Baseball is dying

...my daughters played softball till they started lacrosse when the younger one was older....then no more softball ...no one wanted to play softball
..it did seem very boring for the younger girls----no runs no hits...if a hit, very weak
....walk after walk sometimes/etc --it was '''painful'' to go through a game sometimes
..even up to 6th or 7th grade before they started lacrosse, the games could be slooooow
...lacrosse is much more fun/fast/exciting
..even soccer was more exciting
..it could get real hot and the kids in the field would just have to stand there--with no action at all for a long time--like torture

Many teams are following the Houston, KC, Miami model where you lose 100 games a year for 4-5 years. You dump all your high cost players and stock up on quality minor leaguers and first round draft choices

Yankees and Dodgers have not won in recent years
Crap teams in small markets have

Over the last 20 years, add up the small market teams and big market teams that have won a world series.

I dare ya!

Every time the Yankees don't make the playoffs, it is a big scandal.

I wonder why.

Conversely, if my Reds make the playoffs that become a big scandal.

I've been a huge Reds fan since I can even remember watching baseball, and the fact is, they may have a winning team every 5 years or so, and then it goes into rebuilding mode all over again. Even when they have their own homegrown talent, once they reach arbitration and free agency, the Reds can no longer afford to keep all the pieces together. They had to decide between Cueto or Homer, they couldn't keep both. They kept Homer and his health has killed them. Cozart finally put together a good bat with a good glove and he priced himself out of the city. The same things will happen with Winker in a few years, and with Scooter after this year.

When Castellini bought the Reds he said he would put more money into the team to make sure they would compete. He hasn't and they haven't had a winning season since 2013.

The Reds are partially to blame for their plight. They CHOSE to adopt a small market mentality even though they have 4 states to draw from, which are Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia. The Big Red Machine produced a nation of Reds fans but they pissed it all down the drain and now no one cares. You can't even get the Reds on radio in many places in Ohio now.

That's odd since I'm in western NC and I literally can't watch an MLB-TV game if the Reds are involved because it considers this are in the Reds' "market".. Even though in order to get to Cincinnati to watch a game I'd have to drive out to Tennessee, across that, across Kentucky and west to Cincinnati. I'd basically have to leave the previous day.

That's quite a wide "market". And perhaps that term is the whole crux of the matter.

You just need to get Fox Sports Ohio. :)

As far as I know Cincinnati sports has no coverage where I live. Atlanta does (and even that is a four-hour drive). But Ohio is three states away, and yet it blocks me out from watching games, even if the Reds (or Braves) were playing in San Diego. Which is bullshit.

I don't have TV anyway so neither the Reds nor the Braves are within sight. But MLB won't take that into account. And it's kind of odd that they try to tell me I'm in one "market" -- and yet I'm also in another "market".

Mostly I use satellite radio. They can't track where you are so you can follow any game you want. On the other hand you have to take the home feed.

It is a shame... I love baseball, played it all my younger years, even two years in college.

It indeed is sad that the owners and the players have ruined the game,Thats the same with football as well. I wish i had been good enough to go as far as two years in college to play it as you did,man that is so cool you got to do that.:thup:

I stopped in high school though because thats when i wasnt good at it anymore.when your not good at something,thats when you dont find it fun anymore.

It is a shame... I love baseball, played it all my younger years, even two years in college.

It indeed is sad that the owners and the players have ruined the game,Thats the same with football as well. I wish i had been good enough to go as far as two years in college to play it as you did,man that is so cool.I stopped in high school though because thats when i wasnt good at it anymore.when your not good at something,thats when you dont find it fun anymore.

Well, I played in the Sunbelt Conference... and I didn't play that much mind you. :lmao:

It indeed is sad that the owners and the players have ruined the game,Thats the same with football as well. I wish i had been good enough to go as far as two years in college to play it as you did,man that is so cool.I stopped in high school though because thats when i wasnt good at it anymore.when your not good at something,thats when you dont find it fun anymore.

Well, I played in the Sunbelt Conference... and I didn't play that much mind you. :lmao:

A Bench warmer like I was in high school when i played football eh?:biggrin:

I was a bench warmer in football because i did not get to start playing it till my junior year in high school so i only got to play it two years.Fucking parents wouldnt let me while growing up which is why i did not shed much of tear when they passed on.:mad:

I was a bench warmer in football because i did not get to start playing it till my junior year in high school so i only got to play it two years.Fucking parents wouldnt let me while growing up which is why i did not shed much of tear when they passed on.:mad:
In that case, you are an asshole

That's kinda harsh man...

Baseball will be around long, long after anyone reading this forum is completely dust.

one of the most dumbass things I've seen in baseball
the player did not even know the rules of the game
Catcher Yadier Molina tagged McCutchen. After a moment's hesitation, LaRoche, thinking he was out, stepped off the bag. Molina tagged LaRoche and celebrated a rare double play.
Blunders beat Bucs

Forum List

Back