BBC News Reports: Nigeria seizes money 'for Obama'

SolarEnergy1

May 18, 2007
Nigeria seizes money 'for Obama'

_44943076_obama_226.jpg

The money was for adverts telling Nigerians in the US to vote
Nigerian anti-graft investigators have seized money raised by the head of the Nigerian Stock Exchange to support US presidential candidate Barack Obama.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission said it would give the money back to those who attended a gala dinner in Lagos last month.

The EFCC said it had seized 74m naira ($630,000, £314,000), but said no Nigerian laws had been broken.

US political parties are not allowed to receive contributions from abroad.

Stock exchange chairwoman Ndi Okereke-Onyuike is also the head of Africans for Obama, a Nigeria-based support group.

She was interviewed by the EFCC after media reports that the Obama campaign had disassociated itself from the group.

There is not one Nigerian who doesn't have a relative or friend in America

Ndi Okereke-Onyuike
Africans for Obama

Mrs Okereke-Onyiuke said in August there had been a misunderstanding in the press regarding the event.

The money was going to be spent on adverts encouraging Nigerians in the US to vote for Mr Obama, she said.

Tickets to the lavish event in Lagos on 11 August cost more than $21,000 (£11,000) for an eight-person table.

"We never said we were going to donate money for the campaign," she said.

"We paid for the hall and the entertainers and the surplus, we said would be spent on advertisements aimed at persuading Nigerians to tell their relatives in America to register to vote.

"There is not one Nigerian who doesn't have a relative or friend in America. Our aim was to encourage those people to tell their family who have the right to vote in America to vote for Obama."

Jealous

Full-page adverts in major newspapers publicising the event did not mention what the organisers were planning to do with the money.

Tickets to the gala dinner at the Muson Centre, usually used for conferences and trade shows, were split into two price ranges: "gold" and "platinum".

Individual tickets for the more expensive platinum range cost $2,754 (£1,300) with an option to buy a "corporate" table sitting eight for more than $21,000.

She said the press was trying to attack her because they were jealous of her success.

"I am a woman of the highest integrity," she told the BBC News website.

A statement form the EFCC said they had ordered Mrs Okereke-Onyuike to "steer clear of such activities in future".

BBC NEWS | World | Africa | Nigeria seizes money 'for Obama'

So they used Obama's name to raise $$ for their own ads and they maybe shouldn't have.

Obama didn't do it. Does it even say Obama KNEW about it? Nope... hence the QUOTES around the name "Obama".

So your point, other than to be scurrilous, of course.....

From your link:

EFCC said they had ordered Mrs Okereke-Onyuike to "steer clear of such activities in future"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7592362.stm

Boy, they really showed her.

*rolls eyes*

Dearest friend,

I am contacting you today in the direst of circumstances. I have recently raised $630,000 for Barack Obama and I need your help to smuggle these funds out of the country as local police officals have already begun procedings to confiscate these funds. I have already taken the liberty of convertly these fund to certified check and would happily provide you compansation for your help in continuing these funds journey to our savior, Barack Obama. Please contact me ASAP as the noose is continually tighting around these much needed funds.

Yours Truly,
President of Africans for Obama.

:)

Dearest friend,

I am contacting you today in the direst of circumstances. I have recently raised $630,000 for Barack Obama and I need your help to smuggle these funds out of the country as local police officals have already begun procedings to confiscate these funds. I have already taken the liberty of convertly these fund to certified check and would happily provide you compansation for your help in continuing these funds journey to our savior, Barack Obama. Please contact me ASAP as the noose is continually tighting around these much needed funds.

Yours Truly,

Barack Obama is so popular that people are using his name for a scam.

Don't see "Nigerians for John McCain."

:rofl:

Dearest friend,

Yours Truly,

wow, that's the email I got.
small world, huh?

let me save you the trouble. just post your SSN and bank info and I'll take care of the rest.

did I mention that both bits were ones? these guys have class, real class.

Sounds good to me? And ones? Wow, they are really full of class.

I can't wait to do business with them. :lol:

Forum List

Back