Battling the Odds

Never had a flu shot and never had the flu that I know of. I've had plenty of colds in my time, but they're just colds, not flu. Maybe I've had the flu and just think it's a cold. If so, it was no big deal. And since I quit smoking I have very few colds. My immune system is stronger, I guess.

If I feel myself coming down with something, I assume it's a cold not the flu. At the first tickle in the nose or throat, I take Zicam, echinacea and vitamin C. Maybe a little extra vitamin D. Drink lots of water. I continue taking these until there is no hint of symptoms. This usually stops a cold in its tracks, but about every year and a half I get a mild cold in spite of these efforts.

I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer all the time. If I've been out and about, as soon as I get home I wash my hands thoroughly. If I sign for a FedEx package, I sanitize my hands. If I touch money, I wash my hands. If touch doorknobs, I sanitize my hands. I'm kind of kooky, but I think it keeps me healthier.

Ironically, I have a cold right now. Started coming on Friday and it's on its way out now. Really a very mild cold, but very irritating, I'm not used to being sick. : (

Last edited:
What I go through is sometimes far more psychological than physical. For all the things I ingest, very little works better than a change of scenery and atmospheres.

What I go through is sometimes far more psychological than physical. For all the things I ingest, very little works better than a change of scenery and atmospheres.

I don't know if this is what you mean, but I'm a bit of a hypochondriac. Any little thing and I imagine worst-case scenario.

A cut on the finger is going to get infected and kill me. A pain in my leg is a blood clot about to let loose and go straight to my heart. My blood pressure is high normal and I think I've got a blood pressure problem. I take it later and think it's too low, so I think I'm having a heart attack. Flashes in my eye, I'm having a stroke (not...it's normal for someone my age...could be a problem with the retina...it wasn't).

Thank God for the Internet so you can run look things up. If it weren't for that I'd be going to the doctor every week. : )

I drive myself crazy. I'm trying to get a handle on it, but I've got this superstitious thing that if I think I'm okay...I won't be. : )

I often think of that saying, "Cowards die a thousand deaths, but brave men only once." In my defense, I'm not really a coward, though. When something is really wrong I get brave. I mean, what else can you do?

Last edited:
Well, you could always delve into deeper spirituality and find the ways to peace that would work for you. It doesn't have to be so turbulent and you don't have to be alone. Those are usually choices more times than not.

We have been conditioned by the government to think we are all going to die from the current media hyped popular strain of flu every year. Some people actually burdon the health care system with flu symptoms. What do you think a sleep deprived intern who may have graduated somewhere near the bottom of his class in Med school is going to do for your flu symptoms? No more and probably a lot less than a neighbor with a bowl of chicken soup. The intern will prescribe a drug that might hurt you and most likely not help you and you will be on your way in worse shape but you will be a valuable statistic in the medical services food chain and the best thing is that you will really think you were helped by the greatest Medical system in the world.

Sure, Whitey, sure. Just all made up stuff to keep ignoramouses like you from seeing the light.

1918 Flu

What Is the 1918 Flu?
The 1918 flu, or "Spanish flu," caused the highest number of known influenza deaths. More than 500,000 people died in the United States, and up to 50 million people may have died worldwide. Many people died within the first few days after infection with the 1918 flu, and others died of complications. Nearly half of those who died were young, healthy adults.

Sure, Whitey, sure. Just all made up stuff to keep ignoramouses like you from seeing the light.

1918 Flu

What Is the 1918 Flu?
The 1918 flu, or "Spanish flu," caused the highest number of known influenza deaths. More than 500,000 people died in the United States, and up to 50 million people may have died worldwide. Many people died within the first few days after infection with the 1918 flu, and others died of complications. Nearly half of those who died were young, healthy adults.

The greatest Country in the world ain't never good enough for global warmers. If it isn't an asteroid from outer space or Yellowstone blowing up or the plague it's some monster. It's in the leftie credo to be afraid all the time and want the government to protect them.

OMGorsh... now, be good here. It isn't the flame zone. :tongue:

The thing is... some of the most ridiculous things end up as a trip to a Professional Medical Practitioner's office. It is embarrassing that I have done this and it continues to be embarrassingly shameful and very frustrating that others close to me do this... especially for symptoms that just need TIME to pass... or for things that others within the family are well equipped and smart enough to do without seeking out the help of an educated individual out to make a living and promote the necessary spices for the medicinal needs of 'the world'.

Example: an ingrown toe nail for a diabetic. What a seemingly ridiculous thing to go to the doctor for... AND yet most every single educational page regarding the care of diabetics is detailed in specific precautions that KEEP the PATIENTS forever PATIENTS.

Home healthcare providers and the like may come to be very difficult to keep because of the redtape and ridiculous medical hype that they have to be forever mindful of. Continuing education is a big factor, obviously, but experience and (haha) hands ON performance is what allows Medical Practitioners to advance in expertise.

The basic cleaning, adjusting, and monitoring of the home and client's atmosphere is an important part of the job... and keeping up with the basics of the client's personal needs, but even at that, all too often clients are misinformed and feeble minded enough to retain a healthy level of stubbornness about just who is responsible for their healthcare. IT ISN'T necessarily THE DOCTORs.

This is one of the reasons, without question, that medical practitioners have lost (or have not gained) the levels of respect and such in which they most likely deserve. It is very frustrating to see this proverbial snowball continue to roll disastrously...

I am not for being negligent of one's health and major issues should likely have professional advice, but for all the love in the world... LET US numb the toe at home and take care of our own [ clients ]. It isn't always about the money. It is sometimes about using the least things available and making the most of them, surely. *he*arts*

1918 Flu

What Is the 1918 Flu?

Yeah, there were all kinds of factors involved to drive the mortality rate of that flu up. You have to look at the whole picture.

Bottom line is, most people didn't get the flu. Why not? They didn't have vaccines. So what was it that protected some people? I want to be like them.

And of the people who did get it, MOST did NOT die. So, why not? Once again, I want to be like those people.

I attempt to do this by eating copious amounts of brocolli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts, small amounts of meat, 2-3 servings of fish a week, moderate sugar intake, moderate fat intake, lots of fiber, whole grains, drinking lots of water. Also stay very active, avoid crowds, practice good hygiene always. Take a multivitamin plus extra C and D every day.

I take no medications with the only exception of Bayer aspirin once in a while.

The last thing I want is to get some concoction injected into my veins that I have no control over and don't know what exactly it is and whether or not the people who put it together know what the fuck they're doing. The one thing I DO know is that they're doing it for a profit.

Forum List

Back