Baseball situation: Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellbury at first and third ...

A wringle in the scenario is the runner 'walking'; the catcher might run directly at the runner walking which requires the pitcher to cover home, with no back up. A risky option.

Agreed.

I was chatting about this last night with the guys at the office and given the players involved I truly think that damn near whenever those two are on the corners the guy on first could just walk to second without drawing a throw.

Now if Tito were only arrogant enough to give such an order ....

With a right handed first baseman it might be feasible for the catcher to throw to #3 and have him chase the runner to second, forcing the runner at third to make a play.
The offensive strategy - having the runner walk off first base - may work at lower levels of baseball (forced balk effort) but I can't see it in college or professional ball.

Naturally you cannot get away with a such a move without the "elite of the elite" speed that Crawford and Ellsbury possess. Plus, Tito wouldn't let it happen because you can pretty much bet the farm that whoever is doing the walking to second will be dodging fastballs their next at bat. But I think they could do it.

Agreed.

I was chatting about this last night with the guys at the office and given the players involved I truly think that damn near whenever those two are on the corners the guy on first could just walk to second without drawing a throw.

With a right handed first baseman it might be feasible for the catcher to throw to #3 and have him chase the runner to second, forcing the runner at third to make a play.
The offensive strategy - having the runner walk off first base - may work at lower levels of baseball (forced balk effort) but I can't see it in college or professional ball.

There aren't many anyway, but what's the difference in this scenario if #3 is right handed?

It's easier for the right handed 1B who is chasing a runner to second to plant and throw home than it is the lefty to plant, turn, and throw.

Look the runner back to third and throw to second

Have a spotter on Crawford (to yell when he is going), start a rundown and when Crawford breaks...fire home

A lot of potential for things to go awry there.

There aren't many anyway, but what's the difference in this scenario if #3 is right handed?

It's easier for the right handed 1B who is chasing a runner to second to plant and throw home than it is the lefty to plant, turn, and throw.

Yes, I see what you mean. Thanks.

Agreed.

The throw home from a first baseman chasing a runner from 1 to 2 is much more difficult and will have a bit slower deliver if #3 throws from the left side. Of course the athleticism of #3 is more important, it was simply a detail a catcher would consider.
In the scenario there is no score in the 5th (so the pitching is strong) and you don't want a throwing error to cost the game.
As former catchers we both understand why the catcher is a baseball teams quarterback. They may wear the tools of ignorance, but it is the most fun position IMO.
More baseball games are lost than are one (I don't recall who said that, but it's true).

No matter the game situation Crawford+Ells on base together = gray hairs for opposing managers

The throw home from a first baseman chasing a runner from 1 to 2 is much more difficult and will have a bit slower deliver if #3 throws from the left side. Of course the athleticism of #3 is more important, it was simply a detail a catcher would consider.
In the scenario there is no score in the 5th (so the pitching is strong) and you don't want a throwing error to cost the game.
As former catchers we both understand why the catcher is a baseball teams quarterback. They may wear the tools of ignorance, but it is the most fun position IMO.
More baseball games are lost than are one (I don't recall who said that, but it's true).

Yes, of course... It's been quite a while..I forgot about the mechanics of the pivot and throw...Thanks.

Can anyone name the nine ways a batter can reach first base? Four were named above without a swing, there are five other ways, four with contact and one without.

Can anyone name the nine ways a batter can reach first base? Four were named above without a swing, there are five other ways, four with contact and one without.

Base hit

Fielder's choice

Reach on an error

Prolly some whacked out thing to do with the infield fly rule

Base hit

Fielder's choice

Reach on an error

hmmm...if the infield fly rule is in effect, isn't the batter automatically out?

Base hit

Fielder's choice

Reach on an error

hmmm...if the infield fly rule is in effect, isn't the batter automatically out?

That's how I understand it which is why I put the "prolly some whacked out thing to do with it" in my answer.

I see umpire interference, fielder obstruction, and a balk with 3 balls and nobody on.

Some count pinch running and an overturned out call.

I've never seen a balk with three balls and nobody on before.

I've never seen a balk with three balls and nobody on before.

Yeah...That's pretty unlikely.

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a balk from the wind up?

From the stretch, ok..it happens...It SHOULDN'T, but....

Base hit

Fielder's choice

Reach on an error

base hit, error and FC are correct plus batter hits the runner, batter gets credit for a hit and awarded 1B; and, with three balls on the batter, the pitcher on the rubber goes to the mouth, allowing for ball four and first base.

Your pitcher begins his delivery and once he makes a clear move toward home plate the runner on first (it doesn't matter if it is Crawford or Ells) begins to casually walk to second base.

What would you do?

What's the score?

What's the count on the batter?

How many outs?

What position am I playing?

Is the batter right handed or left?

You are the catcher, your team is up 3-1 in the 5th, nobody out, Youk's up with a count of 0-0.

Casual walk? :eusa_think:

Throw it to 3, force that runner into a break for 2B, fake the squeeze play with 3 and 4 in on the scam but ultimately knowing they're going to concede the steal, and hopefully this would bait the 3B runner to home where he could get caught in a 2-5-1-6 squeeze.

But that seems like a lot of work and a lot of opportunity for errors just to switch up on fast runners in scoring position. If that AB ends up being a rocket into the gap, Speedy Gonzalez on second is scoring anyways, just with more effort than the former 3B runner. Maybe Speedy sprains his ankle rounding third. :badgrin:

This scenario is another reason why managers used to put "bubblegum" in the lower lip for the entire game.

You are the catcher, your team is up 3-1 in the 5th, nobody out, Youk's up with a count of 0-0.

Hmmm..I'd fake the throw to second and have either the 2nd baseman or the SS..depending on if the batter is left or right, cut off the throw and see if the runner on 3rd breaks for home..

..or maybe make an immediate throw to 3rd if the runner has a big lead..see if we can catch him.

I dunno...so what's the answer?

There is no "answer" I'm just curious what someone would do. I doubt any kind of fake throw or cut off situation is going to work all that well because of how slow the play is developing with the runner casually walking to second. A quick throw to third and you might get lucky if the runner is jumpy but you are running a risk of throwing the ball down the left field line and again, with the runner walking to second the guy on third has no reason to move at all unless the ball leaves the catcher's hands.

It's embarrassing but you are prolly better off letting the man take the bag.

Pretty scary thought for opposing managers, huh?

I would laugh to the point of shitting my pants to see a baserunner just slowly walking to second. :lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back