Beehives in Texas attacked, set on fire, killing half a million bees

Okay, you're right, only a third. That's still a lot to miss, isn't it? I don't like bees either up close--especially not in my car. But they are seriously important. And 90% of wild plants, which are the fodder of most insects and wild animals....it would be a terrible cave-in if all our wild plants were to vanish.

Cross-pollination helps at least 30 percent of the world's crops and 90 percent of our wild plants to thrive.2 Without bees to spread seeds, many plants—including food crops—would die off.
https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/bees.pdf

As far as food crops, flies and other types of bees can take care of the ones that need pollinators. They just aren't as commercial scale friendly delivering the best results at the least expense and who the hell would want to be around swarms of flies. I am not advocating for the destruction of anything mind you. I am just pointing out that there is a lot of mythology that comes with the honey bees as a critical critter. There are a few nuts and fruits that are highly dependent on honey bees specifically, but when was the last time you ate a quince? They are vile. As for the story in the OP, my guess is it was done by either someone within the organization with a grudge or a commercial beekeep near by who didn't want to lose business to this bee co-op group.
Yeah? When is the last time you ate lettuce? Celery? C'mon. And flies aren't attracted to flowers. They congregate on...well, you know.
I don't think it's mythology that bees are necessary for successful crops. I live in wild blueberry land, and every year they bring in hives of bees to pollinate the plants in late May/early June. We have plenty of flies. If that worked, no one would pay for bees.

You do realize you picked the two worst crops if you are trying to make a point because lettuce and celery are inedible once they go to seed? You eat them before a bee ever sees them. Mason bees do quite fine as pollinators as do bumble bees. You just want to justify the honey bee being critical because of the indoctrination fed to you by big business.
I looked up Mason bees and Honeybees, and it was informative. Thanks.
Mason bees have their drawbacks when it comes to replacing pollinators in large farms, but I guess they're working on that.

The big problem with these superfarms is they destroy habitat for pollinators and/or kill natural pollinators in their pest control programs. That a handful of chemical companies own half the world's seed production is unnerving to me. When people say, "I only plant heritage varieties...." I think "and Bayar/Monsanto owns quite a few of them too...."
Europe has found that the bee population is rising now that it has banned certain pesticides. I cannot remember the details. Hopefully, we will do so soon.

reports are that it was also lots of fun shooting those 'buffalo' herds while riding the trains running across the Prairies SSDD .

is it
When Bee lives matter more than Human lives.
Half a million bees pollinate millions of vegetables. If you took away all the bees, the human race would have no vegetables, which are our source of B vitamins without which we would not be able to function. Go to school and learn something. Then, get a life that benefits other people. :cranky:
Half a million bees pollinate millions of vegetables. If you took away all the bees, the human race would have no vegetables, which are our source of B vitamins without which we would not be able to function. Go to school and learn something. Then, get a life that benefits other people. :cranky:
is it just vegetables ?

some kids would also incinerate Spiders and ANTS with a magnifying glass SSDD . And as i said , with this featured incident in the OP . The whole only problem is the destruction of Private Property by vandals . Now , both of ya , get yerselves down to KROGERS and buy as much cabbage , lettuce , onions , kale , watermelon and cantalope as your credit card can stand and as much as your cars can carry SSDD and OldLady .
I used to shoot flies with a BB gun..I think I counted over 200 over the summer

some kids would also incinerate Spiders and ANTS with a magnifying glass SSDD . And as i said , with this featured incident in the OP . The whole only problem is the destruction of Private Property by vandals . Now , both of ya , get yerselves down to KROGERS and buy as much cabbage , lettuce , onions , kale , watermelon and cantalope as your credit card can stand and as much as your cars can carry SSDD and OldLady .
I used to shoot flies with a BB gun..I think I counted over 200 over the summer
------------------------------------------- TSK , TSK , ------- with those 'flys never being able to have widdle baby Maggots . What fly's will Eat all the 'poop' on the streets of 'nancy pelosis' dem' controlled premiere city of 'san francisco' Harmonica .

reports are that it was also lots of fun shooting those 'buffalo' herds while riding the trains running across the Prairies SSDD .

Which reports? Got a link? I suppose some of the hunters thought it was fun....deviant psychology isn't a new thing.

is it
is it just vegetables ?

No..lots of fruit cultivars also depend on bees.

--- Hunting Buffalo With Teddy Roosevelt – Legends of America --- its good that you make Request and try to learn something eh SSDD .

I don't see anything there suggesting that they thought that hunting buffalo was "fun" and no mention of killing simply for the sake of killing. The efforts to deflect from the fact that you said that such senseless killing was fun are almost as interesting as the fact that you said that it is fun.

The strategies we use to deflect inquiries into our psychology speak volumes about our psychology. It is an endlessly interesting topic.

--- Hunting Buffalo With Teddy Roosevelt – Legends of America --- its good that you make Request and try to learn something eh SSDD .

I don't see anything there suggesting that they thought that hunting buffalo was "fun" and no mention of killing simply for the sake of killing. The efforts to deflect from the fact that you said that such senseless killing was fun are almost as interesting as the fact that you said that it is fun.

The strategies we use to deflect inquiries into our psychology speak volumes about our psychology. It is an endlessly interesting topic.
------------------------ yep , it was terrible and torturous and that's why the buffalo hunters only did the hunting until the Buffalo were pretty much exterminated SSDD.

------------------------ yep , it was terrible and torturous and that's why the buffalo hunters only did the hunting until the Buffalo were pretty much exterminated SSDD.
And hunting buffalo to near extinction has exactly what to do with the fact that you find the senseless killing of bees to be fun? Like I said, your efforts to deflect from what you said or as fascinating as what you said. The question remains, why do you find the senseless killing of babies to be fun.

And hunting buffalo to near extinction has exactly what to do with the fact that you find the senseless killing of bees to be fun? Like I said, your efforts to deflect from what you said or as fascinating as what you said. The question remains, why do you find the senseless killing of babies to be fun.
-------------------------------- morning SSDD [chuckle] !!

Beautress's chastisement about being pissed at the OP is pathological in itself. It is not only ok to be pissed, it's astonishing that not everyone is pissed. The topic and the anger should be inseparable. Pollinator hives of the future should be wired, cocked, and ready for Predator-Vandals.

7 May 2019 New York Times Report Details Global Shrink in Biodiversity
'Washington -- Humans are transforming Earth's natural landscapes so dramatically that as many as one million plant and animal species are now at risk of extinction, posing a dire threat to ecosystems that people all over the world depend on for their survival, a new United Nations assessment has concluded....The full report is set to be published his year.'

-------------------------------- morning SSDD [chuckle] !!

Why say a thing about yourself that you are embarrassed to explain? Why go through such mental gymnastics in an effort to deflect from what you said about yourself? What exactly do you, personally, find "fun" about senseless killing?

Forum List

Back