Beck’s Holocaust comments prompt Fox News meeting

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Beck’s Holocaust comments prompt Fox News meeting - Yahoo! News

Fox News host Glenn Beck is known for generating controversy on television and the radio. But some Jewish leaders recently felt Beck went too far, and they made their grievances known to Fox News chief executive Roger Ailes.
Simon Greer, chief executive of Jewish Funds for Justice, told The Upshot that when Greer approached them, Ailes and senior vice president Joel Cheatwood agreed that Beck crossed the line in comparing Greer's worldview to that of the Nazis and promised to speak with Beck about the matter. [See Update for Fox response]

Two days later, Greer said he received a handwritten letter from Beck.

Beck disagreed.
"This leads to death camps," Beck said on May 28. "A Jew, of all people, should know that. This is exactly the kind of talk that led to the death camps in Germany — put humankind and the common good first." (Listen to the clip below, via liberal watchdog Media Matters).

Greer fired back at Beck in a statement that day, writing that the top-rated 5 p.m. host "has a history of recklessly invoking Nazi Germany and the Holocaust in order to advance his political agenda."

It's true that Beck routinely brings up the Third Reich. The Washington Post's Dana Milbank, who's writing a book on Beck, recently added up the post-Obama inauguration references on Beck's Fox show to Nazis or Nazism (202), Adolf Hitler (147), fascism (193), and Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels (24).

Greer said that while he doesn't share the "same worldview with Glenn Beck and Fox News," he was impressed with the executives' response. He said that Ailes and Cheatwood agreed "that the use did cross a line."

UPDATE: Fox News has still not responded to The Upshot. But Cheatwood acknowledged later to TVNewser that there was an "honest, open, dignified meeting" with Greer. However, Cheatwood contradicted Greer's account, saying that he and Ailes did not agree that Beck crossed the line with his "death camps" comment. "We absolutely stood behind Glenn Beck 1000%," he said.

Thoughts USMB? Personally, I think Glenn Beck does overuse mentioning of the Nazis and the Holocaust to the point where it becomes cheapened due to overuse.

I wonder what the radio and television version of Godwin's Law is. :eusa_think:

Ok, not sure why all the comments to this thread were moved to a separate thread, but here's my response again...

Context matters, so throwing a number out there really doesn't mean that much. Beck has discussed the Wilson administration extensively, and referred to their use of propaganda and how that tied in with all those references.

Beck’s Holocaust comments prompt Fox News meeting - Yahoo! News

Fox News host Glenn Beck is known for generating controversy on television and the radio. But some Jewish leaders recently felt Beck went too far, and they made their grievances known to Fox News chief executive Roger Ailes.
Simon Greer, chief executive of Jewish Funds for Justice, told The Upshot that when Greer approached them, Ailes and senior vice president Joel Cheatwood agreed that Beck crossed the line in comparing Greer's worldview to that of the Nazis and promised to speak with Beck about the matter. [See Update for Fox response]

Two days later, Greer said he received a handwritten letter from Beck.

Beck disagreed.
"This leads to death camps," Beck said on May 28. "A Jew, of all people, should know that. This is exactly the kind of talk that led to the death camps in Germany — put humankind and the common good first." (Listen to the clip below, via liberal watchdog Media Matters).

Greer said that while he doesn't share the "same worldview with Glenn Beck and Fox News," he was impressed with the executives' response. He said that Ailes and Cheatwood agreed "that the use did cross a line."

UPDATE: Fox News has still not responded to The Upshot. But Cheatwood acknowledged later to TVNewser that there was an "honest, open, dignified meeting" with Greer. However, Cheatwood contradicted Greer's account, saying that he and Ailes did not agree that Beck crossed the line with his "death camps" comment. "We absolutely stood behind Glenn Beck 1000%," he said.

Thoughts USMB? Personally, I think Glenn Beck does overuse mentioning of the Nazis and the Holocaust to the point where it becomes cheapened due to overuse.

