Batter

BEST CHICKEN FRIED STEAK EVER:

Cube steak
flour & seasonings
Egg
crushed crackers (or more flour...or both)
Bacon fat (if you've got it. Otherwise, use what you have. Oil. Or lard...lard is wonderful for this too. But bacon grease is the best, if you have it use it..if you have a little, add that to the oil you do have)

So you take your cubed steak and dredge them in seasoned flour. Push down on them in the flour to make sure you get a good coating. Shake off excess.

Place in egg wash; a couple or three eggs beaten with a couple of tablespoons of water or milk; you want it beaten pretty good or you'll end up needing more eggs if you're doing more than a few steaks.

Coat again in more seasoned flour, or crushed saltines, or a combination of both. I've also used soft bread crumbs...I like finely crushed cracker crumbs the best; seasoned flour second; homemade bread crumbs third (they soak up a lot of oil)

Once you get that last coat on over the egg wash, drop in heated oil (cast iron skillet is best, but whatever you have..the bigger the better, with probably 1/2" oil in the bottom) that is somewhere between medium and medium hot. You don't want it to just sit there and soak up oil but you also don't want to scorch the coating before the meat is done.

Cook until golden brown, turn and cook on the other side. By the time the second side is done, it shouldn't be bleeding anymore, but turn it over for a sec to make sure that whatever bled out gets cooked too.

I put my steaks in a pan in the oven to stay warm/rest...you might want to put a cake rack in the bottom so the excess oil drains off, if there is any.

If you're making quite a bit, you probably want to make a swipe through he oil between batches to fish out burned flour/crumbs etc, so the oil doesn't get all nasty and black. I usually sort of tip my pan so the oil collects at the bottom, and clean off what sticks to the pan above the oil after I've tipped it...works pretty well.

When you're done, make pan gravy using the seasoned flour (add more if you need to). Pour off (if you need to) all but a few Tbs of the oil, put the flour in, stir it around until it mixes up with the oil and gives you a nice roux...then add milk, salt and lotsa pepper. Whisk.

To serve....spoon a ladleful of gravy onto the place, and put a steak on top. Serve with whatever you like, or nothing at all.

Best stuff in the world. I guarantee it will knock your socks off.

Chicken fried steak is one of my specialties...mine is always killer, so I promise you, use that recipe and you'll be set.

Forum List

Back