CDZ Because of the 14th Amendment, there can be no tax on guns or bullets....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Any tax on a Right is unConstitutional......therefore any tax on firearms and ammunition is a violation of the 14th Amendment equal protection clause.....

Harper v. Virginia State Board of Elections - Wikipedia

In a 6 to 3 vote, the Court ruled in favor of Ms. Harper. The Court noted that "a state violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution whenever it makes the affluence of the voter or payment of any fee an electoral standard. Voter qualifications have no relation to wealth."

Any tax on a Right is a violation of the 14th Amendment....right?

no that isn't true.

However, I would say a case could be made that governments can't charge a fee for the "right" to own a firearm or keep one at one's home.

But charging sales tax and such that's a different matter entirely.

no that isn't true.

However, I would say a case could be made that governments can't charge a fee for the "right" to own a firearm or keep one at one's home.

A Sales Tax would be different in that it would apply to all goods sold.....what a Poll Tax on guns would look like is exactly what these states are doing...special taxes on guns and ammo outside of the normal sales tax..

If a state couldn't levy a tax on guns outside of a sales tax, it would limit their ability to raise the taxes on guns without having to raise taxes on every other item...

no that isn't true.

A Sales Tax would be different in that it would apply to all goods sold.....what a Poll Tax on guns would look like is exactly what these states are doing...special taxes on guns and ammo outside of the normal sales tax..

If a state couldn't levy a tax on guns outside of a sales tax, it would limit their ability to raise the taxes on guns without having to raise taxes on every other item...

I fully agree. I thought you were implying that guns should be exempt from sales tax.

This is just another situation where liberals are neither honest nor logical.

"You can't require ID to vote, that disenfranchises poor people" um pretty sure you have to show ID to buy a gun , from a dealer I mean.

and here

"you can't have a poll tax to vote, that disenfranchises people, but hey if NYC wants to charge citizens $500 a year to let them own a gun, that's ok"

Please someone tell this to Washington state...….

Washington state Supreme Court upholds Seattle gun tax

One of the reasons I posted this thread...... the gun Rights groups need to pursue this....as should individual citizens....a Poll Tax on the Right to keep and Bear arms is unConstitutional......

Why are you calling it a poll tax? I don't think you understand what a poll tax is.

The concept is the same..... a Poll Tax was a tax on the Right to vote to keep Blacks and poor whites from voting....a tax on guns is the same dynamic...it keeps the poor from being able to exercise their Right to own and carry guns by making it too expensive to buy them and carry them...

One of the reasons I posted this thread...... the gun Rights groups need to pursue this....as should individual citizens....a Poll Tax on the Right to keep and Bear arms is unConstitutional......

Why are you calling it a poll tax? I don't think you understand what a poll tax is.

The concept is the same..... a Poll Tax was a tax on the Right to vote to keep Blacks and poor whites from voting....a tax on guns is the same dynamic...it keeps the poor from being able to exercise their Right to own and carry guns by making it too expensive to buy them and carry them...

Sorry! Calling it a poll tax. which has a specific definition, is simply wrong on your part.

Sorry! Calling it a poll tax. which has a specific definition, is simply wrong on your part.

No..it isn't....it describes the intent of the tax.....a tax imposed to prevent the exercise of a Right, which was also covered in Murdock v. Pennsylvania....a tax cannot be imposed on a Right........

No..it isn't....it describes the intent of the tax.....a tax imposed to prevent the exercise of a Right, which was also covered in Murdock v. Pennsylvania....a tax cannot be imposed on a Right........

Calling it a poll tax indicates voting. Using your logic, or lack thereof, we should call it a religious tax because that has a much to do with gins as a poll tax.

I am sorry you cannot see the ridiculousness of your argument.

Calling it a poll tax indicates voting. Using your logic, or lack thereof, we should call it a religious tax because that has a much to do with gins as a poll tax.

Calling it a Poll Tax also brings in the fact that the democrats created the Poll Tax, and it is the democrats who also want to use taxation to attack gun rights...

Calling it a Poll Tax also brings in the fact that the democrats created the Poll Tax, and it is the democrats who also want to use taxation to attack gun rights...

That's some pretty weak argument you have there. Let's call it Social Security tax since the Dems invented that too!

Again, you are out to lunch on this one.

I respect your opinions about 99% of the time, but this one is so far off track it is hilarious!

That's some pretty weak argument you have there. Let's call it Social Security tax since the Dems invented that too!

I respect your opinions about 99% of the time, but this one is so far off track it is hilarious!

No, it isn't. If the anti gunners say tax guns to provide money to research gun crime or to provide medical care, they are lying...and uninformed people don't understand the real reason for the tax. You call it a Poll Tax, and that shows exactly what they are doing.....they want to increase the cost, at all levels, for owning and carrying a gun, to put them out of reach of as many people as they possibly can..... describing the tax as a Poll Tax highlights the reason for the gun tax....

No, it isn't. If the anti gunners say tax guns to provide money to research gun crime or to provide medical care, they are lying...and uninformed people don't understand the real reason for the tax. You call it a Poll Tax, and that shows exactly what they are doing.....they want to increase the cost, at all levels, for owning and carrying a gun, to put them out of reach of as many people as they possibly can..... describing the tax as a Poll Tax highlights the reason for the gun tax....

For about the 10th time, a poll tax concerns VOTING, not the right to keep and bear arms. I suggest you take a step back and realize how truly dumb your argument sounds. Try explaining it to another adult and see if they aren't confused beyond belief by your ridiculous adoption of an unrelated term.

Last edited:

For about the 1oth time, a poll tax concerns VOTING, not the right to keep and bear arms. I suggest you take a step back and realize how truly dumb your argument sounds. Try explaining it to another adult and see if they aren't confused beyond belief by your ridiculous adoption of an unrelated term.

A Poll Tax is a tax on the Right to vote.....calling taxes on Guns, Poll Taxes, gets the message across, it is a tax on the Right to own guns....

For about the 1oth time, a poll tax concerns VOTING, not the right to keep and bear arms. I suggest you take a step back and realize how truly dumb your argument sounds. Try explaining it to another adult and see if they aren't confused beyond belief by your ridiculous adoption of an unrelated term.

A Poll Tax is a tax on the Right to vote.....calling taxes on Guns, Poll Taxes, gets the message across, it is a tax on the Right to own guns....

I suggest remedial education for you. I taught the subject for many years. You would get the question wrong on the test. Using a term that is completely unrelated is wrong.

Why are you arguing such a silly point? A poll tax is a tax on going to a voting poll. Words have meanings. Taxes on guns are not polling taxes, and I 100% agree with you on the position you take in terms of taxing gun owners for exercising their right to own guns, it should be unconstitional

Why are you arguing such a silly point? A poll tax is a tax on going to a voting poll. Words have meanings. Taxes on guns are not polling taxes, and I 100% agree with you on the position you take in terms of taxing gun owners for exercising their right to own guns, it should be unconstitutional

He just doesn't seem to get the fact that his message is accurate, but his flawed in it's construction.

Forum List

Back