BATF: Legal MM users are prohibited from guns or ammo

Unfortunately, while not in the constitution, under the rules of the constitution it was included in part of a federal law.

We need to change the law if you want to change this situation, or get people to not enforce the law ;)

We have learned recently that the ATF is above the law. Letting guns walk is reason for promotion with Obamas admin.

That is true.

However, 2 wrongs don't make a right. We can't behave like those we abhore in the govt just because we dont like a law or else we are just as devious as they are.

So , are supposed to accept unconstitutional laws just so we can get along?

Another excellent example of the ongoing insanity this nation has over this harnless weed.

yes. but it hasn't been legalized.... which begs the question of why.

and this has nothing to do with the federal judiciary (so someone should tell the o/p). it has to do with stupid drug policy which the old white men in congress won't address because of the whole puritan thing.

I just laugh at pot heads who claim med reasons breaking the law and then crying when something happens they don't like. I do not want some pot head high on dope walking around carrying a gun. Idiots.

The issue, dipshit, is not potheads with guns. The issue is: Just how powerful and invasive do you want your national government to be?

Should it be illegal to leave a loaded gun where the five year old can get it and blow the head off the two year old? Is it a defense that the gun owner was self-medicating at the time and was too high to realize this was a dangerous thing to do?

Is this a real question? Obviously the person who leaves the gun out is negligent. No it is not a defense that he was self-medicating. Are you trying to argue that because someone may do that we should outlaw self-medicating? Is it legal to leave a gun on the table where a five year old has access to the gun and blows the head off of a two year old? What if he is on the phone talking and gets distracted? Should we not allow people who own phones (or are on phones) to use guns? What about laptops? Video games?

I really don't understand your question. If you hold people accountable for their actions then you are correct, we should have the federal government mandate everything we do. What if someone has to go to the bathroom real bad and leaves it out. Should we exclude anyone who has a urethra from owning a gun? Good God child. Think about it. You are excusing someone from owning a weapon (or being in possession of one) because they might do something horrific. Don't do that. Just nail them to the wall if they do.

Mike

What is disturbing is that the ATF is making rules when they think that Marijuana is addictive.
Tobacco is addictive
Alcohol is addictive
Marijuana is not.

Ok, but let's clarify; ATF didn't make the rule-congress did, specifically, in a provision off the 1968 Gun Control Act (the one that requires you to fill out a registration form for every gun you buy) . On that form is a statement (among severaL others) that yu have to sign, to the effect that "I am not addicted to, or an unlawful user of, marijuana, or any other narcotic or stimulant drug" (bolding mine). That's the problem-medical use of cannabis is STILL "unlawful use" under federal law. Whether it should be, is another matter, but as of now, it is. I hate to take up for the ATF, but here, all they have done is remind their personnel that anyone who admits to medical use of marijuana is (at least according to current federal statutes) is an "unlawful user" and thus a "prohibited person" under the 1968 GCA, which is nothing but stating the obvious. I'm not defending either the drug laws (the "war on drugs" is an abject failure, to begin with), or the GCA (likewise a failure in any meaningful sense, IMO), OR the constitutionality of either (both have, however, been upheld repeatedly by the federal courts, so good luck getting them declared unconstitutional). The best course, it seems to me, is to work to repeal these laws, simply because they were and are bad legislation.

we have learned recently that the atf is above the law. Letting guns walk is reason for promotion with obamas admin.

that is true.

However, 2 wrongs don't make a right. We can't behave like those we abhore in the govt just because we dont like a law or else we are just as devious as they are.

when injustice becomes law. resistance becomes duty. Are we to follow unjust laws for the sake of appearances?

exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BATF recently sent a memo to firearms dealers claiming that Medicinal marihuana use violates Federal Firearms Laws.

HUH? WTF?

"Federal Firearms Laws? What the fuck is that? Shouldn't someone send the bastards a memo clearly stating that their policy violates the Constitution , the the 2nd and 9th Amendments.

A copy should be sent to the scumbag impostors who sit on the so-called federal judiciary.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your post shows clearly just how out of control our gov't has become.

sadly and unfortunately the federal government has become a continuing criminal enterprise.

The BATF recently sent a memo to firearms dealers claiming that Medicinal marihuana use violates Federal Firearms Laws.

HUH? WTF?

"Federal Firearms Laws? What the fuck is that? Shouldn't someone send the bastards a memo clearly stating that their policy violates the Constitution , the the 2nd and 9th Amendments.

