized by infertility drugs intentionally put into the nation's drinking water or in food. Single mothers and teen mothers should have their babies seized from them against their will and given away to other couples to raise. People who "contribute to social deterioration" (i.e. undesirables) "can be required by law to exercise reproductive responsibility" -- in other words, be compelled to have abortions or be sterilized. A transnational "Planetary Regime" should assume control of the global economy and also dictate the most intimate details of Americans' lives -- using an armed international police force."

"Holdren claimed that, "if the population control measures are not initiated immediately, and effectively, all the technology man can bring to bear will not fend off the misery to come."[10] In 1973 Holdren encouraged a decline in fertility to well below replacement in the United States, because "210 million now is too many and 280 million in 2040 is likely to be much too many"[11]. Currently, the U.S. population is 306,924,000[12]. In 1977 he co-authored (with Paul R. Ehrlich and Anne H. Ehrlich) Ecoscience: Population, Resources, Environment,[13] which discussed the possible role of a wide range of solutions to overpopulation, from voluntary family planning at one extreme, to a "planetary regime" of enforced population control at the other extreme."

John Holdren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thoughts?

Yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwn

We have to worry, Colin.

Where do you suppose the Brits will send their extras? Canada?!? :rofl:

The last thing we need around here is a bunch more refugees who can't speak the language.

We have to worry, Colin.

Where do you suppose the Brits will send their extras? Canada?!? :rofl:

The last thing we need around here is a bunch more refugees who can't speak the language.

And bad hygiene. :eek: (Kidding, of course, maybe, possibly, probably.) :D

John Holdren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Awesome lies!

But before you take your cues from Glenn Beck:

PolitiFact | Glenn Beck claims science czar John Holdren proposed forced abortions and putting sterilants in the drinking water to control population

Beck's allegation has its roots in a book Holdren co-authored with Paul and Annie Ehrlich more than three decades ago called Ecoscience: Population, Resources, Environment .

Conservative bloggers have quoted the book extensively, and often out of context, to make the point that Holdren has advocated positions such as the ones Beck stated.

We obtained the book to see exactly what Holdren, then a young man, wrote (or co-wrote). The book is just over 1,000 pages, and it clearly makes that case that an explosion in population presented a grave crisis. Although it is a textbook, the authors don't shy away from presenting a point of view. As the preface states, "We have tried throughout the book to state clearly where we stand on various matters of controversy."

But in seeking to score points for a political argument, Beck seriously mischaracterizes Holdren's positions. Holdren didn't advocate those ideas then. And, when asked at a Senate confirmation hearing, Holdren said he did not support them now. We think it's irresponsible to pluck a few lines from a 1,000-page, 30-year-old textbook, and then present them out of context to dismiss Holdren's long and distinguished career. And we rate Beck's claim Pants on Fire!

Yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwn

What exactly is your problem? :eusa_eh:

No problem. Just wondering why someone who knows fuck all about Britain is so obsessed with it. Quite funny though, to watch how gullible people like you can be.

Perhaps you should stick to a subject in which you at least have a shallow depth of knowledge, rather than the thin veneer of ignorance you show on matters to do with Britain.

No problem. Just wondering why someone who knows fuck all about Britain is so obsessed with it. Quite funny though, to watch how gullible people like you can be.

Perhaps you should stick to a subject in which you at least have a shallow depth of knowledge, rather than the thin veneer of ignorance you show on matters to do with Britain.

I think your assessment of my knowledge on Britain is incorrect. I'm not obsessed with it. I merely care about what's going on in the world beyond just the United States.

Though perhaps you could explain how I have a "thin veneer of ignorance" on matters to do with Britain.

I think your assessment of my knowledge on Britain is incorrect. I'm not obsessed with it. I merely care about what's going on in the world beyond just the United States.

Though perhaps you could explain how I have a "thin veneer of ignorance" on matters to do with Britain.

Your ignorance of what it is really like here shines out like a pork sausage in a Synagogue.
It is also illustrated by the articles you select to demonstrate your misguided points. Articles that us Brits know how to evaluate before getting bent out of shape. This current article you tout is from a blog. A blog with a very definite political motive. The man you quote is a green whack job who wants to see half the world reduce its population.

Oh, and you fail to acknowledge in the OP the following key statement:

Despite these comments, however, government and Conservative spokesmen this weekend both distanced themselves from any population policy. ”

Your ignorance of what it is really like here shines out like a pork sausage in a Synagogue.
It is also illustrated by the articles you select to demonstrate your misguided points. Articles that us Brits know how to evaluate before getting bent out of shape. This current article you tout is from a blog. A blog with a very definite political motive. The man you quote is a green whack job who wants to see half the world reduce its population.

Oh, and you fail to acknowledge in the OP the following key statement:

Despite these comments, however, government and Conservative spokesmen this weekend both distanced themselves from any population policy. ”

I don't fail to acknowledge anything in the OP. I saw it. I thought the remarks made were surprising considering the person's position.

This was more about the person's comments than anything. I'm not getting "bent out of shape" about anything. I'm not sure what bug got up your ass, but I would recommend trying to get it out. You really have misunderstood my view of things I think.

New Topics

Forum List

Back