Before I go off, I want some other opinions.

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
Here is the problem My husband has our children outside shoveling the driveway. They are 8 and 6 years old. which I would not have a problem if it was a normal size driveway, however the driveway is on a steep hill and can hold up to 17 cars very easily. Now he is out helping a little along with screaming and barking orders on how it should be done. The right way! Oh hold on, no the driveway is half way done and he has left and instructed them to finish shoveling the driveway while he is gone because they just came in asking me to help them. So my question is do you think an 8 year old and 6 year old should be shoveling a large driveway by themselves?

I don't think they should have to do it alone, but I certainly don't think shoveling will kill them.. It's one of those things in life that just "have" to be done, so better to learn early it's not just going to go away..

Alone? All of it? Definitely not. Maybe the sidewalk.

Keep in mind, tho, that if they *see* you disagreeing/arguing about it with hubby, they'll catch on, and eventually probably start running to you every time he makes them do something they don't like, so..tell'm he's off his rocker later.

as a father of two ...alone... no.... help (read ..play and have fun yes)

buy a fooking snowblower and be done with it....your job is to protect your family not make them work for you

Shattered said:
I don't think they should have to do it alone, but I certainly don't think shoveling will kill them.. It's one of those things in life that just "have" to be done, so better to learn early it's not just going to go away..

Alone? All of it? Definitely not. Maybe the sidewalk.

Keep in mind, tho, that if they *see* you disagreeing/arguing about it with hubby, they'll catch on, and eventually probably start running to you every time he makes them do something they don't like, so..tell'm he's off his rocker later.

If he would go about it encourgingly (is that a word?) I wouldn't have a big problem. He just yells and barks orders.

and we don't have sidewalks.

Matter of fact the road we live on the speed limit is 50 mph.

manu1959 said:
as a father of two ...alone... no.... help (read ..play and have fun yes)

buy a fooking snowblower and be done with it....your job is to protect your family not make them work for you

I agree! I actually told him here recently, we were looking at diffrent trucks because we needed to buy a new one. I said why don't we get one with a snowplow on it? his words, That would be to much work! HUH how do figure start at the bottom of the driveway plow up 2 times and your done. HEELLLLOOO! jeez!!

khafley said:
If he would go about it encourgingly (is that a word?) I wouldn't have a big problem. He just yells and barks orders.

and we don't have sidewalks.

Matter of fact the road we live on the speed limit is 50 mph.

Encouragingly is the word you're looking for..

Oooh. One of *those* roads.. I just moved off one of those.. So, your driveway *is* your widewalk..

As stated, there's no way I'd make them do it alone. Like Manu said, it should be *fun*, while still knowing that it *needs* to be done. Wait til the kids aren't around, and tell him to stop being such a putz.

Shattered said:
Encouragingly is the word you're looking for..

Oooh. One of *those* roads.. I just moved off one of those.. So, your driveway *is* your widewalk..

As stated, there's no way I'd make them do it alone. Like Manu said, it should be *fun*, while still knowing that it *needs* to be done. Wait til the kids aren't around, and tell him to stop being such a putz.

Thank you! I thought so just spelled it wrong!

Shattered said:
How's that whole strike thing going, anyway? :)

It's actually went pretty well, I am officially not on strike anymore but will go back on strike if provoked!

Joz said:
I tho't you left this *********?

Yeah I did , then decided I was not moving my children out of their home, so we came to an agreement sort of. He does what he wants, I do want I want, within reason. Thankfully I don't see him much he works all the time. Today however was a problem.

I grew up thinking that the only reason my parents had me was to have a source of cheap labor.

It didn't kill me.

8 is plenty old to do chores. 6 - well, a bit of supervision may be in order. But if they're on your property doing your driveway seems to me that they're pretty safe.

Kids should be a functioning member of a household, not a lethargic parasite whose only function is to empty the refrigerator and throw clothes about.

Merlin1047 said:
Kids should be a functioning member of a household, not a lethargic parasite whose only function is to empty the refrigerator and throw clothes about.
Couldn't agree with you more. Children need to be taught responsibility. But I don't think you were around when Kaf posted some severe problems with this man & his family.

Joz said:
Couldn't agree with you more. Children need to be taught responsibility. But I don't think you were around when Kaf posted some severe problems with this man & his family.

True.

Chores are good things. Abuse is not. Somebody in the family has to know the difference.

I think it depends on how big they are....if they can wear the gloves and wield the shovel.....make 'em dig ya out!!!!!

...or mayb you could go lend a hand......ad supervise the kids, and your hubby!

(gotta go power up the 'lectric start snowthrower for the last ime, and blow out the neighborhood...anyone want me to come by?

Fmr jarhead said:
I think it depends on how big they are....if they can wear the gloves and wield the shovel.....make 'em dig ya out!!!!!

...or mayb you could go lend a hand......ad supervise the kids, and your hubby!

(gotta go power up the 'lectric start snowthrower for the last ime, and blow out the neighborhood...anyone want me to come by?

Where were you two weeks ago when I was shoveling at 4am so I could leave for work?

Did it all the time when I was 8 in Minn. Brother and sisters too ! We would take breaks after our hands were frozen---warm up with some chocolate and go back out. Shoveling sucked but dad was so proud of us afterwards for accomplishing so much that no reward was needed. One of the best memories I have of my dad---praising me working hard and doing a good job at it. Stuck with me !!!

Shattered said:
Where were you two weeks ago when I was shoveling at 4am so I could leave for work?

I was in San Diego, or FL, on business...give me a call next time, and I will hook you up!

Forum List

Back