Because the Job of the Federal Government

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
Is to keep candy from kids.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/u...8Y4f/izOLCAYYNSQ&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

Federal lawmakers are considering the broadest effort ever to limit what children eat: a national ban on selling candy, sugary soda and salty, fatty food in school snack bars, vending machines and à la carte cafeteria lines.

Whether the measure, an amendment to the farm bill, can survive the convoluted politics that have bogged down that legislation in the Senate is one issue. Whether it can survive the battle among factions in the fight to improve school food is another.

Senator Tom Harkin, Democrat of Iowa and the chairman of the Agriculture Committee, has twice before introduced bills to deal with foods other than the standard school lunch, which is regulated by Department of Agriculture.

And of course our federal losers know best. Is there anything that they can keep their corrup hands out of.

Its friggin nuts... We sent cupcakes to scool on my 10 year olds birthday and we were told it was an unhealthy snack so it could not be distributed...

Its typical liberal bullshit... because there are three fat kids in a class of 25 no one can have sweets... WTF!

Its friggin nuts... We sent cupcakes to scool on my 10 year olds birthday and we were told it was an unhealthy snack so it could not be distributed...

Its typical liberal bullshit... because there are three fat kids in a class of 25 no one can have sweets... WTF!

You assume it's a "liberal" think. But here, it's our republican mayor who likes outlawing food. Ah well...

Me, I say make the kids take gym and give them back recess... they'll get thinner. *shrug*

I always thought monitoring what children ate was the responsibility of parents, but liberal teachers/professors are indoctrinating our children in public schools on how they should think, so this is just a reasonable next step.

It's easier for the lame brains in Washington to concern themselves with an issue like what our kids are eating than coming up with solutions for an astronomical national debt, outrageous trade imbalances, alternative energy sources, immigration, loss of good-paying jobs/manufacturing, etc.--you know, the kinds of problems we sent them to Washington to address. :rolleyes:

I always thought monitoring what children ate was the responsibility of parents, but liberal teachers/professors are indoctrinating our children in public schools on how they should think, so this is just a reasonable next step.

It's easier for the lame brains in Washington to concern themselves with an issue like what our kids are eating than coming up with solutions for an astronomical national debt, outrageous trade imbalances, alternative energy sources, immigration, loss of good-paying jobs/manufacturing, etc.--you know, the kinds of problems we sent them to Washington to address. :rolleyes:

Again, here it's our republican mayor.

But I do so love the partisan hacks when they start to whine instead of actually discussing what's appropriate, etc.

Again, here it's our republican mayor.

But I do so love the partisan hacks when they start to whine instead of actually discussing what's appropriate, etc.

Well, Jillian, let's hear your opinion of what is "appropriate" on this particular issue. Since your mayor is a California Republican of the liberal bent (that is, a RINO), I don't think it is at all unusual for him to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

Well, Jillian, let's hear your opinion of what is "appropriate" on this particular issue. Since your mayor is a California Republican of the liberal bent (that is, a RINO), I don't think it is at all unusual for him to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

Actually, my mayor is Michael Bloomberg. And last I heard, he was a NY'er and not from Cali. But there ya go.

I already said what I thought was appropriate. Make sure the kids have recess to run around and make sure they do gym. And parents should get their kids off their lazy butts and away from the computer and video games.

That said, no, I don't think kids should be able to buy snacks/soda at school. They should eat the lunch their parents send them or the school lunch without being able to add to it.

That answer your question?

And tell me, was Nixon a RINO? Or was he a normal repub and not like the loonies who have hijacked the party?

Hijack? You mean like the far left Liberals have done to the Democratic party? Your party forced Lieberman out and he won anyway. Don't talk about Republicans when your house is made of glass.

Hijack? You mean like the far left Liberals have done to the Democratic party? Your party forced Lieberman out and he won anyway. Don't talk about Republicans when your house is made of glass.

Lieberman isn't a dem. Or do you think Dems should all be rabid righties?

If you have something to contribute to the thread, that's cool. If not, I can't be bothered.

Again, was Nixon a RINO? And don't you think physical fitness is important for kids?

I'll wait.

