Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
From the looks of things, not going to be looking up soon:

USATODAY.com

Poll: 57% don't see stimulus working
Skepticism presents hurdle for Obama
By Brad Heath
USA TODAY

WASHINGTON � Six months after President Obama launched a $787 billion plan to right the nation's economy, a majority of Americans think the avalanche of new federal aid has cost too much and done too little to end the recession.

A USA TODAY/Gallup Poll found 57% of adults say the stimulus package is having no impact on the economy or making it worse. Even more � 60% � doubt that the stimulus plan will help the economy in the years ahead, and only 18% say it has done anything to help improve their personal situation.

The poll Aug. 6-9 of 1,010 adults has a margin of error of +/-4% for the full sample. In a question asked of a subsample, 51% of Americans say the government should have spent less on the stimulus; 31% say the amount was "about right.'' Also, almost half in the full sample say they are "very worried" that stimulus money is being wasted.

At the rate Obama is going the Libs will be calling for his impeachment within a year. LOL

At the rate Obama is going the Libs will be calling for his impeachment within a year. LOL

They aren't thrilled with him right now:

TheHill.com - Obama picks fight with left on health reform

Obama picks fight with left on health reform
By Ian Swanson
Posted: 08/16/09 04:17 PM [ET]
In backing away from its support for a public option in healthcare reform, the Obama administration is picking a fight with the liberal wing of the Democratic party.

Liberal Democrats have insisted a public insurance option is necessary to ensure competition for private insurers. Just this week, former Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean predicted there could be Democratic primary challenges if a healthcare bill without a public option is approved by Congress.

Dean also told liberal bloggers gathered last week at the “Netroots Nation” convention that the only piece of reform left in the House bill that is worth doing is the public option.

The left wing of the Democratic party already has been irritated by concessions its leaders have made on healthcare to centrists in the House and Senate.

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) told CNN on Sunday it would be “very difficult” for her and other liberals to support legislation that does not include a public option.

“The only way we can be sure that very low-income people and persons who work for companies that don’t offer insurance have access to it, is through an option that would give the private insurance companies a little competition,” she said.

Johnson added that House liberals have already told Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) that she should insist on White House support for a public option.

Some liberals are already disappointed with positions President Barack Obama has taken since his election.

For example, Obama hasn’t moved to repeal the don’t ask, don’t tell law on gays in the military, to the dismay of some liberals. Others were upset with his decision to not release photos detailing the abuse of detainees in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Over the weekend, Valarie Jarrett, a close advisor to Obama, was hissed at and booed by some attending the Netroots Nation over the photo issue, according to a report in The Huffington Post.

Still, liberals might have a hard time dropping their support for landmark legislation reforming healthcare over the lack of a public plan, particularly if a final bill does set up co-ops. In addition, the dropping of a public option could make it easier for the bill to attract support from conservative Democrats and Republicans.

Rep. Mike Ross (Ark.), a blue dog Democrat who won several concessions for conservative Democrats in a House Energy and Commerce Committee healthcare bill approved by the panel just before the recess, said a final bill by Congress is likely to be written by the Senate Finance Committee.

“It’s probably going to have to be bipartisan in the Senate, which I think it should be, and – so I know a lot of members in my party in the House don’t want to hear this, but the reality is that what comes out of that conference report, which is what really matters, my guess is about 90 percent of it will be reflected from what’s in the Senate Finance Committee,” Ross said on CNN.

Sen. Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), a key member of Finance involved in negotiations on the panel’s bill, all but said a public option is dead in comments today on Fox.

The administration signaled its shift on the public option in comments Sunday by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and White House press secretary Robert Gibbs.

Sebelius said that what the president sees as essential is to set up competition to private insurers in the healthcare system. But she said that doesn’t have to come from a public health insurance option....

USATODAY.com

By Brad Heath
USA TODAY

WASHINGTON � Six months after President Obama launched a $787 billion plan to right the nation's economy, a majority of Americans think the avalanche of new federal aid has cost too much and done too little to end the recession.

A USA TODAY/Gallup Poll found 57% of adults say the stimulus package is having no impact on the economy or making it worse. Even more � 60% � doubt that the stimulus plan will help the economy in the years ahead, and only 18% say it has done anything to help improve their personal situation.

The poll Aug. 6-9 of 1,010 adults has a margin of error of +/-4% for the full sample. In a question asked of a subsample, 51% of Americans say the government should have spent less on the stimulus; 31% say the amount was "about right.'' Also, almost half in the full sample say they are "very worried" that stimulus money is being wasted.

as much as I enjoy watching Obama's approval going down, how long did economists say it would take for the stimulus to work?

They said we need to pass the stimulus immediately because it will take over 2 years just to get the programs set up and the money all out :lol:

NOW HURRY UP AND WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Ok its not funny, the stimulus pissed me off awful, but still. They have spent about 10% of it and its been passed for half a year.

