BBQ: Smoking brisket today

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Smoking a 6 pound brisket today on the Weber kettle grill.

IMAG0009.jpg

I'm getting a late start, so I may finish this up in the oven :)eusa_shhh:), we'll see.

Starting with a 6 lb brisket, I trimmed the fat cap (fat on top) to 1/4 of an inch and applied the rub (below) to all sides, covered it and put it in the fridge over night.

I took it out this morning to allow it to reach room temperature inside and out before smoking.

The Rub:

3 tbsp Chili powder
1 tbsp Coarse salt
2 tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Brown sugar
2 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Dried oregano
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper

Looks fab.

Your rub is very similar to what we used on a few slabs of ribs on Sunday.

Enjoy!

Marinate in buttermilk for a minimum of 12 hours before applying seasoning.Go 12 more, with seasonings, before hitting the smoker.
I learned dat in uh 1972 Field and Stream ragazine.
That was when uh-murka still had the "A"

Marinate in buttermilk for a minimum of 12 hours before applying seasoning.Go 12 more, with seasonings, before hitting the smoker.

Ok, got the wood chips soaking for an hour.

IMAG0010.jpg

Set up the grill for indirect smoking, that's cheap apple juice from Dollar General next to the charcoal basket. The juice pan is tall, to block direct heat from the charcoal.

IMAG0012.jpg

Fire up 17 briquettes in the chimney. I use my Weber Smokey Joe table top grill to hold the chimney.

IMAG0011.jpg

Time to mix the mop...1 cup beer, 1 cup distilled vinegar, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp garlic powder and 1 tsp black pepper.

Smoke at 210 to 270 degrees mopping and adding soaked wood chips every hour. Every 60 minutes or so, start 10 briquettes in the chimney...after 20 minutes they should be white and ashy. Add to charcoal basket (or, if you don't have a basket, you can just pile them to one side) to maintain your 210 to 270 degree temperature.

Half way done after five hours:

IMAG0016.jpg

He ain't cooking goat. Or is this your recipe for Costa Rican Roadkill?

What's your normal cooking time if you were to keep it on the Webber?
Also are you using hickory chips for smoke?

Roughly 1 hour 20 minutes per pound, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

Figure I started this brisket about 2:30 and I just pulled it off the grill and put in a 250 degree oven, so approximately seven hours so far.

The internal temperature was 145 degrees, so I reckon it will take another 2.5 to 3 hours to reach 190 degrees internally, and that's almost exactly what I expected...10 hours for 6+ pounds.

On the wood chips, I use a lot of hickory, but today I am trying a blend of Sassafras, hickory, wild cherry and apple. I also like oak and pecan.

Here's a link to my local smoker chip and chunk packager...tonight I'm using the Gourmet Blend. Each of these will give you a different taste.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back