A few weeks ago many were calling for tighter bans by that 'bad old government' on imported toys for our children. A key item in the action noted above is this action takes place in school, so again if the school is full of bad things, say asbestos piping, is this too the parent's responsibility. If the parents like, they can fill them with sugar as soon as they get home, but if the same parents were to turn around and sue the 'bad old government' for neglect in school which side would you be on then?

Lieberman isn't a dem. Or do you think Dems should all be rabid righties?

If you have something to contribute to the thread, that's cool. If not, I can't be bothered.

Again, was Nixon a RINO? And don't you think physical fitness is important for kids?

I'll wait.

Sure physical fitness is important for EVERYONE, not just kids. However, it is NOT the gov't business to legislate it. What's next? The Hitler Youth?

A few weeks ago many were calling for tighter bans by that 'bad old government' on imported toys for our children. A key item in the action noted above is this action takes place in school, so again if the school is full of bad things, say asbestos piping, is this too the parent's responsibility. If the parents like, they can fill them with sugar as soon as they get home, but if the same parents were to turn around and sue the 'bad old government' for neglect in school which side would you be on then?

Obviously since the school building itself is out of the parents' control and is provided by the state, THAT is the state's responsibility.

The state has slowly usurped much of parental authority while STILL holding parents accountable. Kind of hard to enforce rules when you have no power.

Sure physical fitness is important for EVERYONE, not just kids. However, it is NOT the gov't business to legislate it. What's next? The Hitler Youth?

You didn't have recess? Gym?

You were able to buy sugar and soda and garbage in school?

My answer is I did. And yes.

Schools have always provided opportunities for kids to be physically fit.

Do I think it should be legislated? Well, I just think schools shouldn't be able to sell snaks/soda. Does that take legislation? I don't know.

You didn't have recess? Gym?

You were able to buy sugar and soda and garbage in school?

My answer is I did. And yes.

Schools have always provided opportunities for kids to be physically fit.

Do I think it should be legislated? Well, I just think schools shouldn't be able to sell snaks/soda. Does that take legislation? I don't know.

Sure I had recess and gym, and yes back before the PC police got their paws in, we had soda machines and candy machines in our schools.

Prior to them putting in the soda/candy machines, we'd cut class and go to the store and get some.

I don't believe it is the place of the school to regulate what kids eat except where the school provides the meals.

About gym and recess?

Liability and psyche attacks. No running, throwing, climbing, tackling, etc. Somewhat of an exaggeration, though not at recess.

First step, if the kids live less than a mile away, walk to school. Have crossing guards at busy intersections.

I agree gym should be 5 days a week. I also think kids should be outside playing more, less time at tv/vid/computers.

Elementary schools should not sell or offer junk at lunch, kids should be able to bring birthday treats.

In jr. high/high school the 'provided lunch' should be healthy. If the kids want to buy/bring less healthy, fine. They should argue the money with their folks.

Liability and psyche attacks. No running, throwing, climbing, tackling, etc. Somewhat of an exaggeration, though not at recess.

First step, if the kids live less than a mile away, walk to school. Have crossing guards at busy intersections.

I agree gym should be 5 days a week. I also think kids should be outside playing more, less time at tv/vid/computers.

Elementary schools should not sell or offer junk at lunch, kids should be able to bring birthday treats.

In jr. high/high school the 'provided lunch' should be healthy. If the kids want to buy/bring less healthy, fine. They should argue the money with their folks.

Kids should be able to compete. It's part of life. I hate that garbage about "oh no, little johnny will feel bad if his butt gets kicked at dodgeball".

As for walking to school, that's ok if mom doesn't have to get to work after dropping off the kid. ;)

Agreed on junk food and birthday treats, as well as healthy lunches.

Ultimately, I also think it's our job to make sure they're given proper food and have enough physical activity outside of school.

I think one of the major problems is that when we were growing up, you went outside to play after school... no computers, no video games. You knocked on your friends' doors and picked them up or were picked up or met at the park. There were always a group of moms around to keep an eye on your kid and no one was going to grab him/her going down in the elevator or down the block.

Different world now... and moms let their kids stuff their faces with McDonalds.

Forum List

Back