Beauty Pagents Are Bad For People

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Yanno, beauty pagents, from Miss America to Cutest Toddler, are creepy to me. This idea that we need to rank girls on their appearance is so anti-human.

What do you say? Do they do any good at all?

Yanno, beauty pagents, from Miss America to Cutest Toddler, are creepy to me. This idea that we need to rank girls on their appearance is so anti-human.

It gives a hell of a lot of good looking women something to do.

I think that Image-based "stuff" like Music, Movies, Pageants, etc. have both positive and negative effects.

The positive is that it gives *some* a greater desire to improve upon their own image, in a keep up with the Jones' type of way, and *some* are healthier all-around for it. As opposed to fat being the new "in," for these mediums, and adding further to our Nation's obesity issues.

The negatives are obvious. Self esteem issues, eating disorders, etc

I was down the Jersey shore last week. Went to Sunset Beach in West Cape May. Miss New Jersey was there, wearing her pretty crown and sash. My kids so didn't care. The oldest balked and said no way would she ever do that, thought it was degrading blah, blah, blah. I said 'yeah, she's degraded all the scholarship way to the bank'. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with the Miss America type stuff, they're adults after all, but that Toddlers and Tiara stuff? Weird.

Did you ever watch Toddlers and Tiaras on TLC? My 13 year old likes it. Strange, strange world. Is that something that is mostly popular in the south? It seems to me that the parents, mostly the moms, are the ones who are in to it. I find it rather bizarro.

okay a friend of mine's little one...wanted to do a local pagent...so off they went...no new dress...picked one out of the closet....no make up... no real styling of the hair....to make a long story short...the kidlet wins.. we teased the father that now it would be the glam pagents with full make up and spray tan ..father is cheap and we all know it.....kidlet has never ask to do another one...so we think her beauty pagent days are behind her....

you are right about this being big in the south...dont ask me why but fat moms and gay men does a pagent make...i watch toddlers and tiars and little miss perfect....i am addicted to the mal....issues man i got some of them lol...but i digress...families spending 35 to 40 k on pagents a year and living in trailors...and someone wonders whats wrong with that picture...

My Mom used to enter me into them when I was little, I hated them. Too much pressure for a little girl, and the wrong kind of message as to what really matters in life. I think they are a sad reflection on society as a whole

Beauty Pageants are "bad" for people?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzdKPUng5kk]YouTube - Sarah Palin's Swimsuit Runway Walk[/ame]

Forum List

Back