Bears and Bees

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Driving through the valley that leads out to our peninsula, I was stunned to see what looked like a bear on the hill across from the meadow. I keep telling myself that's impossible, that I could not have seen a bear but damn, it was a plain as day.

There are stands of trees on all the hills and I saw him lumbering across a clearing and then disappear into the trees.

I did some research and bears have been sighted in this area pretty regularly. Needless to say, we're keeping quiet about our sighting. The last thing we need are more idiots crawling all over the area with guns.

A bear. Wow.

And another wow is that we have bees. We first noticed them about a week ago on the blooming trees so we baited our hive and yesterday, we saw bees coming and going from our hive.

Last edited:
we have bears....black bears....no issue really they are shy and stay away from humans unless there is trash...then they are pests you have to have bear proof trash containers...

I heard or read that no matter where you are in the US, you are never very far away from a bear. I'm skeptical of that but I'm very certain of what I saw.

We have bobcats here as well. When I lived outside Tucson, bobcats were very common. I've seen them right in the middle of the city of Tucson too. But here, we don't see them very often.

Our place is in a very remote and rural area. There are other houses within a few miles but most around the lake are vacation homes and empty most of the year.

We have lots of raccoons, skunks, possums, armadillos so we don't put out our trash until the morning its picked up.

I live 2 blocks from Main St, and it's not unusual to see a bear in my back yard about once a month.

SUNP0361.JPG

bear encounters are really rare ....mostly when you are hiking about..and suddenly there is a bear....a lone bear will normally just watch you.....female with cubs...is just one of those ....o fuck moments.....best to make noise when hiking...or be take a slow runner with you....since i am the slow runner i tend to pay more attention to bears....we have an extensive electric fence around the bee yard

I live 2 blocks from Main St, and it's not unusual to see a bear in my back yard about once a month.

View attachment 67566

Wowsa. Did you take that photo in your own yard?

Yes, I have 2 trail cameras in my back yard.

Last week, lots of deer, couple of ground hogs, and a fox bringing home breakfast, (squirrel)

View attachment 67569

WillHaftawaite

Your cameras - Are they motion-activated?

We've been talking about getting trail cameras. Do you have any thoughts or recommendations?

TIA

View attachment 67566

Wowsa. Did you take that photo in your own yard?

Yes, I have 2 trail cameras in my back yard.

Last week, lots of deer, couple of ground hogs, and a fox bringing home breakfast, (squirrel)

View attachment 67569

WillHaftawaite

Your cameras - Are they motion-activated?

We've been talking about getting trail cameras. Do you have any thoughts or recommendations?

TIA

Motion activated,
Make sure it works at night
SD card is separate, depending on how often you plan to check it, a 16 would be good. If you have a lot of traffic, or only check it once or twice a month, get a 32.

I went camping this past Saturday on the family property.

Drinking a beer and eating chicken next to the campfire, I looked up toward the night sky.

At about 8:55 pm.......9:00 pm ; about that time , I seen three satellites in the north-east or east-north-east > and about 25 degrees above the horizon.

All three satellites were within about 3 to 4 minutes of each other. Actually it might have been two satellites and a Iridium Flair.

Near the top left of the screen :

Shadow 355

Forum List

Back