Beckett appeals 6-game suspension

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
NEW YORK -- Boston right-hander Josh Beckett was stunned Tuesday after receiving a six-game suspension from Major League Baseball, which determined he intentionally threw a pitch near the head of the Los Angeles Angels' Bobby Abreu last week.

Beckett, who immediately appealed the ruling, also was fined an undisclosed amount and cited for "aggressive actions" after the pitch that led to the benches clearing Sunday, according to Bob Watson, vice president for discipline in the commissioner's office.

"We were pretty shocked," Beckett said before the Red Sox's game against the Athletics in Oakland, Calif. "I think the appeal speaks for everything that we feel. I respect the job they have to do, but I don't agree."

Josh Beckett of Boston Red Sox suspended six games for pitch at Bobby Abreu's head - ESPN

I bet Red Sox fans are livid. Let these guys play ball. Brushbacks are part of the game.

I wouldn't necessarily say livid. I think he should just take the suspension. With rainouts and double headers, he and Lester can just swap their next starts.

I wouldn't necessarily say livid. I think he should just take the suspension. With rainouts and double headers, he and Lester can just swap their next starts.

i think the only reason he appealed it was to get time to figure out the best dates to be suspended.

NEW YORK -- Boston right-hander Josh Beckett was stunned Tuesday after receiving a six-game suspension from Major League Baseball, which determined he intentionally threw a pitch near the head of the Los Angeles Angels' Bobby Abreu last week.

Beckett, who immediately appealed the ruling, also was fined an undisclosed amount and cited for "aggressive actions" after the pitch that led to the benches clearing Sunday, according to Bob Watson, vice president for discipline in the commissioner's office.

"We were pretty shocked," Beckett said before the Red Sox's game against the Athletics in Oakland, Calif. "I think the appeal speaks for everything that we feel. I respect the job they have to do, but I don't agree."

Josh Beckett of Boston Red Sox suspended six games for pitch at Bobby Abreu's head - ESPN

I bet Red Sox fans are livid. Let these guys play ball. Brushbacks are part of the game.

I'm less than thrilled that they suspended him but to be honest, Beckett threw that ball at him and he threw it hard. Abreu had already stepped out of the box a bit and the ball still whizzed by his face.

You know ... I've been thinking ...

How can they suspend Beckett and not Hatcher, Soiscia, Hunter, and Speier when Beckett didn't even get ejected from the game but the latter 4 did?

Beckett should win this appeal.

Beckett's getting screwed. He didn't even hit Abreu, and also didn't even get ejected.

So where's the justification for a suspension, much less 6 games?

Kuroda and Myers didn't get ejected or suspended for doing the same exact thing in the NLCS.

Last edited:
Beckett's getting screwed. He didn't even hit Abreu, and also didn't even get ejected.

Kuroda and Myers didn't get ejected or suspended for doing the same exact thing in the NLCS.

He's going to win his appeal.

He's going to win his appeal.

I would hope so. Who's the last player to win an appeal, out of curiosity?

They almost always win, and the league shortens the suspention and lowers the fine.

JC Romero didn't win SHIT, and he didn't even break a rule. He took a supplement he bought at GNC before it was even banned. 50 fucking games for an over the counter supplement...not an illegal steroid...an over the fucking counter supplement that wasn't even on the ban list when he took it.

Now I don't think Beckett should be suspended, but what he did could very well have badly hurt another player. What Romero did wouldn't even have hurt himself, let alone anyone else. If Beckett wins, there's no reason in the world Romero should be sitting the bench for almost 1/3 of the entire season.

They almost always win, and the league shortens the suspention and lowers the fine.

JC Romero didn't win SHIT, and he didn't even break a rule. He took a supplement he bought at GNC before it was even banned. 50 fucking games for an over the counter supplement...not an illegal steroid...an over the fucking counter supplement that wasn't even on the ban list when he took it.

Now I don't think Beckett should be suspended, but what he did could very well have badly hurt another player. What Romero did wouldn't even have hurt himself, let alone anyone else. If Beckett wins, there's no reason in the world Romero should be sitting the bench for almost 1/3 of the entire season.
Drugs and roids are different from ingame stuff, which i was referring too.

The drug stuff carries automatic penalties, fighting and throwing at players is at the discression of the league.

Drugs and roids are different from ingame stuff, which i was referring too.

The drug stuff carries automatic penalties, fighting and throwing at players is at the discression of the league.

I understand your reference, I'm just trying to put it into perspective. If taking an over the counter supplement, which doesn't hurt anyone, is a mandatory 50 game suspension, then throwing at another player's head ought to at least come somewhere close to that 50 by virtue of being way more dangerous in comparison.

Likewise, if Beckett is able to win an appeal, then Romero ought to be afforded the same victory by virtue of not only being way less dangerous than throwing a fastball at someone's head, but also not even being illegal at the time of ingestion.

Forum List

Back