Beauty and the Beast

Neser Boha

upgrade your gray matter
Mar 4, 2009
Nordic Bayou
First off... I am not totally hundred percent comfortable to even write about this. Mainly because it does sound a bit silly. Secondly, it is not something I spend a long time thinking about, however, after watching Margaret Cho's stand up, this issue popped up in my mind and I decided to create a little post about this topic because I am very interested in what y'all have to say about that.

In my 9 years that I spent in Atlanta, GA - with a few trips to other states and cities of America, I haven't seen as many 'ugly/not-very-good-looking girl and a hot guy' couples as I have here in Sweden. I know how silly this sounds. But truly, according to what I see on a daily basis here (bus, subway, train, sidewalk, restaurants) it really seems that in this country, men are not as obsessed with what a woman looks like as they are in the US (or at least the ATL)!!! My boyfriend's brother is marrying a girl that is definitely overweight, his other friend has a girlfriend that though very sweet has not been gifted with either a nice body or a pleasant face, another one of his friends has a pretty girlfriend, but she's also rather heavy... and all three of those guys are freakin' smokin' HOT (like almost model hot). I love all the three girls I just spoke about - they have all amazing personalities and are just sweethearts - and that brings me to the REAL point - are Swedish men more interested in the personality of a girl rather than her tits-and-ass in comparison to their US counterparts (especially in ATL)? Or am I seeing things?

I came up only with a couple of reasons why this might be which you should feel free to disprove:
1. there are so many extremely hot looking girls here, that the meaning of beauty gets rather 'dissolved';
2. Sweden is a feminist/egalitarian heaven where women really are much more equal to men than probably anywhere else on Earth;
3. since nudity is not a taboo here and there are quite revealing commercials everywhere, nudity and beauty have stopped being such a magnet that everyone gets hung up on.

:eusa_eh:

Last edited:
First off... I am not totally hundred percent comfortable to even write about this. Mainly because it does sound a bit silly. Secondly, it is not something I spend a long time thinking about, however, after watching Margaret Cho's stand up, this issue popped up in my mind and I decided to create a little post about this topic because I am very interested in what y'all have to say about that.

In my 9 years that I spent in Atlanta, GA - with a few trips to other states and cities of America, I haven't seen as many 'ugly/not-very-good-looking girl and a hot guy' couples as I have here in Sweden. I know how silly this sounds. But truly, according to what I see on a daily basis here (bus, subway, train, sidewalk, restaurants) it really seems that in this country, men are not as obsessed with what a woman looks like as they are in the US (or at least the ATL)!!! My boyfriend's brother is marrying a girl that is definitely overweight, his other friend has a girlfriend that though very sweet has not been gifted with either a nice body or a pleasant face, another one of his friends has a pretty girlfriend, but she's also rather heavy... and all three of those guys are freakin' smokin' HOT (like almost model hot). I love all the three girls I just spoke about - they have all amazing personalities and are just sweethearts - and that brings me to the REAL point - are Swedish men more interested in the personality of a girl rather than her tits-and-ass in comparison to their US counterparts (especially in ATL)? Or am I seeing things?

I came up only with a couple of reasons why this might be which you should feel free to disprove:
1. there are so many extremely hot looking girls here, that the meaning of beauty gets rather 'dissolved';
2. Sweden is a feminist/egalitarian heaven where women really are much more equal to men than probably anywhere else on Earth;
3. since nudity is not a taboo here and there are quite revealing commercials everywhere, nudity and beauty have stopped being such a magnet that everyone gets hung up on.

:eusa_eh:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7BmrewitiA]YouTube - If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life - with Gant.[/ame]

If she's sweet and has a good heart, a woman can look like a sack of shit as far as I'm concerned.

another reason may be its dark/very cold for a longer period of time there. women wear more clothes, not much to do but indoor sports, etc. also the men could be "practical" in that yes these women are overweight/unattractive traditionally, but they may come from families that are intelligent or athletic. in other words the men are thinking in terms of genetics and his kids.

as a side note I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I know my friends and I have talked about dating/impregnating certain girls to ensure a pro athlete.

It's this simple...Swedes have a different standard.

Besides, when the guys look that great, why should they go any further than the mirror for eye-candy???

Interesting topic.

I think you are missing a point here. What guys think of as hot is generally to the plus side of healthy. T and A are valued highly as they show physical strength and child rearing capacity.

So a guy evaluating a long term relationship is looking long term anyway. So personality counts for a lot, as does general health.

What is the divorce rate in Sweden vs here? Are you at a college where relationships are shorter term anyway? Short term relationships have short term evaluations.

Forum List

Back