Beet Bisque

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
In continuing to increase a healthier diet, I want to eat a larger variety of vegetables.
And beets is one of those additions, heavy in anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory.
I made a Beet Bisque Soup, that wasn't bad...but just not there.
Anybody else make Beet soup?

What I made...

2 large beets, roasted at 400 for 1 hour
1 TB Fennel seeds, roasted 10 min @ 300
S & P
TB or so balsamic vinegar
Tsp sugar
Blended together with milk to form a bisque.

Heat on stovetop melting in about a half of a ball of mozzarella cheese.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
In continuing to increase a healthier diet, I want to eat a larger variety of vegetables.
And beets is one of those additions, heavy in anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory.

What I made...

S & P
Tsp sugar

Try some more herbs and nix the mozzarella. Use full fat milk, if you really must go with that instead of cream or half and half.

What I made...

S & P
Tsp sugar

Try some more herbs and nix the mozzarella. Use full fat milk, if you really must go with that instead of cream or half and half.

I almost used heavy cream instead of milk, tried to add the cheese for the needed fat. I do believe that made it lose that velvety touch that cream does.
I also thought maybe adding in sage.

What I made...

S & P
Tsp sugar

I almost used heavy cream instead of milk, tried to add the cheese for the needed fat. I do believe that made it lose that velvety touch that cream does.
I love sage with root vegetables. I think that would be a keeper. And I agree about the cream, although half and half really will do the job in a bisque, if fat is a problem. You don't need a whole lot.

The other thing you could try is borscht. I've never had it but I think it's less fat than bisque.

What I made...

S & P
Tsp sugar

I love sage with root vegetables. I think that would be a keeper. And I agree about the cream, although half and half really will do the job in a bisque, if fat is a problem. You don't need a whole lot.

The other thing you could try is borscht. I've never had it but I think it's less fat than bisque.
We had borscht growing up but would always put a dollop of sour cream in it which is traditional.

What I made...

S & P
Tsp sugar

We had borscht growing up but would always put a dollop of sour cream in it which is traditional.
It has a chicken stock base, doesn't it? Did you like it? Is it sweet or spicy?

What I made...

S & P
Tsp sugar

It has a chicken stock base, doesn't it? Did you like it? Is it sweet or spicy?
Don't really remember, it's been over thirty years since since I've had any.

What I made...

S & P
Tsp sugar

I tried two variations of borscht years ago and just wasn't that impressed.
Could have been the recipes I tried.

What I made...

S & P
Tsp sugar

Couldn't tell ya, I was a kid that hadn't learned to cook anything other than hot dogs at the time........... :lol:

Couldn't tell ya, I was a kid that hadn't learned to cook anything other than hot dogs at the time........... :lol:

When you were a kid eh?.... maybe the stone bowls and wooden utensils added flavor... :D

When you were a kid eh?.... maybe the stone bowls and wooden utensils added flavor... :D
The Brontosaurus burgers were great........

Isn't this basically what borscht is? Except that borscht is properly served at room temperature.

Isn't this basically what borscht is? Except that borscht is properly served at room temperature.

Not at all... Borscht usually has meat, and is made with lots of other veggies. Basically Borscht is beef and vegetable with a heavy dose of beets..

Forum List

Back