Baseball rules see if you are smarter than you think

critter

Rookie
Sep 7, 2009
new hampshire
Now i give you mutli choice answer two choice from one is right the rest is wrong.

1. Is there such thing as tie goes to the runner?

A. No such thing as tie goes to runner he either safe or out.
B. Yes tie goes to the runner
C. tie goes to the felider
D. all the above

2. Can you steal on a foul tip. (read the rule carefully if your are going to guess)

A. No its a foul ball runner has to retrun
B. Yes he can still on a foul tip the ball is in play and alive
C all your answers are wrong.
D. Whatever i say it is.

3. Are hands part of the bat?
A. no there not
B. yes there are.
c. i got nothing

4. Does the batter have to attempt to move if he knows he going to get hit by a ball.
A. no
B. yes
5. if the ball hits the plate is that fair ball?

A. no tis foul plate is in foul territory
B. yes its fair its not different than any other base but the shape.

:eusa_pray:

#1 - I choose D, because it could literally go either way on any given play, but umpires will tell you there is no such thing as a tie going to either one. They call it how they hear the two different sounds (ball hitting glove, foot hitting bag) on a bang-bang play. If it's literally a tie they make a judgment call. I wouldn't be surprised though if statistically, a tie goes to the runner a majority of the time. Sometimes though, an umpire knows he missed a call earlier in the game, and in that case he may call the tie play as needed to make-up the mistake. They'll never admit to that though.

#2 - There's a stipulation in this rule about the number of strikes in the count, but I forget the exacts. So I say C.

#3 - A

#4 - B

#5 - I say B but I'm not 100% positive

Last edited:
  • Banned
#1 - I choose D, because it could literally go either way on any given play, but umpires will tell you there is no such thing as a tie going to either one. They call it how they hear the two different sounds (ball hitting glove, foot hitting bag) on a bang-bang play. If it's literally a tie they make a judgment call. I wouldn't be surprised though if statistically, a tie goes to the runner a majority of the time. Sometimes though, an umpire knows he missed a call earlier in the game, and in that case he may call the tie play as needed to make-up the mistake. They'll never admit to that though.

#2 - There's a stipulation in this rule about the number of strikes in the count, but I forget the exacts. So I say C.

#3 - A

#4 - B

#5 - I say B but I'm not 100% positive

Thanks for answering i give the answer once the thread start dying you might be surprise on some answers :razz:

Now i give you mutli choice answer two choice from one is right the rest is wrong.

D. all the above

2. Can you steal on a foul tip. (read the rule carefully if your are going to guess)

D. Whatever i say it is.

A. no there not
B. yes there are.
c. i got nothing

4. Does the batter have to attempt to move if he knows he going to get hit by a ball.
A. no
B. yes

1. tie goes to the runner
2. no
3.yes
4yes well at least in softball you do
5. a I think

man 5 is going to bug me, I was an umpire for 4 years, you should PM me if I am right or wrong.

• Banned

D. all the above

D. Whatever i say it is.

A. no there not
B. yes there are.
c. i got nothing

A. no
B. yes

1. tie goes to the runner
2. no
3.yes
4yes well at least in softball you do
5. a I think

man 5 is going to bug me, I was an umpire for 4 years, you should PM me if I am right or wrong.

sure thing man btw what leuge did you umpire in? i umpire youth sports.

Last edited:
sysa, it was softball. I did mostly girls under 14. They did schedule me once to do high school summer league, problem was it was my own game.

• Banned
sysa, it was softball. I did mostly girls under 14. They did schedule me once to do high school summer league, problem was it was my own game.

I do baberuth and calripken there is softball league but i never did the test for that yet.
so it just baseball here for me lol

D. all the above

D. Whatever i say it is.

A. no there not
B. yes there are.
c. i got nothing

A. no
B. yes

1. A
2. A (when the catcher catches the ball it is hot)
3. B
4. B
5. B

1) H
2) BB
3) HBP
4) E
5) K but catcher fails to catch the 3rd strike and doesn't throw out the batter.
6) Catcher interference.
7) Fielder's choice in forcing out the lead runner.
8) Fan interference.
9) "Roof rule" double - Invented in Minneapolis on a huuuuge pop-up by Dave Kingman.

A. No such thing as tie goes to runner he either safe or out. - it's all up to the ump
D. all the above

B. Yes he can still on a foul tip the ball is in play and alive - only if it is caught by the catcher
D. Whatever i say it is.

A. no there not - see Carlos Pena on 9/7/09
B. yes there are.
c. i got nothing

A. no
B. yes - yes

B. yes its fair its not different than any other base but the shape. - the back corner of the plate rests tightly on the inside of the right angle created by the left and right foul lines. The plate is in fair territory.

Howd I do! Howd I do!!!

Last edited:

D. all the above

D. Whatever i say it is.

A. no there not
B. yes there are.
c. i got nothing

A. no
B. yes

1. a
2. b
3. b
4. b
5. b

1) H
2) BB
3) HBP
4) E
5) K but catcher fails to catch the 3rd strike and doesn't throw out the batter.
6) Catcher interference.
7) Fielder's choice in forcing out the lead runner.
8) Fan interference.
9) "Roof rule" double - Invented in Minneapolis on a huuuuge pop-up by Dave Kingman.

First six are correct. Eight is incorrect, nine, is a ground rule double. The question was nine ways to reach first base (and I think that first happened in Seattle at the Kingdom).

8. Batter hits ball which strikes a base runner, ball is dead, batter awarded first base.
9, Batter has 3 ball count, pitcher goes to his mouth while on the rubber - balk, penalty is one ball. Better goes to first on balk.

D. all the above

D. Whatever i say it is.

A. no there not
B. yes there are.
c. i got nothing

A. no
B. yes

1. A
2. A (when the catcher catches the ball it is hot)
3. B
4. B
5. B

A foul tip is also when a catchers catches that goes without saying if he does not catch its a foul ball.

Hands are not part of the bat its a myth when you drop the bat your hands do not drop to
the ground now do they?
1. right
2. right but added more information to it
3. wrong
4. right
5. true

Not bad.

A. No such thing as tie goes to runner he either safe or out. - it's all up to the ump
D. all the above

B. Yes he can still on a foul tip the ball is in play and alive - only if it is caught by the catcher
D. Whatever i say it is.

A. no there not - see Carlos Pena on 9/7/09
B. yes there are.
c. i got nothing

A. no
B. yes - yes

B. yes its fair its not different than any other base but the shape. - the back corner of the plate rests tightly on the inside of the right angle created by the left and right foul lines. The plate is in fair territory.

Howd I do! Howd I do!!!

1. Umpire either knows he safe or out. no such thing as tie
2. There a reason people call foul tip and foul ball are diffrent. it goes without saying a foultip is goes to catchers glove sharply if he does not hold onto it its a foul ball.
3. Correct
4. correct
5. correct

Luissa you did pretty bad on this for having been an umpire in ballgames.

I hope you weren't umping home or first.

To be fair, I got #2 wrong. I could have sworn there was a stipulation involving the count.

Luissa you did pretty bad on this for having been an umpire in ballgames.

I hope you weren't umping home or first.

To be fair, I got #2 wrong. I could have sworn there was a stipulation involving the count.

to be fair Luissa is a softball umpire so there rules are different compare to baseball.

on a foultip if runners steals on the pitch and batter tips the ball and catchers catchs it its alive ball no matter 2-2 0 outs or 1 out. if its two outs the batter is retired and runner can't advance caue that was the last out. of the innning.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back