Battle of Long Island

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
This is an old story from my files, I don't know who originally wrote it or posted, just that its old and quite good.

Following the withdrawal of the British army from Boston on 17th March 1776, Washington in the expectation that Howe would attack New York which was held for the Congress marched much of his army south to that city. In fact the British had sailed north to Halifax in Nova Scotia. It was not until the summer of 1776 that Howe launched his attack on New York.
The British fleet reached the entrance to the Hudson River on 29th June 1776 and Howe landed on Staten Island on 3rd July. The Congress declared independence the next day.

Reinforcements began to arrive from Britain and Major General Clinton arrived from his abortive foray to Charleston, South Carolina.

Washington had built batteries on Manhattan and Long Island to prevent the British fleet penetrating past New York. Of his 18,000 men Washington had positioned around 10,000 in fortifications on Brooklyn Heights, facing the sea and inland, to defend the approach to Manhattan. This force was commanded by Major General Israel Putnam. Part of the American force held the fortified area along the coast while the main body had taken up positions along the high ground inland.

Putnam had served through the French and Indian Wars in various ranger companies. He was a tough and popular man but elderly and of limited ability in a high ranking command.

On 22nd August the British force landed on Long Island to the South of the American fortifications.

On 26th August the main body of the British troops marched north-east along the line of high ground held by the Americans to begin their attack. Information revealed to the British that the most northern of the three roads across the high ground was not guarded. Howe took his troops over the road and was enabled to attack the left American division commanded by Sullivan in the flank and rear while German troops attacked in front. Sullivan’s troops forced to leave their positions with much loss and retreat behind the main Brooklyn fortifications.

On the right of the American position, Clinton had attacked with a smaller force. Sterling and his men resisted for some hours until the British appeared in their rear from the other flank. His force then fell back to the fortified line.
On 28th August Washington brought reinforcements from New York but with the increasing threat from the Royal Navy he withdrew from Brooklyn on 29th August. Howe failed to interfere with the withdrawal. On 15th September Washington was forced to leave New York. Again Howe failed to interfere with the withdrawal losing the opportunity to capture Washington and much of the Continental Army.

Washington was forced to conduct a fighting withdrawal to the Delaware River where he wintered.

Date: 27th August 1776

Place: New York, United States of America

Combatants: British and the American Continental Army

Generals: Major General Lord Howe and General George Washington

Size of the armies engaged: 20,000 British and Hessian Troops and around 10,000 Americans

Casualties: British casualties were around 400 while the Americans lost around 2,000 and several guns.

Follow-up: Brooklyn and the loss of New York was the worst period of the war for Washington and the American cause of independence. Morale in parts of the Continental Army collapsed and whole companies deserted. It is the mark of a truly great leader that he is able to recover from such a reverse.

This remains one of my favorite campaigns, as the battle on Long Island was fought only a few miles from where I was born, and I was able to trace the route of the British flanking movement years ago as a young man.

The American flank rested on a hill that is so high you can see the ocean from it, a good 20 or 30 miles away, but was covered with a heavy trees, the British simply went down Jamaca ave (it is still there to this day) with the help of a loyalist, and flanked the American postions.

Washington's retreat ended up across the Delaware river, where he boldy planned and carried out the great twin victories of Trenton and Princeton starting on December 25 1776.

Long Island was the largest battle fought in the Americas during the revolution.

longisland.jpg

Map of the battle area. The British foolishly permitted the Americans to withdraw to Manhatten and continue the rebellion.

mapbatt28l.gif

Last edited:
The stand of the Maryland 400 helped save the shattered continentals and prevented a close British persuit, they paid a heavy price for it.

milmor22a.jpg

Captain Nathan Hale was captured after the battle and was ordered to be executed as a spy.

His brave last words inspired a nation:

"I regret i have but one life to lose for my country"

photo-15.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back