I wonder what the radio and television version of Godwin's Law is. :eusa_think:

kind of like democrats overuse of the racist charge has cheapened that term?

as a beck watcher/listener, his third reich examples are dead on if you hear them in context.

It's that darn context thing again. People don't like context. They don't like looking at the actual policies that created the situation. They just want to say "It will never happen again". And then everyone is shocked when it happens again.

I find it all very fascinating. I like understanding what happened and the whys behind it. Especially so we can avoid it again. I had no clue that the Nazi's learned their propaganda techniques from the Wilson administration. It's very eye opening to say the least.

Gee, I sure hope Fox doesn't fire Baby Huey, causing him to go on an emotional downward spiral and relapse into substance abuse which might cause his moronic followers to realize what a shitbag he really is.

Because that would break my heart.

as a beck watcher/listener, his third reich examples are dead on if you hear them in context.

True, and millions of Americans who want historical truth and how that relates to the present day progressive movement, are listening...

Gee, I sure hope Fox doesn't fire Baby Huey, causing him to go on an emotional downward spiral and relapse into substance abuse which might cause his moronic followers to realize what a shitbag he really is.

You honestly think he would be silent just if Fox fired him? He still has a radio show. He can still create his own show and broadcast it online. He can still get sponsors. You honestly think he is going away?

Does it ever bother you to know that you hate someone so much that you want them to relapse into substance abuse?

You honestly think he would be silent just if Fox fired him? He still has a radio show. He can still create his own show and broadcast it online. He can still get sponsors. You honestly think he is going away?

Does it ever bother you to know that you hate someone so much that you want them to relapse into substance abuse?

No. Beck's a douche. I am not going to sit here and be hyporcritical about how I feel about him.

No. Beck's a douche. I am not going to sit here and be hyporcritical about how I feel about him.

He represents republican, dry drunk, mormom, circus clowns perfectly. Go fox go...

You know Avatar, you're wrong.

Beck has admitted (several times, thereby breaking the 11th Tradition of AA) on his television show, that he's been clean and sober for the past 12 years.

I was a Drug and Alcohol Program Adviser for the Navy, which meant that I attended a lot of AA meetings to understand those that I was helping (and yes, AA has open meetings for non-alcoholics).

One of the things that they talked about was what is called a "dry drunk" meaning they are acting like alcoholics (egotistical, bigoted and thinking they can do no wrong), only thing is, they haven't actually drank anything yet.

They're sober, but just barely, and almost anything can knock them off the wagon. There are also 39 separate steps that occur before an alcoholic in recovery takes a drink and relapses.

From what I've seen of Beck, he's somewhere in the mid 30's, just a few short steps away from relapse.

It's not so much that GeauToHell is wishing relapse on Beck, they're just noting that he's acting like a dry drunk, and relapse ain't that far away for him.

Last edited:
I think trailer trash need entertainment too, beck provides it. Fox should show a smidgeon of class and reign him in or fire him.

If you're a History Channel watcher during Nazi Week, you'll see that his Third Reich examples are flawed and contain MANY erroneous details.

Who do you trust more for CORRECT information, the History Channel or Glen Beck?

Me? I vote History Channel, they verify their facts.

If you're a History Channel watcher during Nazi Week, you'll see that his Third Reich examples are flawed and contain MANY erroneous details.

Who do you trust more for CORRECT information, the History Channel or Glen Beck?

Me? I vote History Channel, they verify their facts.

And which facts do you find dead wrong?

RWers have a bad habit of interpreting their VIEWS as FACTS.

Hence they could believe a schmuck like Glenn Beck and refuidiate a bastion of facts like The History Channel, NYT, or any other fact-based and fact-driven source of world information.

RWers have a bad habit of interpreting their VIEWS as FACTS.

Hence they could believe a schmuck like Glenn Beck and refuidiate a bastion of facts like The History Channel, NYT, or any other fact-based and fact-driven source of world information.

And Leftists like yourself have a habit of making blanket assertions with absolutely no facts to back them up.

Forum List

Back