Been A Couple Rough Weeks For Obama

Government never defaulted? That's exactly what it is when you get inflation, makes the debt worthless to the holders of same. That's exactly what it is when you monetize that debt, as they're trying to do now. China's already talking about shutting off the spigot, and who can blame them? They've already reduced the amount of this debt they're buying.

Inflation right now is zero or negative. you really think inflation will go up that much?
I think they're counting on it.

You know, a month or two ago, the mortgage rates went up in anticipation of inflation, but now they're back down, to my delight. I don't think these rates will last.

They said we need to pass the stimulus immediately because it will take over 2 years just to get the programs set up and the money all out :lol:

NOW HURRY UP AND WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!
:rofl:

Ok its not funny, the stimulus pissed me off awful, but still. They have spent about 10% of it and its been passed for half a year.

Exactly. Now, why didn't they slow down, read the fucking bill, and have the money spent in an immediate way? Think. Next year we will start seeing that money working (so they say) and what is next year?? Election year.

NOW we see you know what spin actually is, because you just practiced it!

Show me where the 2:1 margin is, please. Here's the actual facts:

Obama, 2008 election:

States carried 28 to 22

Popular vote 69,456,897 to 59,934,814

Percentage 52.9% to 45.7%

53 % to 46% is not 2 to 1. That would be 66% to 33%.

On a side note....the media, the dems, and obama himself all say the american people gave Obama an "Overwhelming" victory with 53% of the vote. By that logic there is overwhelming dissaproval of the Health Care Reform Bill HR3200.
It was the imprecise sloppiness of "rightwinger" what was at play. He doesn't know it yet, but he was talking 2:1 in electoral votes! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's what happens when regurgitation without cogitation is practiced!

Actually, he might know it. And if he does, his bragging indicates that voters in some states are superior to others.

53 % to 46% is not 2 to 1. That would be 66% to 33%.

On a side note....the media, the dems, and obama himself all say the american people gave Obama an "Overwhelming" victory with 53% of the vote. By that logic there is overwhelming dissaproval of the Health Care Reform Bill HR3200.
It was the imprecise sloppiness of "rightwinger" what was at play. He doesn't know it yet, but he was talking 2:1 in electoral votes! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's what happens when regurgitation without cogitation is practiced!

Actually, he might know it. And if he does, his bragging indicates that voters in some states are superior to others.
I don't think he knew it when he typed it. It's just another regurgitated, spoon fed talking point. But if he's still reading, he knows it now!

Obama won by a 2:1 margin over McCain, thats a butt kicking

Obama, 2008 election:

States carried 28 to 22

Obama won 365 electoral votes to McCains 173 over a 2:1 margin.

It is you who are trying to spin things, the number of states won or popular vote means nothing in a presidential election. If you think they do, then maybe President Gore can explain it to you.

Not really truth, it's spin, but nice going there.

Why do people want to have their cake and eat it too? They DID spend money quickly and it's shown some results.

But conservatives said it was being misspent too fast and things are being ...wait for it...wait for it...spent with more controls and oversight.

I'm amazed at how you NEVER credit anyone on the other side....it's all wrongdoing. You might sound more measured, rational, and worth listening to if you didn't just offer up a knee-jerk reaction "Obama lied! Obama's bad! OMGZ!"
Really?

Provide an example of it 'working'.

Obama, 2008 election:

States carried 28 to 22

It is you who are trying to spin things, the number of states won or popular vote means nothing in a presidential election. If you think they do, then maybe President Gore can explain it to you.

since you give such credence to that statistic, I guess you think voters in some states are superior to others. kudos. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Obama, 2008 election:

States carried 28 to 22

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nice catch!

Glad we taught you something today, clearly you'll be more precise in the future!

Meanwhile, Obama squanders his "mandate" and you're perfectly okay with it!
[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=WFNlYB0sHUw]YouTube - Obama Pelosi Democrat Mandate[/ame]

I think one statistic that Republicans are going to have to address is that the only age group in which McCain won a majority was the 65+ age group. They are going to have to find a way to win this group by an even larger majority next time hoping that they all survive to the next election, or to replace some of these with younger voters.

minutiawars.jpg

I think one statistic that Republicans are going to have to address is that the only age group in which McCain won a majority was the 65+ age group. They are going to have to find a way to win this group by an even larger majority next time hoping that they all survive to the next election, or to replace some of these with younger voters.

An excellent insight, nodog.

