Battle Cry of Freedom

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
I just finished this abridged illustraed version of James McPherson's history of the Civil War. Excellent one-volume work. McPherson addresses the history of America from the Mexican-American War on the political, social, and economic levels, giving the reader a great view about why the Civil War (or the War Between the States) started in the first place. While McPherson certainly talks a lot about slavery, he also talks about the Constitutional questions behind slavery and why the South's argument for secession had some legal standing. The second half of the book covers the war itself, explaining the continued political, social, and economic turmoil that the war caused, as well as the diplomatic and, of course, military facets of the War, in terms that anyone can understand.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a good history of the Civil War in one volume. At 760 pages, it's a long read, but certainly worthwhile. 5 out of 5 stars.

he wrote a fine book, and a few other good ones as well.

have you read "abraham lincoln and the 2nd American Revolution"?

its a great book, mcpherson says lincoln was a conservative revolutionary whose gaol was to conserve the Union as the revolutionary heritage of the founding fathers.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I just finished this abridged illustraed version of James McPherson's history of the Civil War. Excellent one-volume work. McPherson addresses the history of America from the Mexican-American War on the political, social, and economic levels, giving the reader a great view about why the Civil War (or the War Between the States) started in the first place. While McPherson certainly talks a lot about slavery, he also talks about the Constitutional questions behind slavery and why the South's argument for secession had some legal standing. The second half of the book covers the war itself, explaining the continued political, social, and economic turmoil that the war caused, as well as the diplomatic and, of course, military facets of the War, in terms that anyone can understand.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone wanting a good history of the Civil War in one volume. At 760 pages, it's a long read, but certainly worthwhile. 5 out of 5 stars.

I got the boxed set of this series last summer, didn't have time to read, I think I'll get started on it with that recommendation!

Kathianne, being the academic that I see you are, you will really love it!

NATO air, no, I haven't read taht book yet... maybe in a while. I'm about to start reading through the bios of all the Presidents.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Kathianne, being the academic that I see you are, you will really love it!

NATO air, no, I haven't read taht book yet... maybe in a while. I'm about to start reading through the bios of all the Presidents.

That one just hyped on WSJ on Clinton? That was awesome. I think they ran the one on Reagan during the funeral also...

Forum List

Back