Half the stimulus money hasn't even been spent yet, so it's amazing that the un-educated masses have made their decision already.

Is this discussion of poll numbers supposed to be comforting to conservatives? Surely you don't think this proves the merits of your positions on the healthcare debate?

No way..... He's the Messiah and they don't believe in the cross, so they have nothing to crucify him on.

Elections are a long, long way away and if there's something they've always had to bank on, it's time and the short memories of the electorate, and the ability to get the sheep back in the pen before the elections.

His poll numbers won't be a factor, even if horribly bad, when the time comes for the sheep to cast their ballots.

Half the stimulus money hasn't even been spent yet, so it's amazing that the un-educated masses have made their decision already.
But it was "urgent" and "targeted" was it not? Just like this Health Scare plan, it's all urgent and stuff, we gotta do it NOW, but lookie here -- it doesn't go into effect anyway, for a full YEAR after it's signed! Where's the urgency?

The only urgency in these bills was to quickly get them passed into law, before anyone got the chance to read and analyze them. They cannot dazzle with brilliance, so they try to baffle with bullshit, and it even worked a couple of times!

USATODAY.com

By Brad Heath
USA TODAY

as much as I enjoy watching Obama's approval going down, how long did economists say it would take for the stimulus to work?

I think the economy is recovering somewhat, don't think the stimulus is the reason however. My guess is that's what many of those polled would say if asked. More troubling is the debt that is racing forward and the borrowing from China.

Truth is the president can't make the economy rise or fall, at least up to now.

No way..... He's the Messiah and they don't believe in the cross, so they have nothing to crucify him on.

Elections are a long, long way away and if there's something they've always had to bank on, it's time and the short memories of the electorate, and the ability to get the sheep back in the pen before the elections.

His poll numbers won't be a factor, even if horribly bad, when the time comes for the sheep to cast their ballots.
I happen to think there are more moderate dems then the looney rabid left.

USATODAY.com

I think the economy is recovering somewhat, don't think the stimulus is the reason however. My guess is that's what many of those polled would say if asked. More troubling is the debt that is racing forward and the borrowing from China.

To be honest, I'm more worried about the borrowing from China than the debt itself. As of last year, 75 percent of the debt was owned by Americans. but when most of the other 25 is controlled by China, and we're talking about 10 trillion or more in total, that makes me nervous.

To be honest, I'm more worried about the borrowing from China than the debt itself. As of last year, 75 percent of the debt was owned by Americans. but when most of the other 25 is controlled by China, and we're talking about 10 trillion or more in total, that makes me nervous.

Your not alone. I believe I remember reading something about most people believe the rest of the stimulus should be stopped. I'll see if I can find that...

I happen to think there are more moderate dems then the looney rabid left.
There are. There's more moderates and independents out there than anyone. But that doesn't necessarily stop them from being loyal sheep when it comes time to cast ballots.

Yep:

FOX News Poll: Return Unused Stimulus Money to Taxpayers - Polls | AP Polls | Gallup Poll | Opinion Polls - FOXNews.com

FOX News Poll: Return Unused Stimulus Money to Taxpayers

Thursday , August 13, 2009

By Dana Blanton

ADVERTISEMENT
Like most economists, many Americans think the worst of the nation's economic troubles are in the past. The latest FOX News poll finds that 44 percent say the worst is over, up significantly from 27 percent who thought so in April.

Still, nearly half of the public (49 percent) says the worst is yet to come, down significantly from 66 percent from five months ago.

With improvements in the economy and only a fraction of the stimulus money having been spent so far, most Americans — 72 percent — say returning the unused portion of the $787 billion dollar stimulus to taxpayers would do more to boost the economy than having the government spend it. Majorities of Democrats (59 percent), Republicans (87 percent) and independents (70 percent) think the money should be returned to taxpayers.....

I think the last few weeks have been a wake-up call for Obama. Politics within the beltway have remained the same. Obama thought he could use his political capital to push through his healthcare plan regardless of the political oposition.
What he found was that the insurance lobby is much more powerful than he gave them credit for. The Govt option that the insurance companies fought so hard against is looking like its off the table. Looks like the insurance companies win and the American people lose.

And the "plan" seems to be to monetize the debt, allow inflation to make it worthless. You think China is going to tolerate that?

I think the last few weeks have been a wake-up call for Obama. Politics within the beltway have remained the same. Obama thought he could use his political capital to push through his healthcare plan regardless of the political oposition.
What he found was that the insurance lobby is much more powerful than he gave them credit for. The Govt option that the insurance companies fought so hard against is looking like its off the table. Looks like the insurance companies win and the American people lose.
Baloney.

This Congress needs NO GOP votes or support to pass anything they wish. They need only to craft legislation which is palatable to 100% of their own membership. And with this health scare plan, they haven't done that.

This inconvenient truth gets buried in all the hand-wringing and blame-shifting.

Forum List

Back