Beefsteak Tomatoes!

Italian seasoning, olive oil, mozzarella, tomatoes...

Yummmmmmmmmm

Now what'n the sam hell would anyone grow'm for when they're so damned cheap at the grocery store that you can buy them only as often as you need, and not have to worry about who you can give them away to this time at the end of the season?:lol:

All the teachers in my building know how much my daughter and I love tomatoes, so they bring me sacks full of them in August and early September. She and I could go through a sack a day, and like I said, there is NOTHING better than a home grown tomato!

Store bought doesn't even come CLOSE! :eek:

You can stick two tomatoes in front of me, and I wouldn't be able to tell you which was "home" grown, and which came from a grocery store... They taste like...well... tomatoes.

This is a serious problem! Seriously!

In South Florida, tomatoes like cold nights...funny how that works. I find the yellow tomatoes do better...the bugs don't seem to like them. Currently I'm harvesting beefstake, plum and grape. Drool.

Grow 'em in pots, Edi...in your sunniest spot.

In FLA a cool night in warmer than it is here in Mainer in the hotter days.

In Maine a very warm night might be 70 degrees.

I sleep with blankets on at night in July here, often. By mid August,(when our tomatoes are starting to ripen) it's usually starting to be cold at night.

To some extent, what I', also dealing with is my land's (and this towns) mico-climate which is dominated by an ocean to the south (about a two blocks away from my house) and a mountain to the North (about a mile away)

So I have a constant breeze which keeps my land (with a half mile Nothern open exposure) cooler than most places...even most places here in Searsport.

I could buid a hothouse, of course...if I could build ANYTHING on my land, which I cannot because of Shoreland zoning restrictions.

My land is better suited to growing gingsing than tomatoes

In South Florida, tomatoes like cold nights...funny how that works. I find the yellow tomatoes do better...the bugs don't seem to like them. Currently I'm harvesting beefstake, plum and grape. Drool.

I sleep with blankets on at night in July here, often. By mid August,(when our tomatoes are starting to ripen) it's usually starting to be cold at night.

To some extent, what I', also dealing with is my land's (and this towns) mico-climate which is dominated by an ocean to the south (about a two blocks away from my house) and a mountain to the North (about a mile away)

So I have a constant breeze which keeps my land (with a half mile Nothern open exposure) cooler than most places...even most places here in Searsport.

I could buid a hothouse, of course...if I could build ANYTHING on my land, which I cannot because of Shoreland zoning restrictions.

You could just build a little wall to block the wind...or even a temporary fence covered in black plastic...and make the most of sun exposure. I think in pots they would do better, especially plastic for you since they heat up nicely in the sun.

All the teachers in my building know how much my daughter and I love tomatoes, so they bring me sacks full of them in August and early September. She and I could go through a sack a day, and like I said, there is NOTHING better than a home grown tomato!

Store bought doesn't even come CLOSE! :eek:

You can stick two tomatoes in front of me, and I wouldn't be able to tell you which was "home" grown, and which came from a grocery store... They taste like...well... tomatoes.

This is a serious problem! Seriously!

Really? Why? They're tomatoes, and while I LIKE them, I hardly see it as some major flaw in life...

You could just build a little wall to block the wind...or even a temporary fence covered in black plastic...and make the most of sun exposure. I think in pots they would do better, especially plastic for you since they heat up nicely in the sun.

Yeah a windblock helps some. that's what my 16' tall privets do for my garden..block the North wind

But in the long run the problem of getting really ripe tomatoes hereabout has to do with how cool our nights are.

50 degrees in the summer night is quite common here.

Questions:

Do I water the plants every day?

I am starting them inside the house first with this "starter kit" I bought. It came with the soil and seeds, I put a few seeds inside each soil 'pod.'

Then when they start sprouting I'm to plant them in bigger pots. Then do I put them outside?

In or out of the sun?

How do I keep the little bunnies from eating them?

How long until I get to eat them if it works this time?

Thanks!

I have 10 little plants growing inside the house, the leaves are about 2-3 inches each! I water those babies every day with a spray bottle. Not sure when I should transfer them to bigger pots, and when do I put them outside?

I'm just excited something is growing! I will be so psyched if this really works this time! :D

Questions:

Do I water the plants every day?

Nope -- they like deep watering with a few days in between.

I am starting them inside the house first with this "starter kit" I bought. It came with the soil and seeds, I put a few seeds inside each soil 'pod.'

Then when they start sprouting I'm to plant them in bigger pots. Then do I put them outside?

Make sure they get enough light, but you can move them to bigger pots about the time they have a couple sets of leaves. make sure to fertilize, though or they will run out of nutrients quickly. When you do plantthem out, you might want to give them a couple days to transitionalize first if you have been growing in low light.

How do I keep the little bunnies from eating them?
Eat the little bunnies first.

How long until I get to eat them if it works this time?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about cooking time for bunnies, but Tomatoes usually take two months or so to produce fruit.

I never fully grown or kept alive any plant inside a house. I wonder if it is the light, the air or the temperature.

You bought a starter kit?? Is that not like a used egg carton with some dirt and holes punched in the bottom for draining??

Forum List

Back