Bees and Monarchs - WAHOO!

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Our bees made it through the winter and we can't get enough of watching them.

Memory - kid "on the farm", old fashioned rose bushes around our farmhouse. Their fragrance was different from modern day cultivars. Some of these photos look familiar. Anyway, they would be so covered with bees, it was hard to get your nose in to get a sniff. The bees didn't bother though.

We have a lot of blooming trees that are common here. Most are done blooming but still have a couple and a couple more are still due. We happened to be watching the honey bees and the big beautiful bumble bees and lo and behold - one single monarch butterfly.

We grow some milkweed but nothing blooming. I hunted for the plastic scrubber I use to make butterfly feeders, couldn't find any so ordered from Amazon. Stick around guys, help is coming.

If you don't know about easy butterfly feeders -
Make food for struggling monarch butterflies using your leftovers

Not making the one that includes beer and rum but putting out mushy bananas and watermelon.

Recipe number 3 is one I use for hummingbirds. I never thought of feeding the butterflies. It would be fun to try. There are lots of milkweeds in the grassy wild sections of my property. Happily, monarchs are a common sight here.

Forum List

Back