#BBCtrending: Why some Arabs are rejecting Sharia law

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I would imagine many of the Islamic clergy would be against having Sharia Law abandoned..

24 November 2014 Last updated at 19:28 ET

• #BBCtrending: Why some Arabs are rejecting Sharia law
_73556281_bylinewhite.jpg
By BBC TrendingWhat's popular and why
_79238554_107047734.jpg

• A growing social media conversation in Arabic is calling for the implementation of Sharia, or Islamic religious law, to be abandoned.

Discussing religious law is a sensitive topic in many Muslim countries. But on Twitter, a hashtag which translates as "why we reject Sharia" has been used 5,000 times in 24 hours. The conversation is mainly taking place in Saudi Arabia and Egypt. The debate is about whether religious law is suitable for the needs of Arab countries and modern legal systems.

Dr Alyaa Gad, an Egyptian doctor living in Switzerland, started the hashtag. "I have nothing against religion," she tells BBC Trending, but says she is against "using it as a political system". Political Islamists often call for legal systems to be reformed to be consistent with Sharia principles, and some want harsh interpretations of criminal punishments to be implemented. Dr Gad says she is worried about young people adopting the extremes of this kind of thinking. "You see it everywhere now, the Islamic State is spreading mentally as well as physically" she told BBC Trending.

Continue reading at:

BBC News - BBCtrending Why some Arabs are rejecting Sharia law?

Good luck to her and them. but to be fair Sharia gets a lot of bad press and this passage in the article is a reasonably objective analysis:

"...However a large proportion of those tweeting were less critical. They argued that the problem was not religious law per se, but a flawed understanding and interpretation of it. An Egyptian living in Bahrain tweeted: "There has never been anything wrong with Sharia, but it's how we implement it". Another Egyptian commented: "There is no singular understanding of Sharia. The Muslim Brotherhood have one understanding, the Salafis have another and so do IS, Boko Haram and Al-Qaeda".

The last highlighted quote is the core of the problem. We've had Jewish courts following Jewish religious law in the UK for decades without any fuss or bother, so it's quite possible for two legal systems to co-exist, so long as the law of the land, decided by a legitimate and secular govermnent, remains supreme.

Good luck to her and them. but to be fair Sharia gets a lot of bad press and this passage in the article is a reasonably objective analysis:

"...However a large proportion of those tweeting were less critical. They argued that the problem was not religious law per se, but a flawed understanding and interpretation of it. An Egyptian living in Bahrain tweeted: "There has never been anything wrong with Sharia, but it's how we implement it". Another Egyptian commented: "There is no singular understanding of Sharia. The Muslim Brotherhood have one understanding, the Salafis have another and so do IS, Boko Haram and Al-Qaeda".

The last highlighted quote is the core of the problem. We've had Jewish courts following Jewish religious law in the UK for decades without any fuss or bother, so it's quite possible for two legal systems to co-exist, so long as the law of the land, decided by a legitimate and secular govermnent, remains supreme.

I don't think that anyone would have a problem with Sharia Law when it comes to domestic matters between Muslims. However, Sharia Law goes a little further than that. Why not ask your local Imam if he believes that Muslims should be allowed to convert out of Islam without being harassed or even murdered. As one official at C.A.I.R. had said previously that Muslims in America are here to follow Sharia Law and not the Constitution. Let your own country allow the Muslims to follow Sharia Law in ever aspect of it (even chopping off hands) and keep on having all those no-go areas if that is what indigenous Englishmen will be happy with.. I don't think Americans would go for that. Meanwhile.......

Saudi Arabia intensifies Twitter crackdown - Yahoo Maktoob News

I don't think that anyone would have a problem with Sharia Law when it comes to domestic matters between Muslims. However, Sharia Law goes a little further than that. Why not ask your local Imam if he believes that Muslims should be allowed to convert out of Islam without being harassed or even murdered. As one official at C.A.I.R. had said previously that Muslims in America are here to follow Sharia Law and not the Constitution. Let your own country allow the Muslims to follow Sharia Law in ever aspect of it (even chopping off hands) and keep on having all those no-go areas if that is what indigenous Englishmen will be happy with.. I don't think Americans would go for that. Meanwhile.......

Well, yes and no. Sharia is more of a moral code, the problems arise with the ways the Quran and hadiths have been interpreted amongst Islamic jurists in many different places at different times. Unlike western secular law, Sharia is not formally codified to the same extent and a lot is left to local judges who are prone to interpret Sharia in line with local customs. The cutting off of hands is not universal practice, neither is stoning. This is why there's always such a big thing made about it in Western media when it does happen. Technically, extreme punishments in Sharia should be rare, used as a last resort and based on the severity of the offense and the freely given confession of the perpetrator. It would not surprise me if most Muslim judges in the UK, if told you cannot use any of the "Hudud" punishments, would do no more than shrug their shoulders and say "fine by us". There are however, bound to be exceptions; no nation, or group, is free from their own lunatic fringe.

Well, yes and no. Sharia is more of a moral code, the problems arise with the ways the Quran and hadiths have been interpreted amongst Islamic jurists in many different places at different times. Unlike western secular law, Sharia is not formally codified to the same extent and a lot is left to local judges who are prone to interpret Sharia in line with local customs. The cutting off of hands is not universal practice, neither is stoning. This is why there's always such a big thing made about it in Western media when it does happen. Technically, extreme punishments in Sharia should be rare, used as a last resort and based on the severity of the offense and the freely given confession of the perpetrator. It would not surprise me if most Muslim judges in the UK, if told you cannot use any of the "Hudud" punishments, would do no more than shrug their shoulders and say "fine by us". There are however, bound to be exceptions; no nation, or group, is free from their own lunatic fringe.

There seems to be a large lunatic fringe among the Muslim clergy who are inciting their members to go against the Infidels. Why not travel around England and start telling these clergymen that they should have more tolerance for the non believers and tell their membership to have the same? Meanwhile, here in America, people can do quite nice without following Sharia Law, especially when we hear about Muslims saying in this country that apostates should be killed. If the Muslims want to live under Sharia Law instead of the Constitution they are certainly free to go to some country where they can practice it.

Forum List

Back