The news reminds me of General Sherman approaching General Grant the evening of the first day of the Battle of Shiloh. The Confederates had surprised the Yankees and had run them back towad the river by the time dark fell. Sherman said, "We took a beating today." Grant replied, "We will beat them far worse tomorrow." And did.

The corporatists, neo-cons, political shari'asts of the loony far fringe, and the social values folks showed some strength the last few weeks. However, all they can do is modify health care reform to some extent but not stop it. Their weakness will be more evident this fall.

Obama, 2008 election:

States carried 28 to 22

Nice catch!

Glad we taught you something today, clearly you'll be more precise in the future!

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=WFNlYB0sHUw]YouTube - Obama Pelosi Democrat Mandate[/ame]

No catch, It was my intent all along.
The ONLY number that matters in a presidential election is electoral votes and Obama won by a 2:1 margin. Somehow, the republicans have a selective memory. When Bush won by a mere 26 electoral votes (and lost the popular vote) republicans had no problem treating it as a mandate and were quick to point out that it is ELECTORAL votes that matter in an election.

Nice catch!

No catch, It was my intent all along.
The ONLY number that matters in a presidential election is electoral votes and Obama won by a 2:1 margin. Somehow, the republicans have a selective memory. When Bush won by a mere 26 electoral votes (and lost the popular vote) republicans had no problem treating it as a mandate and were quick to point out that it is ELECTORAL votes that matter in an election.

i know what matters in an election. christ, you can win an election by winning 11 states. but it's still not a whipping unless you just consider some voters superior to others.

The corporatists, neo-cons, political shari'asts of the loony far fringe, and the social values folks showed some strength the last few weeks. However, all they can do is modify health care reform to some extent but not stop it.

If scare tactics "succeed" in denying some healthcare help for the working poor, I will be disappointed.

As I posted, the 'minutia wars' continue as the attempt to deflect off the rotten job Obama has done continues.

The market this morning had a horrible start, down 180 points in the first hour of trading, investors now believe that the end of the reccession may have been premature and we have another idiot president, this one sending out his press sec to insult protestors (who are in large part democrats who voted for Obama).

I think the last few weeks have been a wake-up call for Obama. Politics within the beltway have remained the same. Obama thought he could use his political capital to push through his healthcare plan regardless of the political oposition.
What he found was that the insurance lobby is much more powerful than he gave them credit for. The Govt option that the insurance companies fought so hard against is looking like its off the table. Looks like the insurance companies win and the American people lose.

I disagree. I think he thought he had a mandate for his slogan. Seems he overestimated what change the people want. He's not delivered on transparency and certainly not in less partisanship-remember, "We won!" 'Shut up and sit down.' Not working real well. In actuality he won 3 fewer states then GW did against Kerry, which was no 'mandate.' He's not FDR, he's not even Jimmy Carter.

He and his elitist team have seriously pissed off people that wanted him to succeed, contrary to the labeling the astro turfers have been doing. For years we heard how the world stood with us, until GW blew it. He didn't manage to do that in 7 months.

Adding in the large majorities taken in Congress, the Senate and governorships their was a massive message sent to the Republicans that we are dissatisfied with their message.
Like it or not there will be healthcare reform which has been ignored by the republicans for a generation. With the economy showing signs of recovery it is going to be a major fight for the republicans to win back anything of their massive losses.
But if the Republican party wants to stay the course, continue being "the party of no" and considers Obama to be an easy mark in 2012, go ahead. Obama has made a career of defeating those who take him lightly

LOL! He has not made any sort of career regarding being taken 'lightly.' He astro turfed his way into IL Senate, then waltzed into US Senate through the stupidity of IL GOP and Alan Keyes. He hasn't a record to speak of, other than as community organizer. On that he really accomplished little except for growing those types of organizations that are now profiting off his administration and our stimulus dollars.

Why do people want to have their cake and eat it too? They DID spend money quickly and it's shown some results.

But conservatives said it was being misspent too fast and things are being ...wait for it...wait for it...spent with more controls and oversight.

I'm amazed at how you NEVER credit anyone on the other side....it's all wrongdoing. You might sound more measured, rational, and worth listening to if you didn't just offer up a knee-jerk reaction "Obama lied! Obama's bad! OMGZ!"
Really?

Federal stimulus dollars have begun to flow, initiating an "amazing" number of projects and creating jobs, Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) said Wednesday.

romer_stim.png

Bernstein-Romer graph of the result of the stimulus
Increased employment due to the stimulus, by the Q4 = increased by 1.3 million to 3.9 million jobs
Without the stimulus: jobless rate would be 8.7 percent in Q4.
With the stimulus: unemployment lower from 0.7 percentage points to 2.1 percentage points, according to the CBO.

