Bastard broke my heart

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Joe Biden reflects on losing wife, daughter - BostonHerald.com

WASHINGTON — Speaking to the families of dead service members, Vice President Joe Biden delivered an emotional retelling of his own family tragedy, the death of his wife and daughter in a car crash 40 years ago, saying the experience helped him understand why people commit suicide.

Biden said the shock and pain of the deaths in 1972, shortly after he was first elected to the Senate, was a "black hole you feel in your chest, like you’re being sucked back into it."

"It was the first time in my career, my life, I realized someone could go out — and I probably shouldn’t say this with the press here, but — no, but it’s more important. You’re more important. For the first time in my life I understood how someone could consciously decide to commit suicide," Biden said Friday. "Not because they were deranged, not because they were nuts; because they’d been to the top of the mountain and they just knew in their heart they’d never get there again, that it was never going to be that way ever again. That’s how an awful lot of you feel."

/snip

"There will come a day, I promise you, and your parents as well, when the thought of your son or daughter or your husband or wife brings a smile to your lips before it brings a tear to your eye. It will happen," he said.

"My prayer for you is that day will come sooner or later. But the only thing I have more experience than you in is this: I’m telling you it will come."

I don't need Biden to tell me what I already know. Personally, he would do better to honor our military - and their families - by treating them with respect instead of his 'woe is me' bullshit.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
  • Banned
Wow..way to go Joe. The quote is beautiful.

Agreed.

Becoming a parent means there is always some small corner of our hearts and minds that is in beg mode. "Please don't hurt her. Please don't let any harm befall her. Take me if you have to take anybody. I've never loved anybody as much as I love her."

Joe spoke to that, from a place of having experienced that grievous loss we are all, please God, lucky enough to avoid. And when you love a soldier, that fear isn't in some small corner anymore. It is front and center, until they return home, safe, and hopefully intact.

Like Bozo Biden is the only person to have suffered a loss.

Okay, that's two for the "Lord you people are mean-spirited and shiteous" count.

I'm neither 'mean-spirited' nor 'shiteous' (whatever that means)... I am, however, unmoved by the bullshit of politicians who use their own trials and tribulations to score political points. Many of us have suffered loss... and we bear it with dignity - unlike Biden.

I don't need Biden to tell me what I already know. Personally, he would do better to honor our military - and their families - by treating them with respect instead of his 'woe is me' bullshit.

you are one cold hearted partisan rube

Okay, that's two for the "Lord you people are mean-spirited and shiteous" count.

I'm neither 'mean-spirited' nor 'shiteous' (whatever that means)... I am, however, unmoved by the bullshit of politicians who use their own trials and tribulations to score political points. Many of us have suffered loss... and we bear it with dignity - unlike Biden.

He bore it with dignity so long, I didn't even know it happened.

Shiteous: Rhymes with hideous, but poo-flinging is involved.

No I just get sick and tired of the implication that somehow if one is famous that their personal losses are somehow more meaningful and should be held up as an example of perseverance than some other poor anonymous slob's.

Everyone has experienced loss and heartbreak. Platitudes are cold comfort.

Do you want me to gooogle the location of the Biden graves so you can go spit on the babies little plot?

No I just get sick and tired of the implication that somehow if one is famous that their personal losses are somehow more meaningful and should be held up as an example of perseverance than some other poor anonymous slob's.

Everyone has experienced loss and heartbreak. Platitudes are cold comfort.

Then you completely missed the point. Completely. "Everyone has experienced loss and heartbreak?" Really? There are all sorts of people who go through life with their dearly beloved, raise a passel of kids who then raise a passel of kids, and after a time life ends, as it should.

Then there are people like Joe.

Then there are calls like the night we sat down for Christmas Eve dinner, and got a prayer chain call because Tommy Dorf was following his wife to his parents house, and she spun out. She died in his arms, in front of their five children.

I've never experienced that kind of pain. Joe Biden hasn't even experienced that kind of pain. And it is NOT platitudes to let someone know they will get through it, even if it means nothing to them at the time, because they are not so sure they will.

I don't see anything wrong with Biden telling the people of his experience in loosing his wife & daughter...in fact it probably makes him more human to some.

BUT....why did he have to talk about how he "understands" why people commit suicide? I understand him talking about their deaths and how he knows what these people are going through, but why didn't he just keep to that instead of talking about how he considered killing himself? Why bring that up? I'm sure there's many family members out there that have probably thought the same thing, but to bring this up to all these people that have lost someone in the war and they're suffering already. I hope he didn't give someone any ideas....
Biden had help to get through it, there are many out there that won't have the help and they'll just do it, and i hope it isn't because Biden said he "understood" why!

I don't see anything wrong with Biden telling the people of his experience in loosing his wife & daughter...in fact it probably makes him more human to some.

BUT....why did he have to talk about how he "understands" why people commit suicide? I understand him talking about their deaths and how he knows what these people are going through, but why didn't he just keep to that instead of talking about how he considered killing himself? Why bring that up? I'm sure there's many family members out there that have probably thought the same thing, but to bring this up to all these people that have lost someone in the war and they're suffering already. I hope he didn't give someone any ideas....
Biden had help to get through it, there are many out there that won't have the help and they'll just do it, and i hope it isn't because Biden said he "understood" why!

Because he needed to let them know that he knows. He's been there, yes; it was just that bad. He understands the perception "I have nothing left to live for", and he still chose life. And the day will come when their pain will lessen.

look at the intitial reactions.

They had to be shamed into acting like human beings to accept Biden was being kind and very touching to his fellow sufferers

Joe Biden reflects on losing wife, daughter - BostonHerald.com

WASHINGTON — Speaking to the families of dead service members, Vice President Joe Biden delivered an emotional retelling of his own family tragedy, the death of his wife and daughter in a car crash 40 years ago, saying the experience helped him understand why people commit suicide.

Biden said the shock and pain of the deaths in 1972, shortly after he was first elected to the Senate, was a "black hole you feel in your chest, like you’re being sucked back into it."

"It was the first time in my career, my life, I realized someone could go out — and I probably shouldn’t say this with the press here, but — no, but it’s more important. You’re more important. For the first time in my life I understood how someone could consciously decide to commit suicide," Biden said Friday. "Not because they were deranged, not because they were nuts; because they’d been to the top of the mountain and they just knew in their heart they’d never get there again, that it was never going to be that way ever again. That’s how an awful lot of you feel."

/snip

"There will come a day, I promise you, and your parents as well, when the thought of your son or daughter or your husband or wife brings a smile to your lips before it brings a tear to your eye. It will happen," he said.

"My prayer for you is that day will come sooner or later. But the only thing I have more experience than you in is this: I’m telling you it will come."

That's very heart wrenching. I feel for him.

Thanks for that.

Forum List

Back