Beck dropped from largest market

They're just starting. It's not about the message. Conservatives have a decades long head start, and liberals have been stupid for a while in this arena. But they're wising up. You can keep thinking that there's no audience for a moderate-left program. Or even a hard left program. Election results disagree with you though.

30% of voters are hard left.
30% hard right.
40% swing.

30% of voters is a sizable number when translated to a potential audience. They've been ignored for a long time though, and haven't been turning to talk radio.

Until Sirrius and XM....and podcasts....and webcasts....and now slowly moving into the AM broadcast arena.

Common sense.

Bullshit. NPR, Walter Cronkite and their wannabes a decades start on right wing talk radio.

There was no "head start." There was no audience for left wing talk radio then or now.

If there has not been an audience for left wing talkers in the 20 years that talk radio as we know it has been around, the best years ever of talk radio, they'll never catch up.

You really don't know how or why talk radio enjoyed a rebirth, do you?

Yes, because FM radio blew music programming out of the water on the AM dial.

I've been out of radio for 20 years and I was in it twice as long as you have been.

Bullshit. NPR, Walter Cronkite and their wannabes a decades start on right wing talk radio.

There was no "head start." There was no audience for left wing talk radio then or now.

If there has not been an audience for left wing talkers in the 20 years that talk radio as we know it has been around, the best years ever of talk radio, they'll never catch up.

I've been out of radio for 20 years and I was in it twice as long as you have been.

BZZZZT.

Wrong-O.

It has to do with the fairness doctrine being done away with in the 80's. THATS why talk radio enjoyed a rebirth. Those AM signals were shit for music, but nothing could really be done with them except boring farm reports for over a decade, UNTIL the fairness doctrine was done away with.

Longevity doesn't equal knowledge or common sense. As you prove repeatedly.

Politically oriented talk radio

The United States saw dramatic growth in the popularity of talk radio during the 1990s. The repeal of the FCC's Fairness Doctrine (which had required that stations provide free air time for responses to any controversial opinions that were broadcast) in 1987 provided an opportunity for a kind of partisan programming that had not previously existed.

Talk radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BZZZZT.

Wrong-O.

It has to do with the fairness doctrine being done away with in the 80's. THATS why talk radio enjoyed a rebirth. Those AM signals were shit for music, but nothing could really be done with them except boring farm reports for over a decade, UNTIL the fairness doctrine was done away with.

Bullshit. Government forcing radio stations to put lefties on the air would not make people listen to them. They make no money because they have no audience.

How long will it take for lefties to catch up if they could not catch up in 20 years? 30 years? 40 years? Know anyone in radio who programs with those time horizons?

Oh snap! I can feel the flames from that burn all the way over here. :lol:

$got-told-chart-225.jpg

BZZZZT.

Wrong-O.

Bullshit. Government forcing radio stations to put lefties on the air would not make people listen to them. They make no money because they have no audience.

How long will it take for lefties to catch up if they could not catch up in 20 years? 30 years? 40 years? Know anyone in radio who programs with those time horizons?

Who said anything about forcing them? Thats what would ruin it again, maroon.

No one programs for lefties or righties. People program for an audience that is being underserved in their specific geographic area. They aren't ever going to program from a "national leftie perspective" like you seem to want them to. Irrelevant, stupid, and thats exactly what burnt Air America to the ground. So stop with that strawman. Ain't no one falling for it.

But once again, to say that ~30% of a population (liberals) wouldn't listen to a (liberal) talk show is stupid.

BZZZZT.

Wrong-O.

Wrong.

Gubmint forcing lefties on the radio would make the audiences snore...Like they did on Sunday mornings, during the "public service" programing that stations were forced into providing, before the repeal of the fairness doctrine.

Righties like Limpbagh were just better at exploiting (that's such and unnecessarily maligned word) the opening on the AM band.

That said, the scenario is a quite apropos metaphor for leftist/progressive "thought" (for lack of better description) in general.

Last edited:
BZZZZT.

Wrong-O.

Wrong.

Gubmint forcing lefties on the radio would make the audiences snore...Like they did on Sunday mornings, during the "public service" programing that stations were forced into providing, before the repeal of the fairness doctrine.

Righties like Limpbagh were just better at exploiting (that's such and unnecessarily maligned word) the opening on the AM band.

That said, the scenario is a quite apropos metaphor for leftist/progressive "thought" (for lack of better description) in general.

Maybe he'll listen if you word it differently.

*shrug*

Rush Limbaugh rescued a dying AM band. Lefties have had 20+ years of stations dropping music formats to gain a foot hold.

Bruce Williams, who was no ideologue, had a bigger "head start" than Rush Limbaugh, and he's faded history.

When does Ed Schultz catch Delilah?

Make a prediction, guru.

About the same time that Savage bumps off Click and Clack.

You got a point to your strawman, or do you just like to hear your gums flap?

When does Randi Rhodes bump off Savage?

I guess the national versus local thing went right over your head, huh?

Like I said, longevity doesn't equal knowledge or common sense.

Here's Mike Gallagher's vision of free speech:

I think we should round up all of these folks. Round up Joy Behar. Round up Matt Damon, who last night on MSNBC attacked George Bush and Dick Cheney. Round up Olbermann. Take the whole bunch of them and put them in a detention camp until this war is over because they’re a bunch of traitors.

ThinkProgress Talk Host Gallagher: ‘Round Up’ Olbermann, Damon, And ‘Put Them In A Detention Camp’

I think both of you are having a bit of trouble with the whole "free speech" thing.

Mike Gallagher has the right to say whatever he wants, even if what he's saying is as retarded as the above.

Just like NYCarbineer has the right to say whatever he wants. Stating "...it's a wishlist of mine. To see Beck completely off the air and irrelevant." isn't attacking free speech, it's using it.

The concept of "free speech" refers to the Government's inability to censor speech, not people voicing contrary opinions.

Gallagher was calling for the GOVERNMENT to lock people up for exercising their free speech rights.

And I don't think I ever said what you're attributing to me.

You are absolutely right, I'm sorry. The quote in question was from MarcATL. I don't know how I got it confused.

But my point is that since Gallagher isn't "the Government", and the people he said should be locked up are NOT going to be locked up, he is simply using his first amendment rights.

It's not a violation of "free speech" to call for someone to be locked up. Look at how many people on this board call for Obama to be locked up, or Julian Assange, or whatever.

About the same time that Savage bumps off Click and Clack.

You got a point to your strawman, or do you just like to hear your gums flap?

Who is the "great white hope" of left wing talkradio?

Or do we have to wait 20 more years and see?

Who is the "great white hope" of left wing talkradio?

Or do we have to wait 20 more years and see?

Don't know. There may not necessarily be one. With the wide and varying avenues for media consumption, it could just be a bubbling up effect across multiple personalities, formats, and times.

Forum List

Back