Beavers Hate Nature

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
ECO WARRIORS SNITCH ON BEAVERS FOR 'ILLEGAL LOGGING'

GREEN campaigners called police after discovering an illegal logging site in a nature reserve – only to find the culprits were a gang of beavers.

Environmentalists found 20 neatly stacked tree trunks and others marked with notches for felling at a beauty-spot in Subkowy, northern Poland.

But when officers followed a trail left by a tree which had been dragged away, they found a beaver dam right across the river as reported by the Austrian Times.

A police spokesman said: "The campaigners are feeling pretty stupid. There's nothing more natural than a beaver."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/74932/...llegal-logging-

Beavers, chainsaws. What's the difference?

A police spokesman said: "The campaigners are feeling pretty stupid. There's nothing more natural than a beaver."

I had to log in to say:

Do you think he got a woody?

When I worked at this park this stupid girl tried to save a sick beaver, well it bit her and the thing was sick with rabies!

we have some beavers that damned the Brook by our house and also built an igloo type hut out of trees about 25 yards behind the dammed area where they feed, on the edge of the brook!!!!

DSCF2905.jpg

DSCF2910.jpg

DSCF2911.jpg

the whole area to the left, floods in heavy rain because of those pesky critters!

i am tempted to put a fishing pole in that area behind the damn though...saw a show that said that's why the Beavers dam, to block the fish going down river in to one small area for good eating! :)

Care

Care Honey, I hope you realize just how LUCKY you are to live surrounded by all that beauty of nature. I'm so jealous I could cry, I would be in Heaven every day to have that splendor.

I would have loved to watch those beavers build that dam!

That is cool!

I just LOVE the nature we get to experience here! Every day, well at least every day from april 1st through maybe November 15th, was an adventure! And on my daily walk through the backwoods or on the main winding road, I would make certain to bring my camera because i never knew what amazing thing I would see in Nature, when exploring!

I tell ya, the people born here, may take this nature for granted, but I sure DON'T! It's just amazing to me, I enjoy witnessing every minute of it and wish we had moved here 20 years ago!

Care

Care Honey, I hope you realize just how LUCKY you are to live surrounded by all that beauty of nature. I'm so jealous I could cry, I would be in Heaven every day to have that splendor.

I would have loved to watch those beavers build that dam!
Yes I do appreciate it, Echo!

And we may not have been blessed with Children, but we certainly have been blessed in many other ways, is how I look at it, and THIS is certainly one of them!

I just love it here, I really, really do!

(Of course, my parents who are in Florida, and getting up there in years, are not too happy at all with this and the 1700 miles between us, though my older sis lives right next door to them! And that does weigh heavily on my heart and soul....so, i might have to leave this glorious place, sooner than we would like.... :( )

we have some beavers that damned the Brook by our house and also built an igloo type hut out of trees about 25 yards behind the dammed area where they feed, on the edge of the brook!!!!

DSCF2905.jpg

DSCF2910.jpg

DSCF2911.jpg

the whole area to the left, floods in heavy rain because of those pesky critters!

i am tempted to put a fishing pole in that area behind the damn though...saw a show that said that's why the Beavers dam, to block the fish going down river in to one small area for good eating! :)

Care

Beavers are herbavores. They don't eat the fish. However, do certainly do create some wonderful fishing holes. I suggest you make up for their lack of sense.

Beavers are herbavores. They don't eat the fish. However, do certainly do create some wonderful fishing holes. I suggest you make up for their lack of sense.

i thought it said that was why they built the dams? wrong, huh? then why do they build the dams? was it so they could build that igloo shaped nest over water, and be safer from predators and it was the bears that were the ones that fed on the fish?

it was cool to see regardless!

They build dams to back up water, which then supports the small trees and other food that they eat. There are many areas in the Rockies, that when the mountain men first came, they described the grass as being horse belly high in late June. Today, for most of these valleys, that is not true today. However, I saw an are in South Park where the beaver had come back, and it went from small clumps of scrubby grass to grass nearly four foot high when I was there in July. The time period between visits was five years.

Another effect the beaver had was the charging of aquifers. By holding the water back at the head waters, they allowed the water from the snowmelt to go vertical, instead of horizontal and down the river. This created many springs at lower altitudes that are not present today. These springs supported vegitation, which supported a richer variety of wildlife than exists there today. All in all, the beaver is a very useful animal. Until, of course, when he backs the water up into your house, or proceeds to eat all your favorite shrubs! LOL

They build dams to back up water, which then supports the small trees and other food that they eat. There are many areas in the Rockies, that when the mountain men first came, they described the grass as being horse belly high in late June. Today, for most of these valleys, that is not true today. However, I saw an are in South Park where the beaver had come back, and it went from small clumps of scrubby grass to grass nearly four foot high when I was there in July. The time period between visits was five years.

Another effect the beaver had was the charging of aquifers. By holding the water back at the head waters, they allowed the water from the snowmelt to go vertical, instead of horizontal and down the river. This created many springs at lower altitudes that are not present today. These springs supported vegitation, which supported a richer variety of wildlife than exists there today. All in all, the beaver is a very useful animal. Until, of course, when he backs the water up into your house, or proceeds to eat all your favorite shrubs! LOL

I have been taking pictures since we got here, nearly 2 years ago. I have pictures where you can hardly see the top of the damn because the rain was so heavy and the brook was running high...the mud and branch home that they made that looks like a stick igloo has gotten larger and larger as time goes on...it is really really big now....I am so surprised they survived last winter....it was a very, very harsh winter, even for here and just so cold I had read we lost 1/3 of our deer population over the winter, but we still had alot born in the spring to replace them...

Anyway, instead, it looks like the Beavers have a bigger home than ever before, so their family size must be increasing is what i thought? Though it could be that they just said to themselves, "no way will we be caught in another cold winter like last winter again, and just made the home bigger for insulation purposes....

I'm speculating on all of this...still haven't seen a one of them!

the low side of their damn is a Christmas tree farm and a corner of his property definately gets flooded from these critters, it mostly has really tall grass...like a marsh land area that is dry for several months during the summer.

The other side of the dam is all woods.

We have a beaver in the pond behind our house. It's damned up the back. We have a storm coming through here tonight so I came home from work early to knock a hole in the damn. The problem is that I knocked a hole yesterday and by this morning, that frackin' water rodent had built it up again!

We have a beaver in the pond behind our house. It's damned up the back. We have a storm coming through here tonight so I came home from work early to knock a hole in the damn. The problem is that I knocked a hole yesterday and by this morning, that frackin' water rodent had built it up again!

LOL! Ever hear the term, busy as a beaver? They are indeed industrious little rodents. One of natures originals.

Forum List

Back