A copy should be sent to the scumbag impostors who sit on the so-called federal judiciary.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just laugh at pot heads who claim med reasons breaking the law and then crying when something happens they don't like. I do not want some pot head high on dope walking around carrying a gun. Idiots.
You must REALLY want to hold on to your Doritos! :lol:

I do not want some pot head high on dope walking around carrying a gun.

Well that is the entire reason for the Constitution - to give the federal government the power to take whatever action is necessary to ensure you are not make to feel uncomfortable. So you're right, even if a person is acting completely normal, hasn't hurt anyone else nor has he taken what doesn't belong to him, the feds should through him in jail...because you are uncomfortable. That's a great idea...and certainly Constitutional!

Anything else make you feel icky that we should outlaw?
How about someone that's had a drink walking down the street with a knife in his pocket? Toss him in jail? Of course, a pencil can be used to poke someone's eye out...so he's busted as well? You know, water kills FAR more kids every year than guns. I think we need to ban the use of a pool or bathtub for anyone that has taken medication, agreed? It's for the children dammit!!!

Of course that question will remain unanswered.

What is disturbing is that the ATF is making rules when they think that Marijuana is addictive.
Tobacco is addictive
Alcohol is addictive
Marijuana is not.

Ok, but let's clarify; ATF didn't make the rule-congress did, specifically, in a provision off the 1968 Gun Control Act (the one that requires you to fill out a registration form for every gun you buy) . On that form is a statement (among severaL others) that yu have to sign, to the effect that "I am not addicted to, or an unlawful user of, marijuana, or any other narcotic or stimulant drug" (bolding mine). That's the problem-medical use of cannabis is STILL "unlawful use" under federal law. Whether it should be, is another matter, but as of now, it is. I hate to take up for the ATF, but here, all they have done is remind their personnel that anyone who admits to medical use of marijuana is (at least according to current federal statutes) is an "unlawful user" and thus a "prohibited person" under the 1968 GCA, which is nothing but stating the obvious. I'm not defending either the drug laws (the "war on drugs" is an abject failure, to begin with), or the GCA (likewise a failure in any meaningful sense, IMO), OR the constitutionality of either (both have, however, been upheld repeatedly by the federal courts, so good luck getting them declared unconstitutional). The best course, it seems to me, is to work to repeal these laws, simply because they were and are bad legislation.

Here is something I picked up. Living in Colorado we are a medical marijuana state and this gun ownership issue was brought up to the top medical marijuana attorney in this state--Rob Corry--and his response came in a magazine that is freely distributed in Colorado. This response comes from the February 15, 2011 magazine called Kush.

Question to Rob Corry:

Rob, I am a Medical marijuana patient who grows and possesses, and I also have firearms for protection of my home and family and for sporting purposes. Is this safe?

Reply from Rob Corry. Short version of article below.

This can be a complicated issue, and there are risks on either side. The analysis of this question turns on the particular facts of your situation.

First and foremost, unless you are a previously-convicted felon, you have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms under both the United States constitution and the Colorado constitution. The state protection of firearms is even stronger than the Federal constitutional protection in the Second amendment. In Colorado--"the right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person or property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question Colorado Constitution article 11 & 13.

However, there is a serious legal risk to possessing firearms if you are also engaged in the medical use of marijuana. Both federal and state laws provide for severe penalties and mandatory prison sentences for using deadly weapons to effectuate a violation of drug laws.

In America there are presently more firearms than people. It would be another failed experiment in Prohibition for the government to attempt to take all of our weapons away. But the government likes prohibition. Our own President has smoked marijuana himself, repeatedly, yet now seeks to lock people up in prison over it.

So if you trust people more than government, and decide that you would rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six, be cautious in the excercise of this right. Store the weapons safely and out of the reach of children. Obtain a concealed weapons permit as an additional piece of protection from the government , even though such permit is not required to have firearms in your home. IF THE GOVERNMENT REFUSES TO GRANT YOU A PERMIT DUE TO YOUR STATUS AS A MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENT--please call me or another lawyer, because that would be illegal.
Rob Corry--medical marijuana attorney--state of Colorado

As we see again the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT does not respect the 10th amendment to the constitution of the United states guaranteeing sovereignty (states rights). What's worse and makes everyone want to BARF is this is coming from the ATF--who is up in to their ARMPITS in the Fast and Furious scandal--and is actually responsible for killing many people--including taking the life of a U.S. border agent. And they're sending out a memo to gun shop owners not to sell guns or ammo to medical marijuana patients??? You've got to be freakin kidding me!!!

http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/02/n...ver-up-white-house-involvement/#ixzz1WuWEt1Q6

Last edited:

Forum List

Back