- Douglas Elmendorf, the Congressional Budget Office's director

That's just for starters. A lot of the naysaying from conservative analysts focuses on less than expected growth in GDP and manufacturing output fails to realize that those losses are less than they could have been, due in part to the stimulus package.

BTW, I used to do economic research and reporting for the Cato Institute and the World Bank. Doesn't make me right, of course. Just letting you know more about who this new guy on the forum is :) My claim to fame was a widely un-read paper about the Russian Hyperinflation problem of the early 90s.

Really?

romer_stim.png

Bernstein-Romer graph of the result of the stimulus
Increased employment due to the stimulus, by the Q4 = increased by 1.3 million to 3.9 million jobs
Without the stimulus: jobless rate would be 8.7 percent in Q4.
With the stimulus: unemployment lower from 0.7 percentage points to 2.1 percentage points, according to the CBO.

- Douglas Elmendorf, the Congressional Budget Office's director

That's just for starters. A lot of the naysaying from conservative analysts focuses on less than expected growth in GDP and manufacturing output fails to realize that those losses are less than they could have been, due in part to the stimulus package.

BTW, I used to do economic research and reporting for the Cato Institute and the World Bank. Doesn't make me right, of course. Just letting you know more about who this new guy on the forum is :) My claim to fame was a widely un-read paper about the Russian Hyperinflation problem of the early 90s.
Nice try, no sale.

What you posted is called spin doctoring.

The dems know it is bullshit, thus many as recently as 30 days ago proposed ANOTHER 'stimulous.'

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNeaVHQDhYM]YouTube - Dodd: Stimulus Package Not Working, Suggests The Need For Another[/ame]

and 'help' doesn't seem on the horizon:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/15/health/policy/15ground.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

August 15, 2009
Health Debate Fails to Ignite Obama’s Grass Roots

By JEFF ZELENY
MUSCATINE, Iowa — At her home on Tom Sawyer Road here the other night, Bonnie Adkins agreed to begin spreading the word that President Obama’s embattled health care plan needed help.

Ms. Adkins, who for the past two years devoted hundreds of hours helping Mr. Obama get to the White House, hosted a potluck supper that was advertised to Democrats in this eastern Iowa town along the Mississippi River. People were invited to bring a favorite salad or dessert — and their cellphones — to make calls drumming up support for the president’s agenda.

She wondered whether her house would hold everyone, but there was no reason for worry.

“We had 10 people. Not a huge number, but good,” said Ms. Adkins, 55, who has been an Obama volunteer since the first day she saw him during a stop here on March 11, 2007. “The enthusiasm is not there like it was a year ago. Most people, when they get to Nov. 5, put their political hat away and it doesn’t come out for three years.”

As the health care debate intensifies, the president is turning to his grass-roots network — the 13 million members of Organizing for America — for support.

Mr. Obama engendered such passion last year that his allies believed they were on the verge of creating a movement that could be mobilized again. But if a week’s worth of events are any measure here in Iowa, it may not be so easy to reignite the machine that overwhelmed Republicans a year ago.

More than a dozen campaign volunteers, precinct captains and team leaders from all corners of Iowa, who dedicated a large share of their time in 2007 and 2008 to Mr. Obama, said in interviews this week that they supported the president completely but were taking a break from politics and were not active members of Organizing for America.

Some said they were reluctant to talk to their neighbors about something personal and complicated like health care. And others expressed frustration at the genteel approach, asking why Democrats were not filling the town-hall-style meetings of Senator Charles E. Grassley of Iowa, the ranking Republican on the Finance Committee negotiating health care legislation, or Representative Leonard L. Boswell, a member of the moderate Blue Dog Democratic group.

“It’s a waste of time,” said Gilbert P. Sierra of Davenport, a Democrat who attended an Organizing for America meeting, where about 100 people gathered to vent frustrations and discuss how they could stand up to conservative critics. “Why spend money on this and only be talking to the choir?”...

Dems have the whip hand. Either the McCainiacs and Palinistas up the over 65 vote, or make inroads with younger voters and minorities. The first is possible, the second probably not at all.

And the Dems are going to blame all the GOP obfuscation for the very slow pace of hope for an economic recovery. We can hear them now, "The GOP really hate you, see."

Once again demographics hurt the GOP. Their bulwark, white males, make up only 1/3rd of the electorate. In a three to four presidential cycles, the Latino vote will equal that of white males alone.

The conservatives have killed Reaganism and shot themsleves in the foot.

Forum List

Back